The true audiophile starting phones?
May 17, 2005 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

das_bill

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been here for a few months and read a lot. Right now I am still on my $100 dollar quest to get all the house sounds but I am always looking to the future. And in the future I see... $300 dollar headphones!

So these are the major contenders.

Sony SA5000
Sennheiser HD600
Beyer DT880
AKG 501
Sony CD3000
Grado SR325
Ety ER4S
Shure E4c
Audio Technica AD1000

Am I missing anything? these seem like all cans that can be had around 300. Maybe a STAX system? that is in the 400s but I will be having to get an amp anyway.

It seems like if you can stand in ear phones the Ety ER4S are the best looking at the recent "I rate my headphones threads". But I will probably get some open cans.

Eventually I want some Audio Technica W? headphones but those are a ways away.

Feel free to try to convince me one way or the other.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 13
All those headphones are considered as very good choises, IMO is more a matter of preference than anything else, what will make you take one route or the other, so begin to find out for yourself, there are a few meetings around try to attend one, and listen as many cans as you can, at the end are your ears the ones who decided which is the best suited for you....nobody cna decided for you dude...unfortunatelly, and sad but true....
wink.gif

May 17, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 13
I wouldn't really recommend the Ety's for home because I find them too bright with almost all my sources. They also tend to irritate my canals in the long run, and so are definitely not the greatest choice for leisure listening. Of course I can only speak for myself, and seeing that you have the ER-6's, they might actually be what you're ultimately looking for. Also, if you're planning to use the phones portably, the ety's are a no-brainer.

I would rule out the HD600's, DT880's and AKG501's, since it seems like you're source will be an Audigy. Unless you're planning to get a decent amp in the near future, the Audigy is definitely not enough to justify spending so much on those headphones. Have you considered the refurbished HD600's that were recently listed here for $178? At that price you can get the HD600's and a pretty good amp to top it off. I can't comment on their sound yet, since I've yet to get mine, but since you listen to "everything" I think you will like them.

Finally, I think the upper-end Grado's will suit you the best if you're not willing to get an amp. I've heard many of the Grado's, and I liked each for their own characteristics. They are easy to drive and don't require the use of an amp as much as the other phones. The only downside is that they might be uncomfortable for long listening sessions. Look into the SR325i's

Ultimately its hard to concretely recommend something, since first-hand experience is always better. Hopefully I narrowed it down a bit

May 17, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 13
AKG K340, if you can find a pair in good condition. Can be had for well under $300. They have the added bonus of being possible "true audiphile ending 'phones", if your main concern is musicality over having the last word in technical merit. Apparently they can also be modded to improve the technical aspects, but I've not personally heard a fully modded set - I've had a simple recable and that does seem to make them more accurate (not that they're too terribly inaccurate to begin with).

May 17, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 13
A Stax system makes sense financially if you're going to be buying a headphone + an amp at the same time. However, with the Stax, there's less potential for component swapping - there are far fewer electrostatic amplifiers than there are dynamic amplifiers, and the choices we do have are going to be mostly very expensive ($1k+). However, I would say that for the price, the SR-404/SRM-313 combination is a really great deal. I've got mine from Audiocubes for $879, and it can be perhaps found for less. This is what you'd expect to pay for a $300-ish headphone + amp.

Component matching is very important in a Stax rig. You'll need a warm-sounding player with soft treble to make the system really sing. A bright source with steely treble, which a lot of digital sources have, isn't going to be a good match for the system, and it'll sound thin and bright.

The system will rival any dynamic setup you could have at the price, and beat one in many respects. It won't have the bass impact, and it will be slightly lean in the midbass and bright in the lower treble (and I must emphasize the word slightly), but it will also sound smooth, remarkably clear, and very detailed, with a natural, effortless sound.

Of course, if you look at my profile, you'll know that I'm biased
lambda.gif
However, it is something you should seriously consider if you'll be spending this much money.

[Edit: P.S. An Audigy definitely isn't a source you'd want to match the SR-404 with! Maybe an E-MU 0404 or 1212 would make the cut if you play exclusively lossless music. Stax systems are the primadonnas of audio, and require exclusively quality components at all points along the signal path.]

May 17, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 13
The source won't be an audigy. I will have a stand alone SACD player. But I will also use it on my computer a lot and will be getting a new soundcard. The EMU 1212 looks nice but I might get a bithead. The main question I had is if I was missing anything on my list. But it seems I got it mostly right. So now I just have to wait for the seattle head fi meet. That should be fun.

Basically Don't worry about the source. It is coming
icon10.gif

May 17, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 13
IMO, the Sennheiser HD650 should be on your list to audition. I believe that you can purchase a set new for right around $300.

I'm also a huge fan of the Sony CD3000, but it will be tougher to find (out of production). On the USED market, you might catch one for $250-285 depending on age/condition. Don't make the mistake of thinking, as I did, that the SA5000 has to be an improvement on its older sibling. The two products are quite different, sonically, so do give it a critical listen before you plunge (either way) unless you are prepared, like some of us, to go through the buying/selling/trading process in pursuit of your ideal headphone.

I absolutely agree with SovKiller -- you should rely upon your own tastes and preferences to judge headphones. There's no shortage of opinions about all of these cans for your reading enjoyment (
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and you'll find much of to be contradictory. In the final analysis, it will come down to your own ears.

Ken

May 17, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 13
I am actually going to go try some sennheisers next week at magnolia hi fi. I am bringing my A500s and ety's for comparison. hd595, 600 and 650. I really liked the sound of the 555 when i tried it for a few minutes hopefully they others will be quite a bit better.

May 17, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 13
quick recommendation: go second hand. most headfiers take good care of their headphones so there is good money to be saved

May 17, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Your thread title is misleading.. BUT:

I think the ultimate audiophile starter headphone out of that list is the:

Beyer DT880.

True performer with amazing dynamics - what audiophiles love.

I don't think really anything in your setup is "audiophile" especially that Audigy 2 - that may be a better upgrade. Just a thought.

May 17, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 13
I would go with the Senn HD-580 or HD-600. They are very good sounding headphones with slightly laid back presentation. Some phones might sound more exciting, but I totally agree with Tyll that these phones are the best entry into audiophile listening. If you dislike either of them, change to Grado SR-225 or pick up a pair of Sony MDR-CD3000. The HD-580/HD-600 also benefit from upgraded cable.

May 17, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 13
Since everyone is so adamant in pointing out the audigy 2 sucks I will tell you what I will be buying once I have the money.

Sony SCD-CE595 / NAD C320BEE
Gilmore Light

I am building a CMoy and getting a chaintech av 710 in the mean time.

Right now I have no job and am going to college so there are no funds. But I have a job that starts in june. Where I will make a decent amount of money.

Just like I said don't worry about the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back