The Total Airhead from HR good enough for the HD650???
Mar 24, 2008 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

adkimemory

Head-Fier
I was thinking about buying the HD650 sometime in the near future, but know that I'll have to buy an amp for it. I have a total airhead amp right now, and was wondering if it would be enough to efficiently drive a HD650 "well??"

If not, what other amps do you recommend for the HD650?? I listen to rock and classical, not too heavy on hip hop or hard rock... so Bass isn't really as important to me...

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 9
"good enough" is far too subjective. What might be good enough for one person, might be mediocre by the next person. I would say try it when you get the 650's - if "you" don't like it, then save some more money for a better amp, perhaps a desktop amp with more drive capability. If however, the amp you have sounds good enough to you, then you are done
wink.gif

Will

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 9
But I don't really know the capacity of the HD650. I could think that it sounds amazing at 80% using the total airhead, when it has the capacity to go 100%. I really don't want to mistaken the 80% as the HD650's highest capability.

I really want to use it to its 95% potential.

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm not happy with an Airhead driving the 650. Not enough guts to drive the 650's in all honesty. The 650's need quite a lot in reserve to drive them properly. Maybe an Airhead would be more appropriate with a 595.

Ian

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 9
I used an Airhead to drive HD650's for about a month and it sounded OK. They were definitely a bump up from the HD555's. If you are planning on upgrading your amp later on I think the airhead would be fine as an interim amp (I moved on to a Gilmore Lite). But if you aren't planning on upgrading the amp, you might want to try the 555/595 (Not sure about 580's).

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 9
My $.02...

When I bought my HD650's, I knew I'd need an amp. I had blown most of my budget (at the time) on the 650's themselves, and so I needed something that would be 'acceptable' but also inexpensive. My first headphone amp was a Total Bithead from HR. Same thing as an Airhead but with the DAC. It was ok, but I wasn't all that blown away. So I ordered a PA2V2 on eBay from the guy that makes them, as they were supposed to have a good reputation. Once it arrived, I would compare them back-to-back and I'd return/resell whichever one I liked the least. Within a few hours, I had decided to return the Bithead. The PA2V2 just seemed to do a better job.

Two key reasons for me, 1) the bass was better with the PA2V2, 'fuller' and 2) the bithead seemed to readily pick up & amplify GSM cell phone interference, even if my phone was several feet away. It was annoying.

For a 'cheap' headphone amp, I'd definitely recommend the PA2V2.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 9
The HD-650 will sound flabby at the low end and veiled overall. If you can live with that, the portable will be fine.

If you're looking to save a buck, pick up an old receiver with a headphone jack. Some of them are great with headphones. You can find them easily at garage sales, thrift/junk stores and Craigslist. Most are heavy, so it pays to buy local instead of having one shipped. Most of them have phono stages, which is great if you want to try vinyl.

You should be able to get one for $10-$50, which is a big savings over a portable.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by adkimemory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595 huh...

how about the HD580??
I really want to know how much I can squeeze out of my total airhead.

The 595 is an easier load for those little portable amps. Less bass punch but a marvellous headphone. Clean sounding and just easier to drive.

However, if you want to upgrade the amp later, the 650 is a fantastic headphone which will not sound so good with little portable amps. However they would work and you would hear sound through them!!

The Bithead finds the 650 a difficult load once you up the voume and so does the Pocket Amp. I have both and if I'm honest, they aren't the best thing to drive such a great headphone. They drive the 595 better..

Actually, the Pocket Amp works really well with the Grados imo. Slightly mellows the sound.

I bit the bullet and did a deal with a shop for a decent amp with the Senn 650 and they went with it for me. You need something with some real oomph behind it to push the Senns. The sound was worth it.

With a portable amp, you can detect clipping at higher volume so you would have to keep the sound low to keep it relatively clean sounding which isn't very satisfying for a lot of music.

The 580's are also quite a difficult headphone to drive properly.

Don't get me wrong ... they will work but you will start to complain of thick bass, veils, the 'Sennheiser' sound, clipping. (Many of the things that Headphiers complain about when they aren't giving the Senns a decent signal)

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back