The Top 20 Most Overrated Bands Of All Time
Feb 25, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 64
have you ever learned a neil peart drum piece and been able to competently play it?

Rush is like Styx, with balls.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #17 of 64

I thought Neil Peart was supposed to be the gold standard (?). How is he overrated, in what ways?

Neil Peart is like a great little league ballplayer playing in the major leagues. Yes he's great but in the minor leagues of hard rock. The major leagues include drummers from all style and genres of music. Now in Mr. Peart's defense I will say that I have never heard him play anything other than Rush's very basic rock music so perhaps he is capable of playing other styles of music with the same high degree of ability that he plays Rush's music. I, for one, would to hear him do that and prove that I'm wrong and all his loyal fans are right.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #18 of 64
Wow! Rush overrated?? Am I reading that right? Lol oh my..some bands on that list sure overrated,korn. U2.ill give you that. Snoop dog,omg yes lol rush would have the one of the most if not the most talented band on that list by a HUGE margin imo. Van halen? Eddie van halen not only a revolutionary guitar player and changed the way people played guitar for many years,is also a very good musician,underrated?.not so much. That's only naming a couple on that list. Kinda confusing for me sorry. Just my opinion. :)

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #19 of 64
well if he is so mediocre- name 5 drummers better than him?
T
R
O
L
L

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 64
If the point of this thread was to get a response, @Redcarmoose, you've delivered in spades 
biggrin.gif
 Big time trolling! 
evil_smiley.gif

A lot of these bands are rated for good reason, as I'm sure you know. Anyone with a decent knowledge of the history of electronic music understands the lasting influence of Kraftwerk - they had contemporaries in the 70s Krautrock scene also experimenting with synths (Faust, Neu!, Harmonia, Kluster to name just a few), but none who so clearly defined the template for Electro into the 80s and beyond. Kraftwerk's influence on electronic music is probably as great as The Beatles on rock and pop. If you're going to say they're overrated, then you might as well say The Beatles are overrated. I'm not a fan of The Beatles myself, but I'd never deny their influence.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 64
How is Snoop Dogg a band...

Oh wait, the list includes individuals as well as "bands'? Well then Mariah Carey gets my vote!

Anyway isn't Snoop Dogg now Snoop Lion? Or is it Snoop Walrus, Penguin, Unicorn, Buffalo, Tiger, Leopard, Frog, Fish, Shark, ........

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #23 of 64
How is Snoop Dogg a band...

Two records resulting from Snoop Dog. A performer not a band. Overrated. The thread was made just to point out artists which some think are overrated. Yes, everyone is going to have a different idea. Most I placed on the list may have had a great album but as a whole I think the general public places them higher than maybe they should? Still that's celebrity honor, right, you get noted for stuff you did 50 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggystyle

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #24 of 64
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joshua_Tree

U2 made a great record in 1987, still they are now equal to elder statesman who's political opinions are up there with the Vatican?

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #25 of 64
OASIS

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #27 of 64
Having Rammstein on a list alongside bands like The Who and AC/DC hurts my soul.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #29 of 64

Neil Peart is like a great little league ballplayer playing in the major leagues. Yes he's great but in the minor leagues of hard rock. The major leagues include drummers from all style and genres of music. Now in Mr. Peart's defense I will say that I have never heard him play anything other than Rush's very basic rock music so perhaps he is capable of playing other styles of music with the same high degree of ability that he plays Rush's music. I, for one, would to hear him do that and prove that I'm wrong and all his loyal fans are right.

btw I enbolden to just have something stand out...am not shouting.

to ralphp@optonline  please let me enlighten you.

first off, did you know that in 1992 neil was invited to perform at a buddy rich memorial concert,
along with many other drumming greats, by buddy rich's daughter?
neil was so unhappy with his performance upon video playback, that he underwent the tutelage
of jazz drumming great freddie gruber and really expanded his repetoire as a professonal musician: how to breathe, move,
even wear proper drumming shoes (he'd also approached journey's drummer, steve smith,
because he'd observed improvement in his playing and asked him what was up... and smith
recommended peter erskine and i think--but am not sure--gruber).

***hope everyone enjoys the articles i provided below...i enjoyed reading them and wanted to share.***

[size=24.57px]Burning For Buddy: Neil Peart’s Jazz Pilgrimage[/size]
http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/neil-pearts-jazz-pilgrimage/

..so like a humble pro, neil embraced Gruber as a teacher to continue to learn jazz drumming and more technique,
such that he later collaborated with many drummers on 2 cds in tribute to buddy rich,
'burning for buddy' vols 1 and 2 (see below)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_for_Buddy:_A_Tribute_to_the_Music_of_Buddy_Rich

....and yes Neil performs buddy rich tracks on both CDs.
Neil has said that he 'loved that man' buddy rich...like many young and impressionable drummers
growing up he used to watch the master perform on late night tv.

Here he is performing a buddy rich tune many yrs after he'd immersed himself in jazz:

modern drummer: 'the reinvention of neil peart'
http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19961100moderndrummer.htm

neil peart on the pursuit of excellence
http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/rush-drum-legend-neil-peart-on-the-pursuit-of-excellence-604582

i've been blessed to have seen Rush some 15-20x over the last 35 yrs...watching Neil slam
those skins in a live performance is a truly memorable experience....it's hard
to take your eyes off of him...and that he's been repeatedly honoured by fans and drummers alike
as among the top 10 in major polls and drumming magazines, says alot.
cool.gif

and btw, here is the master himself, the 'jimmy hendrix' of the drums in terms of respect and influence among musicians:
buddy rich smoking those skins...and wearing a suit!! oh man those drummers had both class and balls back then.

FYI in wikipedia:
both jon bonham (zeppelin) and buddy rich were both largely self taught drummers.

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #30 of 64
maybe you should do more research then...what an ill informed comment.:rolleyes:

did you know that in 1992 neil was invited to perform at a buddy rich memorial concert,
along with many other drumming greats, by buddy rich's daughter?
neil was so unhappy with his performance upon video playback, that he underwent the tutelage
of jazz drumming great freddie gruber and learned so much technique: how to breathe, move,
even wear proper drumming shoes (he also approached journey's drummer, steve smith,
as he'd noted improvement and recommended peter erskine.
..so like a humble pro, he immersed himself to continue to learn JAZZ drumming and technique,
such that he later collaborated with many drummers on 2 cds in tribute to buddy rich, 'burning for buddy' vols 1 and 2.
Neil 'loved' the man...like many drummers he used to watch him on latenight tv.

modern drummer: 'the reinvention of neil peart'
http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19961100moderndrummer.htm

neil peart on the pursuit of excellence
http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/rush-drum-legend-neil-peart-on-the-pursuit-of-excellence-604582

i've been blessed to have seen Rush some 15-20x over the last 35 yrs...watching neil slam
those skins live is a truly memorable experience...and that he's been repeatedly honoured by fans and drummers alike
as among the best in major polls and drumming magazines, say alot.:cool:  

and btw, here is the master himself, the 'jimmy hendrix' of the drums in terms of respect and influence among musicians:
buddy rich smoking those skins...and wearing a suit!! oh man those drummers had both class and balls back then.
Oo boy you are a Canadian ofcourse you will support Rush. ☺. I actually love Rush, seen them live starting with Moving Pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back