The Tomahawk appreciation thread.
Dec 24, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #63 of 230
Mrarroyo - you have a three-way comparison to do (Tomahawk vs. Portaphile vs. Headphonia) for all of us Head-Fiers in the market for a new amp. Since the Portaphile's been around for awhile, the Tomahawk & Headphonia will be of great interest to me. Wouldn't it be something if the Headphonia with all its great features (x-feed, gain switch, impedence switch - I'm talking about the $179 model) performed as well as/outperformed Rays new Tomahawk?!

Dec 24, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #64 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mrarroyo - you have a three-way comparison to do (Tomahawk vs. Portaphile vs. Headphonia) for all of us Head-Fiers in the market for a new amp. Since the Portaphile's been around for awhile, the Tomahawk & Headphonia will be of great interest to me. Wouldn't it be something if the Headphonia with all its great features (x-feed, gain switch, impedence switch - I'm talking about the $179 model) performed as well as/outperformed Rays new Tomahawk?!

Well they were breaking in untill I ran out of batteries for the Portaphile. Heck I went out and bought more and I realize I can not afford to feed this monster. So I ordered the Elpac 24v DC WM080-1950-760 linear regulated power supply to use for the burn in and at home. When you get the fully decked Portaphiled V2^2 witht he LT1210 virtual ground and all the switches (except gain) on it goes thru batteries in a couple or three hours.

I thought the Headphonia was going to be a battery hog but it has been going on for over 30 hours with the original battery (gain in low). It sound very balanced with a deep base.

The Tomahawk has maybe 24 hours of burn in and if it is anything like the Hornet it will take 400 hours so I thank God its supposed to last 400 hours w/o needing new batteries. As you know it is the smallest of the three, for me being a big and clumsy guy I find the Tomahawk to easy to forget is there. I will either have to get used to its small size or keep using the Hornet.

At the rate they are burning in it will be at least 3 weeks I will be ready for a comparison specially since I ahve to wait for the power supply.

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #67 of 230
I'm completely confused. Why are the white tomahawks silver now? I originally thought they were exactly the same as the pictures so I was hoping to get one to match my white ipod. This false advertising is kinda troublesome since I prefer a cheaper yet better looking black one now.

And why is the clear one more expensive? Could someone clear this for me?

Dec 26, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #68 of 230
why isn't the price on RSA's site?

how much is it?

will this drive HD-650s?

I assume it should be able to drive Grado HP-1s just fine since it is used to drive other grados just fine

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #69 of 230
Can sombody tell me how these things are working with the Shure E500s? When I run my E500s threw the iPod unamped, everything sounds extremely compressed, with little seperation between the lows and the mids. Also, the treble roll off is pretty bad. I know this is a weird way to describe the sound, but it sounds "lazy" to me. How has the Tom changed the sound of your E500s?

Dec 26, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #70 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nenso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm completely confused. Why are the white tomahawks silver now? I originally thought they were exactly the same as the pictures so I was hoping to get one to match my white ipod. This false advertising is kinda troublesome since I prefer a cheaper yet better looking black one now.

And why is the clear one more expensive? Could someone clear this for me?

They were always silver. The pictures were slightly off. Its more expensive I believe because its harder to manufacture. Don't be mad at Ray. He never said it was white and actually said a couple time it was silverish. Plus he only created the color because so many people asked for it. So, you shouldnt bite his hand because he went out of the way to get the customers happy.

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #71 of 230
He's not biting his hand, the pictures displayed the Tomahawk as being white, so thats what people will expect..

By the way, what is the procedure of ordering one of these? the RSA site is difficult to navigate and it's not very clear how you pay for things and set up orders.

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #73 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by OGTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's not biting his hand, the pictures displayed the Tomahawk as being white, so thats what people will expect..

x2. he also mentioned that it's either black or white/clear, which by standard terms does not equal silver. here's what he wrote and showed:

Quote:

Black Tomahawk shipped in the US including 3% pa-pal fee is $271.92

White/Clear Tomahawk shipped in the US including 3% pay-pal fee is $285.22

Black Tomahawk shipped out of US continent including 4% pay-pal fee is $284.96.

White/clear Tomahawk shipped out of US continent including 4% pay-pal fee is $295.36.

DSC_0022.jpg

Dec 26, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #75 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. he also mentioned that it's either black or white/clear, which by standard terms does not equal silver. here's what he wrote and showed:

DSC_0022.jpg

That pic is way overexposed. Very obvious from how the silkscreening on the top is all blown out.

Ray should rename the color "Light Silver".

I'm digging the two tone look of the Black Tomahawk. I think the "Light Silver" Tomahawk would look better with perhaps bronze Silkscreening, and matching Bronze Volume knob. Perhaps a deep Copper color.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back