The Tomahawk appreciation thread.
Dec 21, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #31 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you guys going to go about burning in the little fella?

I just use it whenever I listen to music. I listen to my ipod at work, but I can also use it at home for the next few weeks to burn it in.

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #33 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 12 hours break in, this little amp sounds AWESOME. I'm really kind of shocked. I've been listening to it here at work for about the last 30 mins with mt DT880's (NOT the headphones it was designed for), and man it's really too good to be true for the size.

I feel like a 4 years old boy. That's how far I can remember of my first Christmas present from "Santa".

My Koss Porta Pro sounds like a set of $300 phones with this amp...
rs1smile.gif
(Normal volume at 9 o'clock position in Low gain mode).

Dec 22, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #35 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T003 landed today, it is the baby sibling to my 9003 Hornet.

I tried taking pictures side by side but my camera is blurring everything.

Did you forget to enable Macro ?

If you can't zoom close enough, you can just take the shot from the distance to make sure the camera can focus properly, and you can crop the picture later.

I'd love to see your amps....
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #36 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No hiss then?

Virtually none.

With my Triple.fi's hiss starts to be audiable at the 3 o'clock position. And fully cranked, it's difficult to hear. This is with the line out from my iRiver iHP-120.

You would be instantly deaf if you played music at this volume.

For Low Gain with nothing plugged into the input jack, there is no hiss that I can even hear, even with the volume cranked to the max.

For High Gain, hiss starts at about 1 o'clock, but no way I'd want to listen at that volume either.

-Ed

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #37 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T003 landed today, it is the baby sibling to my 9003 Hornet, which is the little brother of the XP-7

IMG_0488.JPG

LOL, the XP-7 simply look gargantuan compared to the Hornet and Tomahawk.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #40 of 230
This may or may not be the "proper" place to ask, but I'm asking. I'll be getting the Tomahawk anytime now but all I have to listen through are some Sennheiser HD280 Pro's(64ohm) or my *gasp* Ipod nano earbuds. I've been doing some research and am leaning towards shure E4's or UE super.fi 5 pros. I need a great seal since these will be used while playing the drums. Any pointers would be wonderful. Oh, and I already have an ALO cryodock awaiting it's launch.
biggrin.gif
It's only been a couple of weeks and I'm already going broke here. I love/hate you guys
very_evil_smiley.gif
280smile.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #41 of 230
Received #T042 about an hour ago. This little amp is dead quiet with my ES2's. It sounds pretty good right out of the box. Ray wasn't kidding about the bass. It goes deep. Can't wait to see how it improves with burn-in. Not sure if the Hornet had them, but the Tomahawk has these locking input and output jacks. Once your DAP is hooked up and headphones are connected, your cables are locked in place in the Tomahawk jacks. Nifty feature. ALO Jumbo interconnects will fit,no problem. I was a little worried about my Jumbo Cryo mini fitting, the connectors are huge- just makes it.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #42 of 230
Can I use the Tomahawk with my 225's and my future favs. MS2i's, or is that a job for the hornet. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive way to get into using a headphone amp, and am looking for alternatives to the RA-1 from Grado.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #43 of 230
Tomahawk T028 arrived this morning (California)... Ray shipped it on the 20th (Wednesday).... can't wait to get home and get my hands on those AAAs.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #44 of 230
sounds great with both K501 & HD580!
eggosmile.gif
not as resolving as H5, but more bassy (yeah, it's not burned in yet)
tomahawkback.jpg

ipodtoma.jpg

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #45 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpusRob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I use the Tomahawk with my 225's and my future favs. MS2i's, or is that a job for the hornet. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive way to get into using a headphone amp, and am looking for alternatives to the RA-1 from Grado.

Skylab was using it with his 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990's. I just plugged my RS-2's into it and it's at a pretty loud volume with the volume knob just under 1/4 of the way with high gain. You can certainly use the 225's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back