The Tomahawk appreciation thread.
Dec 21, 2006 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 230

3x331m

Headphoneus Supremus
As some of us have already received the Tomahawk of the first batch of production from "Santa Ray" (RSA), I think we can use this thread to exchange our information, and share our excitement on this new little gem.

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's mine.

Edwood_PortableRig_12-20-06_01.jpg

I am really busy and have travel coming up, so I'll be able to give the Tomahawk a proper review later, including my customary pr*n pics.
wink.gif

-Ed

OOOOHHHH! Triple-Fi's and a Tommo! Your trying to kill me right?

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 230
Quote:

Here's mine.

I am really busy and have travel coming up, so I'll be able to give the Tomahawk a proper review later, including my customary pr*n pics.
wink.gif

-Ed

Looking forward to your impressions.

Since this has the same (?) 15,000uf cap that's in the M-Hornet, I wonder if this amp will also mature between 350-400 hours!? Since I don't yet have one to test, I'll be following the new user posts.

Enjoy!

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, it's really, really small. What a good looking amp. That iRiver looks like an 80s boombox next to it. Ed, is it difficult to operate due to its size?

The space between the input jack and headphone jack is pretty tight, but as long as you don't use ginormous IC's it's OK.

The volume knob is tiny, but I get a good grip on it, because of the ribbing, grooves in it.

Yeah, my iRiver is huge compared to my Tomahawk, but they are a perfect combo. The Tomahawk gets me finer volume control and filters all the noise out at the very least.

Everything else is icing on the cake. As I hear it so far, there is a lot of icing on this cake.
wink.gif

I'll have an early review up after I've had some time to listen more.

So far the only real objective results I have so far are, the noise floor is very low. Much lower than my PIMETA (with OPA627/637) and my CMoy. This ain't no CMoy, that's for sure.

-Ed

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to your impressions.

Since this has the same (?) 15,000uf cap that's in the M-Hornet, I wonder if this amp will also mature between 350-400 hours!? Since I don't yet have one to test, I'll be following the new user posts.

Enjoy!

Ray mentioned this in the other Tomahawk thread, and I recall that burn-in is a good long time. I forget the exact number of hours, but I [start strikethrough here]*think* it is around 200[/strikethrough] according to Ray.

EDIT: Here's the post I was referring to. Ray doesn't actually specify a burn-in time, but you can infer that 300-400 hours is not unreasonable.

Quote:

Yeah, my iRiver is huge compared to my Tomahawk, but they are a perfect combo. The Tomahawk gets me finer volume control and filters all the noise out at the very least.

-Ed

That's great to hear. Exactly why I ordered it.

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #13 of 230
Wow -- nice ... I hadn't realized this was out and ran accross it. Just emailed Ray regarding the Hornet ... which I wanted to buy ... haven't heard back yet ... but saw this ... which is smaller and for IEMs ...

Is / Does Ray still have any availability left for the Tomahawk ... I think i would prefer to get this to mate with my Shure E500's.

Thanks,

- raj

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by rajs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow -- nice ... I hadn't realized this was out and ran accross it. Just emailed Ray regarding the Hornet ... which I wanted to buy ... haven't heard back yet ... but saw this ... which is smaller and for IEMs ...

Is / Does Ray still have any availability left for the Tomahawk ... I think i would prefer to get this to mate with my Shure E500's.

Thanks,

- raj

THe tomahaws was designed specifically for IEMs. IT would likely drive the Sure E500's fantastic I believe that was one of the IEMs Ray posted about using when designing the amo. It is not designed for the more power hungry of the full size headphones though. Rayn posted that it will drive some of them fine but not all of them. If you plan on using the IEMs most of the time this would seem to be a great choice.

There will be more Tomohawks available, production is just getting going on them. The number of Tomahawks was not limited only the price which ran until midnight December 15th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back