The tip of my 1/4" jack on my HE-500's just broke off inside my DAC!
May 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #16 of 23
Double sided tape..hmm..
confused_face.gif
. Either it will stick to the inside of the socket, or it´s not strong enough. Think of the force it takes to pull out a jackplug..all because of that little spring in the back..
Epoxy might be a good idea. It will give you 5-10 mins. before it cures. But it will feel like an eternity, if you are sitting and holding a stick in place 
biggrin.gif
Pull out your flashlight and check out the socket. Maybe you will get lucky with a little screwdriver. Have you tried to take a look inside the box? The socket is probably a closed unit, but if it has an opening in the back, it would make things easier.

May 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #17 of 23
Guys, there is a reason your headphone cables don't fall out of the jack. The connections are spring loaded and clip into place. The tip of the cable is not going to come out from tape. It's the one part of the headphone that actually holds it in place.

He lucked out at least that it's a 1/4" jack and not a 1/8. He will need to take the DAC apart and push the connector out from the other end of the jack. This has the highest chance of success.

If you absolutely cannot take it apart, then you need to relieve the spring pressure so that the part can come loose. You can try doing this with the cap from a ballpoint pen. Cut the pocket holder thing off so it's just a round, flat, hollow tube. Work this into the 1/8" jack with the opening facing down so that the part can fall out once it comes loose. IF you are lucky you can get it to fall into the pen cap and the pen cap will disengage the spring loaded clips holding it in. You might have better luck with the smaller end of the pen cap if you cut the tip off so it's hollow.

May 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #18 of 23
UPDATE:

I'm so frustrated right now, I'm not sure how to handle this situation. I've been in communication with customer service (Zhang Lu) for over a week now, and they have still been unable to remedy my situation. I was bantering back and forth through email with this person until about 4 days ago when all communication was cut off. Zhang asked me to confirm my address so that a new cable could be sent to me, again, this was 4 days ago and I've been unable to contact anyone at Hifiman. I just sent an email to all available address's on their website. I've given them a call to their customer service number which rings until a voicemail comes on saying that the "magic jack customer is out of service, leave a message", needless to say this is very disconcerting and I'm not sure how to approach this situation further if they do not respond to my repeated attempts. Here I am with a pair of $700 headphones I've used for all of a month, with a nearly $200 cable that broke off into my $250 DAC/amp. I thought Hifiman was an actual company, with actual corporate/consumer relations. How can a business deliver such a great product, and not have to B&M to reflect that? Absolutely the worst customer service experience I've ever had the displeasure to participating in, needless to say.

May 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #20 of 23
Thanks Netforce, they ending up responding to my mass email. Apparently they went ahead and sent the cable without telling me, should be getting it soon. Hopefully that's the end of my problems.

May 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #21 of 23
thanks for posting this, my aftermarket cable had to be repaired. in the meantime, i'll make sure not to use the stock cable on my HE-500, i always knew it was crap.

May 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:
thanks for posting this, my aftermarket cable had to be repaired. in the meantime, i'll make sure not to use the stock cable on my HE-500, i always knew it was crap.

The thing is, I don't even feel that way, I was just hit with confusion and disappointment when this happened. The cable is made of silver, and the joining of connector to wire on each ends are well insulated with bendable plastic, I think I would have a very hard time breaking it any other way. Hopefully it was just a fluke and I can pretend it never happened. Also, the cable they sent to me as a replacement was in a very nice leather carrying bag. I was completely blown away at everything about them up to that point, they just have to work on corporate/consumer relations.

May 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 23
my friend has also 2 HE-500 cables broken. one by pulling and the other just kept cutting out.

i don't think build quality is very good on them. the headphones themselves are pretty good though. they feel very solid, despite some cheap stuff like the pads (doesn't matter for pads since they're like 10$ for velours), the rest of the headphone is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back