The thrill of the hunt.//Where do we go from here?
Sep 27, 2006 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Meyvn

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, so I was looking over at my home system just now, and it struck me at last that there was only one headphone staring back at me. I was filled with two emotions: one, a feeling of great satisfaction and joy that I'd 'found it.' I'm there. It really is an amazing thing. Another was a small, nagging sort of sadness. A great part of the joy of hobbies for me is wrapped in buying things, upgrading, and tinkering. Now I'm satisfied with my source, my amp, and my headphones. The only small upgrade I have coming in for sure is the discrete headamp for the Zhaolu, so I'll have a slightly better preamp for my Aleph 3. But this is, for me, a pretty small tweak anyway.

So the real issue is here: what next? Do I leave Head-Fi, and just let these headphones become an integral part of my life the same way my car, my computer, and my television are? Or do I search for more? Should I be looking for a complement to their sound, like I've sort of been doing in my (thus far vain) search for a pair of Lambda Pros? I honestly don't find anything at all in their sound lacking to my tastes. I don't feel like I need more bass, I can't imagine a better midrange, and the highs are so fast and revealing without becoming shrill that I couldn't imagine them being better, either. The soundstage, which is very important to me, is simply unparalleled; I actually prefer this sound to even $10,000 floor standing speakers, because of the way it combines intimacy and the ability to surround me in music.

Yet still I feel like perhaps, if I just tried another headphone, I've had this great complement to the K1000s that I'd actually want to use for other things, that I could legitimately say: "Well, these are my ____ cans." Everyone talks about the bass rolloff in the K1000, and that it hurts certain kinds of musical, such as live recorded, concert hall orchestra. I don't listen to tons of classical, but do certainly like some of it a lot. Maybe a different headphone would give me a different perspective on it, and get me to really want to listen to classical, and get me well versed in it. Some say the Omega IIs are amazing in this regard. I really liked them when I heard them, but not as well as I liked the K1000s. Then again, I did not listen to them with classical orchestral music. I also did not spend a very long time with them.

And it's not that I haven't heard enough headphones, either; I've heard plenty of great systems. The SR-007, the GS1000, the K1000, HD650/600, K701, K340, MDR-SA5000, W5000. By now I think it's fair to say I'm pretty sure I know what I like when I hear it.

Anyway, what would you guys recommend? Cut and run, and give this up as a hobby? Or stick around? If the latter, recommendations are always good. I'd appreciate it if you stuck to headphones, though. I really am happy with my source and amp, and really have heard other higher end ones.

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 24
i don't see an amp between your portable/bed source and cans...
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i don't see an amp between your portable/bed source and cans...
evil_smiley.gif

Haha. I have a PA2V2 and I do like it, but I really don't think I want to be toting a portable amp around. I feel a little too out of the closet with the K81DJ as is. As to the bed rig, it's becoming the video game rig! I'm actually using it with my PS2, and through my Sony receiver's headphone amp, which actually doesn't sound too bad. That's the one area I'm not totally satisfied with, though, honestly. I may have to get an A/130 or something instead of the SR125. I'm kind of missing the old clamp. Maybe you're onto something, though. Maybe pursuing my secondary rigs is a wise decision for now, until something primary comes along that impresses me. Unfortunately, now I'm awfully tempted to just get an extension cord for the K1000 and my PS2's RCA outputs.

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 24
buy a DT770 for the gaming rig. you can use your PAV2 for it...for now...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 24
I dunno; but I am terribly smitten by all things Alessandro.

I'd love to have one of his amps for my guitar, but I do have a couple of his versions of Grados' to cover my ears. Perhaps your SR-125 could use a refreshing at that!

Giving up the hobby? Nah! Not while there's any strength at all left in your wallet!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 24
I had a similar sort of mental dilemma when my parents bought me the O2 for my 21st. All of a sudden I had been catapulted to the top of the pile. It was like Frodo taking a helecopter from the shire to mt doom and the whole quest being over in a day.

I couldnt quit head-fi though. Thatd just be silly. Once your rig is doing you love then you can get even more energy put into the music side of things. And theres always more to try. DIY amps (or headphones) Vinyl or portable audio for examples.

First You need to find those Lambdas though.

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I had a similar sort of mental dilemma when my parents bought me the O2 for my 21st. All of a sudden I had been catapulted to the top of the pile. It was like Frodo taking a helecopter from the shire to mt doom and the whole quest being over in a day.

I couldnt quit head-fi though. Thatd just be silly. Once your rig is doing you love then you can get even more energy put into the music side of things. And theres always more to try. DIY amps (or headphones) Vinyl or portable audio for examples.

First You need to find those Lambdas though.

Yeah. I don't think I'm ready to give up on the electrostatic possibilities yet.

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 24
somehow after i climbed the ladder, i found myself rebuying all the rungs i had to step on along the way. it started out with MS-1, then MS-2...and now look, they're coming back home!

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

somehow after i climbed the ladder, i found myself rebuying all the rungs i had to step on along the way. it started out with MS-1, then MS-2...and now look, they're coming back home!

I can certainly see me doing that with an SR-x0x headphone one day. Althoguh the 202 isnt availible seperately.

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Don't know yet if it's just an illness or a genetic defect; but it allows the upgraditus bug the ability to disable the MS re-uptake inhibitor in the brain.

Serious but not deadly; entirely. The only way to cure it is to visit a Pro.

.....I seem to have contracted it myself, the first stage......first time through.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 24
I agree with the OP.

The K1000/Aleph 3 combo has magical synergy, and is by far the best sounding dynamic headphone rig I have heard to date (and I have owned and heard quite a bit of gear over the years).

If I was in dire need of money, I would sell off all of my gear except for the K1K/Aleph 3 combo.

To answer the OPs original question, IMHO you aren't going to do much better in the world of Dynamic headphones. As such, I would suggest you explore the possibilities that the world of electrostatic headphones can provide.

That is the route I took once I was content with my dynamic rig. I scored a pair of Lambda Pros with an SRD-7 pro. Using the Aleph 3, I can drive the K1000s or the Lambda Pros with the flick of a switch on the SRD-7 pro. As a fellow K1K owner, I can safely say that my Lamda Pros being driven by my Aleph 3 are a wonderful complement to the K1Ks. The Lambda Pros sound so good to my ears that they give the K1Ks a run for their money. There is something very magical about the Lambda Pros that I can't quite put my finger on - I really enjoy listening to them. I am dying to hear what a pair of Omega 2s sound like being driven by the Aleph 3. *drools on self*

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 24
If you can't think of anything to upgrade, just sit back and enjoy the music... that's what I do, at least.

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 24
I'm having a similar dilemma but in a different way. The place my rig is at is fairly well balanced between source, amp and cans, and any upgrade would be an expensive one which I can't afford as a student again. Which means that head-fi can be an interesting read, but not a very productive one as I have NO chance of doing anything about it.

Sep 27, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
It's called the HE90, and you know you'll never rest until you have it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Surprisingly enough, I'm not actually that curious about it. If someone here had it, I'd undoubtedly give it a listen, but that much money is not even in my realm of thought to spend, particularly given reports that its soundstage isn't even as good as the SR-007, which still isn't as good as the K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back