The Thraaaaash Metalllllllll Thread! (thrash metal)
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #32 of 159
I'm glad you guys like Anacrusis. I always felt they never got enough love.

While I'm here, I think I'll ask for some specific Thrash reccommendations.

Basically, I'm after Thrash with the following elements:

A) A Really good singer with a good vocal range (Think Hetfield, Bobby Blitz, Mustaine on a good day, etc)

B) Melt your face riffs that get stuck in your head (Megadeth, Metallica, Overkill, Annihilator, etc)

C) Melody

Basically I'm not a huge fan of 'dirty' Thrash and prefer stuff like aforementioned bands.

Cheers!

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #34 of 159
Have been spending about half my time checking out bands that some of you guys and others posted when I made a thread asking for recommends (many thanks for that) and probably the other half listening to Dissection.

Thus far I've listened to and been impressed by
Dark Angel - Darkness Decends, Leave Scars
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Metal Church - The Dark
Mercyful Fate - The Beginning, Melissa (though I agree... not that thrashy. A mate made the comment that King Diamond makes Halford sound like Barry White >_<).

But what's really grabbed me has been Sadus. Listening to Swallowed in Black and A Vision of Misery, and they're exactly what I've been after. Fantastic aggression and killer riffs. I think it also helps that along with Kreator, the vocals on Sadus's albums aren't so overpowering that they drown out the riffing.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #35 of 159
I thought this said the "trash metal'" thread. I which case I had some comments...

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #36 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A) A Really good singer with a good vocal range (Think Hetfield, Bobby Blitz, Mustaine on a good day, etc)

B) Melt your face riffs that get stuck in your head (Megadeth, Metallica, Overkill, Annihilator, etc)

C) Melody

Doesn't quite fit all these categories, but if you are looking for something a bit more avant garde with clean vocals (although somewhat nasal sounding), try Thought Industry. I'd start with the first album Songs for Insects.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #37 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you guys like Anacrusis. I always felt they never got enough love.

C) Melody

Basically I'm not a huge fan of 'dirty' Thrash and prefer stuff like aforementioned bands.

Cheers!

How can you top two of the truely great thrash legends that are still putting out world class music 20+ years after debut:

Testament
Kreator

Each one has a huge stellar catalog of work that is beyond ctritique in the world of thrash, look at thier great albums released after 2000, check these out and explore back catalog:

Testament - Gathering & Formation of Damnation
Kreator - Violent Revolution & Enemy of God

For thrash vocals how do you top Chuck Billy of Testament................Hetfield from Metallica is weak vocally especially compared with the likes of Chuck

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #39 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you top two of the truely great thrash legends that are still putting out world class music 20+ years after debut:

Testament
Kreator

Each one has a huge stellar catalog of work that is beyond ctritique in the world of thrash, look at thier great albums released after 2000, check these out and explore back catalog:

Testament - Gathering & Formation of Damnation
Kreator - Violent Revolution & Enemy of God

For thrash vocals how do you top Chuck Billy of Testament................Hetfield from Metallica is weak vocally especially compared with the likes of Chuck

I second that.

On a side note, which of you bastards covered my Darkness Descends bid on the last 5 seconds on eBay a couple of minutes ago ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #44 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have been spending about half my time checking out bands that some of you guys and others posted when I made a thread asking for recommends (many thanks for that) and probably the other half listening to Dissection.

Thus far I've listened to and been impressed by
Dark Angel - Darkness Decends, Leave Scars
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Metal Church - The Dark
Mercyful Fate - The Beginning, Melissa

But what's really grabbed me has been Sadus. Listening to Swallowed in Black and A Vision of Misery, and they're exactly what I've been after. Fantastic aggression and killer riffs. I think it also helps that along with Kreator, the vocals on Sadus's albums aren't so overpowering that they drown out the riffing.

Listen to the newest Kreator "enemy of god" then you will realize how many great albums in between you need to get
confused_face.gif

Metal Church.....just buy them all up until "human factor" album, more mainstream but high quality stuff

Mercyful Fate......definitely get next album "don't break the oath" and King Diamond's "abigail" these are essential

Sadus
......albums are expensive but they have great 17 song collection made of 1st three albums called "chronicles of chaos"

617Ojs0zjKL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #45 of 159
Melvins... not exactly Thrash but good cross-over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back