The THD of Schiit Lyr
Jan 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GrowthValue

New Head-Fier
I am interesting in getting a Schiit Lyr, but its rather high THD bothers me. According to Schiit's own specifications, Lyr has THD less than 0.1%, which is considerably high compared to many other amps around the $500 range. Many of them have THD less than 0.01%, which is ten times less than Lyr's potential THD. 

I heart that many people praised Lyr's lush and warm sound. While I like the lush sound, I wonder whether the lush and warm sound is caused by the potential high THD. In my experience, high THD will affect the transparency of the sound. 

Please let me know if you experience noticeable THD from Lyr.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I thought Lyr is a hybrid amp, which may take the advantage of both SS and Tube and avoid the downside. Just wishful thinking. 

The Lyr is very receptive to tube rolling, it still has tube coloration, but you can cater the sound to what you want based on the tubes used. Some of my other tube amps I have owned/own tube rolling makes them sound a bit better or worse but the change with the Lyr is very dramatic to say the least.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Tubes tend to have lots of sound.  They can range from neutral to bright to warm etc.  My Little Dot had a rather bright sound with stock tubes, only when I switched to Mullards did it warm up to what people could describe as the normal tube warmth.

THD just adds harmonics around the range of that particular frequency.  If say, a 60hz sine wave has lots of THD, the amp could be playing lots of 120hz, 180hz along with the 60hz, causing for a fuller bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back