The Teenage Audiophile
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tanner116

100+ Head-Fier
Oh, the teenage audiophile. How misunderstood it is. So... Who else out there is a young audiophile? What about a... female teenage audiophile? I've been looking for head-fiers at my school, and just can't find them! Even worse, I can't find a single girl who even knows what Audio-Technica is!
So anyways, this forum is just to bring together all the teen audiophiles (or aspiring philes) to talk about all the stuff we want to! Share your gear, your rig, funny stories, make friends, PM people, get to know them, etc etc!

I'll start: I'm 15 and I'm from AZ. I have ATH-M50's, Grado 80i's, and a PA2v2. I like punk, alternative, and pop-punk. My uncle is the bassist in Jimmy Eat World. I like Star Wars and Magic the Gathering. I like hanging out with my friends! So... Yeah! I can't wait to see what else people post :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 17
There's plenty of teen audiophiles around these parts. 

As for female teenage audiophiles...Good luck finding them at all, much less girls in their teens. My wife(ish) is just starting to care and we've been together 5 years...

Quote:
Oh, the teenage audiophile. How misunderstood it is. So... Who else out there is a young audiophile? What about a... female teenage audiophile? I've been looking for head-fiers at my school, and just can't find them! Even worse, I can't find a single girl who even knows what Audio-Technica is!
So anyways, this forum is just to bring together all the teen audiophiles (or aspiring philes) to talk about all the stuff we want to! Share your gear, your rig, funny stories, make friends, PM people, get to know them, etc etc!

I'll start: I'm 15 and I'm from AZ. I have ATH-M50's, Grado 80i's, and a PA2v2. I like punk, alternative, and pop-punk. My uncle is the bassist in Jimmy Eat World. I like Star Wars and Magic the Gathering. I like hanging out with my friends! So... Yeah! I can't wait to see what else people post
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 17
Teen audiophile here. I also know 2 other audiophiles in my school, sadly, they're all male audiophiles. 

Look around and you'll find plenty. I used to think I'm the only one, but since I first came, I've ran into tons of teen audiophiles.

My current rig is Schiit Gungnir ---> Schiit Mjolnir ---> LCD-3/HD800.
I used the money I saved up for a new computer since my computer is 4 years old but I decided to get a new rig so now I'm desperately saving up for a computer. Nice meeting you~

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 17
I'm a teen audiophile as well, and also have trouble finding people that share the same passion. If I show friends my gear they enjoy it, but never really care enough to put money into an headphones or equipment. A couple of my friends really love my turntable, but I find it hard to buy vinyls growing up with digital audio at my disposal (better mastering sort of makes it worthwhile). I was actually just listening to The Middle by Jimmy Eat World, so I think that's really cool. I like a variety of music, such as folk, acoustic, classic rock, progressive metal, death metal, alternative, alternative-rock, punk, and electronic. I'm currently into mid-range headphones such as Grado's and Sennheiser's but am trying to go beyond that to neutral headphones. I'm finding the appeal difficult to grasp though since I've never heard one. No you're not alone there are plenty of us, but I doubt either of us will meet another teenage audiophile until we're no longer teens.

Edit: My current setups are: Asus Xonar DGX -> SR325IS/speakers
                                         AT-LP60 turntable -> Pioneer reciever -> SR325is/speakers

But during the summer I am going to save up some money and make them:

Pro-Ject Debut II Carbon Turntable -> Pro-Ject Phono Box S -> Graham Slee Novo -> AKG K 702/SR325is

Musical Fidelity V-DAC II -> Graham Slee Novo -> AKG K 702/SR325is

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Teen audiophile here. I also know 2 other audiophiles in my school, sadly, they're all male audiophiles. 

Look around and you'll find plenty. I used to think I'm the only one, but since I first came, I've ran into tons of teen audiophiles.

I used the money I saved up for a new computer since my computer is 4 years old but I decided to get a new rig so now I'm desperately saving up for a computer. Nice meeting you~

I feel your pain, I'm also a computer enthusiast and an audiophile. No money for anything else, only gear. Every time I feel my computer is up to par, my audio rig seems out of date. It's a terrible and never-ending money pit.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 17
I'm a teen audiophile as well, and also have trouble finding people that share the same passion. If I show friends my gear they enjoy it, but never really care enough to put money into an headphones or equipment. A couple of my friends really love my turntable, but I find it hard to buy vinyls growing up with digital audio at my disposal (better mastering sort of makes it worthwhile). I was actually just listening to The Middle by Jimmy Eat World, so I think that's really cool. I like a variety of music, such as folk, acoustic, classic rock, progressive metal, death metal, alternative, alternative-rock, punk, and electronic. I'm currently into mid-range headphones such as Grado's and Sennheiser's but am trying to go beyond that to neutral headphones. I'm finding the appeal difficult to grasp though since I've never heard one. No you're not alone there are plenty of us, but I doubt either of us will meet another teenage audiophile until we're no longer teens.

I totally agree! No one really appreciates how much more I get out of my music. I can actually hear rhythms that others can't! People with their iBuds... Or spending $400 on beats when they could spend it on AKG's or AT's... It's almost sad! I want to cry for them xD

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

That's a pretty sick set up as a teen, especially if it was your own money.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
That's a pretty sick set up as a teen, especially if it was your own money.

Can't really call it my own money since half of it came from my Parents for Chinese new year, but I got the other half doing Library monitor and Selling Ceramics. But this setup is just AWESOME.

Quote:
I feel your pain, I'm also a computer enthusiast and an audiophile. No money for anything else, only gear. Every time I feel my computer is up to par, my audio rig seems out of date. It's a terrible and never-ending money pit.

Yeah. I'm not much of a computer enthusiast but I saved up quite a bit of money ($4000) and I was going to get my friend to help me get something that's upgrade friendly and will last a few years before changing them, but I heard this setup.........

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 17
I feel your pain about computers... Just when I'm satisfied with my headphone rig, I'm running a 8 year old CPU in my desktop that's showing massive signs of aging...
Oh well, I'm upgrading it soon.
'Sup people?
17 and in High school. Only person I know IRL who's interested in audio is the friend who introduced me to this site.
My gear is in my sig. Too lazy to copy and paste it up.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Oh, the teenage audiophile. How misunderstood it is. So... Who else out there is a young audiophile? What about a... female teenage audiophile? 

me! although i guess now im almost 21, so im past my teens

wink.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #13 of 17
wow theres alot of teenage audiophile.
im 17 here just finished my highschool

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 17
I'm 14 and I just started listening to 1900s something music 2 years ago. I also listen to alternative and indie rock but modern music doesn't appeal to me. I've also been a fan of records since I was 10, but I find it hard to get hold of a turntable since nobody in the family has one, and they aren't really interested. Also I don't live in the US so it's pretty hard to get decent stuff here :frowning2: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back