The Swiss Head-Fiers official census
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #376 of 596
Btw I was thinking of something special for a later low cost model of mine. Would you guys find a DIY kit interesting? That's an easy way to save costs while delivering same performance. It would come with a premade 3D printed shell, so no fiddling with tubing, resin or dampers. Just solder the small circuit according to diagram, and push the drivers in their respective holding holes. Faceplate could probably be made with pins, so no glue needed.
I would like to learn, as a hobbyist how to make a R2R dac, tube AMP or a IEM, so if you create kits like that, let me know!

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #377 of 596
Sad news for testing the Traillii. For now it's not feasible as the margins are very very low and I have to pay a very high price just for a demo unit.

Also they raised the price to 6600$. Without VAT!

Sorry for everyone who was interested. 😞
Sure i was also interested to test... but never to buy😅
...but i was more interested to test and eventually to buy the Oriolus Isabaella...

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #378 of 596
Sure i was also interested to test... but never to buy😅
...but i was more interested to test and eventually to buy the Oriolus Isabaella...
Common with TOTL stuff :) listen to the best model company offers, then convince yourself that their lower end is as good (or close enough), and once you own, fell in love and rationalise a need for an upgrade, ending up owning the TOTL item down the line anyway, when funds allow for it, haha.

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #379 of 596
Common with TOTL stuff :) listen to the best model company offers, then convince yourself that their lower end is as good (or close enough), and once you own, fell in love and rationalise a need for an upgrade, ending up owning the TOTL item down the line anyway, when funds allow for it, haha.
Talking by experience???😉
I'm not so deep in the rabbit hole yet😅
Not even a question of funds...just unable to imagine spending 6k on an iem...but, as always, IMO, YMMV, ...

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #380 of 596
Talking by experience???😉
I'm not so deep in the rabbit hole yet😅
Not even a question of funds...just unable to imagine spending 6k on an iem...but, as always, IMO, YMMV, ...
Yeah, all started with Massdrop offering cheap IEMs from a manufacturer in Poland, who I met in person in CanJam London, liked their higher end CIEMs so much that I just ordered it, but then I had to match them with a DAP. I did not like wearing CIEMs at home, so ended up getting planar headphones, but they needed power so a dac/amp combo followed. This hobby grabs you by your wallet and shakes all the life out of it, haha.

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #381 of 596
I would like to learn, as a hobbyist how to make a R2R dac, tube AMP or a IEM, so if you create kits like that, let me know!
I'm just thinking what makes sense for people. One cheap model will come, but there are multiple options of what is possible: 1 Driver super low price but crazy good tuning for what it is(150-200$), 4 Driver with sublime bass, even better tuning, 300 as kit. IMO 300 for a kit is a bit steep, not sure if people are willing to pay that. Drivers are expensive sadly.

A pre assembled 6 Driver for 500$ will come for sure, with TOTL HF extension.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #382 of 596
I'm just thinking what makes sense for people. One cheap model will come, but there are multiple options of what is possible: 1 Driver super low price but crazy good tuning for what it is(150-200$), 4 Driver with sublime bass, even better tuning, 300 as kit and 400 pre assembled. IMO 300 for a kit is a bit steep, not sure if people are willing to pay that. Drivers are expensive sadly.
What about people who do not know how to solder?

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #383 of 596
What about people who do not know how to solder?
Hmm that's difficult. Soldering is quite easy, but if I offered premade internal wiring, the whole DIY process would be sticking the drivers in it and closing the faceplate. I thought about delivering the kit with different labelled electronic components, so everyone can change it to taste.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #384 of 596
Hmm that's difficult. Soldering is quite easy, but if I offered premade internal wiring, the whole DIY process would be sticking the drivers in it and closing the faceplate. I thought about delivering the kit with different labelled electronic components, so everyone can change it to taste.
I think IKEA got quite famous for doing exactly that, haha :) but I know what you mean.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #385 of 596
I think IKEA got quite famous for doing exactly that, haha :) but I know what you mean.
Well to me it's ok, but wouldn't you as a buyer find that too boring?

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #387 of 596
The issue is that I may not have tools necessary to solder. Not difficult to get I grant you that, but for one time thing?
Hmm I personally use a $180 soldering station for production. Soldering irons are available from 15 CHF online, if this is an issue I can include one in the kit.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #388 of 596
Hmm I personally use a $180 soldering station for production. Soldering irons are available from 15 CHF online, if this is an issue I can include one in the kit.
That would be nice. I think for me it would be all about learning, more than actually using the product. Most likely I would give it away to a non head-fi friend, being proud I made it.

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #389 of 596
The issue is that I may not have tools necessary to solder. Not difficult to get I grant you that, but for one time thing?
surely you know somebody with a soldering station.

I'm just thinking what makes sense for people. One cheap model will come, but there are multiple options of what is possible: 1 Driver super low price but crazy good tuning for what it is(150-200$), 4 Driver with sublime bass, even better tuning, 300 as kit. IMO 300 for a kit is a bit steep, not sure if people are willing to pay that. Drivers are expensive sadly.

A pre assembled 6 Driver for 500$ will come for sure, with TOTL HF extension.

sounds awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back