The Summer 2005 Bay Area Meet at the Radisson Hotel San Jose Airport!!
Aug 8, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #61 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
Why do you think that? The A-B switch is just wires.

Glad you like the DT990/M³ combo, that is my favorite, too.
rolleyes.gif

I should've have a/b'd that closely to see. we were a/b-ing the m3 and the gl with the k501 and hp3000 and after i put the switch in the bass energy seemed to dissappear and I had to push the bass boost full to even make out bass notes on 501.

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #62 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbagump
I should've have a/b'd that closely to see. we were a/b-ing the m3 and the gl with the k501 and hp3000 and after i put the switch in the bass energy seemed to dissappear and I had to push the bass boost full to even make out bass notes on 501.

i wish i would have checked out your 501's. i was so enthralled with my new toy, i couldnt think about much else.

so weve gotta have another meet soon! next saturday, anyone?
icon10.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #63 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetlag
Gee, why would I want to be there when I can stay home and supervise painters, sheetrockers and tuckpointers at my house. grrrrrrrrrrr.
mad.gif

If anyone gets a chance, please try out the Hornet with a set of UE-10 Pros. I'm curious how loud the volume is with the gain knob set to 0 or close to it.

You're welcome to join us this coming Saturday or Sunday in Irvine for the Socal meet. I believe the Hornet will be there.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #64 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
I don't know if your PS-1s made it upstairs where the balanced amps were congregated. I know they sounded great with Mikhail's tweaked MPX3, which is what they are plugged into in the picture. Best Grado experience I have ever had (not that I have tried all that many). Thanks for sending them.
orphsmile.gif

wonder if the recabling itself made a difference. (probably did.)

btw, I didn't exactly send the headphones... loaned a bunch of stuff (R10, Qualia 010 w/ blue pads, balanced PS1, HP2, Omega-II, HE90, Blue Hawaii) to NeilPeart and Scrith after the mini-meet at my place in Santa Rosa. the JVC was the only can I actually sent out, via EMS from Japan. glad everyone listened to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would have also let them bring my Audio-Technicas, but the ATH-L3000 was unavailable due to repairs, and we thought the others wouldn't be as useful. there's the ATH-W2002, but I didn't want to risk getting the wood damaged.
tongue.gif
too many other woodies of mine already present too....

hopefully at the next meet I can get at least the ATH-L3000 to be there. I'll try to be there too. was a slight overlap in my schedule and ended up being on vacation in Japan until the 9th (actually, leaving in a few hours) missing the meet by a few days.

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #65 of 96
confused.gif

I went and listened to tube amps for the first time (in addition to other things). One things that perplexed me, is when I plugged my etymotics into a Woo Audio tube amp. I don't know the model number, but it was a gray/silver one, and had several machined blocks rising out of the base.

First, I turned the volume knob all the way down. Then I plugged my ER-4S into it (with an inexpensive gold-plated 1/4 - 1/8 adapter). Then I went to slowly turn the knob up. I noticed that as soon as my fingers touched the knob, I heard a strange echo sound, as if the amp had picked up the sound of my fingers touching it and amplified it. So I gently tapped on the case with my fingernail, and heard the echo of my tapping, loud and clear. I've never seen/heard anything like it!

Can anyone tell me why that happens? Is it good or bad to hear something like that? Is this something particular to tube amps? I didn't hear it on the HeadRoom Millet hybrid amp, or some other tube amp I can't remember the name of.

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #67 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evoz
it happens with my amp at times too, with certain tubes, its really not much to worry about, unless you love tapping the knob
biggrin.gif

I see! Mystery solved... so this is a property of certain tubes?

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #68 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
I've heard these can be tough to fit, but I must not be wearing them properly. I've never got anything even resembling bass out of a Qualia.

A lack of bass seems to be the main indication that you are not getting a proper fit with the Qualia 010. One person at the meet complained to me about the lack of bass, so I asked him to come over and try again with some different positioning. Soon his eyes lit up and he proclaimed it to have excellent bass. To me, it has the cleanest, most detailed, bass I've heard, which, for me, is the one of the main shortcomings of its cousin the R-10.

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #69 of 96
Anyone try the Hornet with HD650 and Zu or Equinox cable, I'd really like to hear your impressions.

Aug 9, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #70 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by r0b
I see! Mystery solved... so this is a property of certain tubes?

yep, hi-gain tubes usually do that, I was told by Jack at Woo Audio. Apparently this is solved by adding "tube dampers" to the tubes. I think Ray adds the damper for you in his Raptor (that cool looking white rubber ring around the tube must be a damper). Woo Audio should do the same with the Woo 4 or they'll get many e-mails from worried tube noobs like us
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #71 of 96
I’d like to thank Sleestack for hosting one of the best Head-Fi meets I’ve ever attended.

He truly went out of his way to make the Head-Fi members feel at ease. From the spacious main meeting room, well equipped with plenty of outlets and tables, to the first class “Hi-End” room upstairs this meet was one of a kind. Even a free lunch was included; this allowed us to break for an excellent bite to eat in the company of other Head-Fi members without leaving the venue. Thanks again for making this meet one of the best ever!

Clarke, thank you for helping organize this event, your efforts are very much appreciated. It’s inspiring to see your enthusiasm for the meet and the headphone hobby that we all enjoy.

The atmosphere was laid-back and allowed people to listen and enjoy the wide variety of gear on display. It was good to see the usual vendors Tyll (I think that makes 7 times that I’ve seen you this summer, is that some kind of a record?), Ray (A possible tie for number of times seeing you at the many meets across the country) , and Todd. Todd needs to get out more -- you have to put on some airline miles and see us across the country more often. It was a pleasure to see you all again.

I had a chance to meet Morsel – You have an inquisitive mind, and know how to think through all aspects of an engineering problem. We had some in-depth discussions about electrostatic headphone/speaker theory. You brought up some really intriguing ways of looking at how an ESL can possibly be driven. I wish I had more time to continue the discussion.

Neil Pert and Scirth came prepared with all of the high-end electrostatic gear, R10’s and the Qualia 010’s. A big thanks to Ayt999 for the gear that he so graciously sent for the meet. We definitely took the opportunity to enjoy the goodies in the “Hi-End” room. That room was a high-end board room with the most comfortable chairs. This made for easy listening sessions with the best gear.

There was also a speaker setup in the same room. Sleestack brought his plethora of Onix players, and a small Onix speaker system. It’s a real bargain at $999 for the Tube amp and speakers. The Onix gear is some of nicest styled, beautiful pieces I’ve seen and for the price it’s hard to beat.

I enjoyed meeting all of the new members, and matching faces with the online persona of the seasoned members. Each meet brings new members, and growing enthusiasm for the hobby.

Thank you all for attending and making this one of the most memorable Head-Fi meets. I really felt just like a member attending for fun as part of the group, and not so much as a vendor.

This was my 9th meet this year, and I really have to get my notes, pictures, and experiences posted soon. It’s been extremely busy with business responsibilities and amplifier production, but I’ll have a chance to get the “summer of headphone fun” head-fi meets summary together soon.

The Head-Fi meets are becoming a constant and growing part of the hi-end headphone community. It’s amazing to witness and be a part of this quickly expanding hobby. Most of all, we have to thank Jude for making this all possibly and giving us a place to truly enjoy this hobby. Thank You!

Aug 9, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #72 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
You might want to look into having a DIY'er build you a small balanced Gilmore dynalo. Edwood has shown me dynalo boards that were about the size of a credit card, so I imagine that an amp using four of them, and a power supply could be smushed into a pretty compact package. I think the boards were made by head-fier subsonic.

Yep, they were made by Subsonic. Unfortunately, if you are trying to fit a PSU into the same chassis, it is no longer such a tiny amp. Not to mention the amount of heat coming from those little boards.

-Ed

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #73 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by JzzMaTzz
Anyone try the Hornet with HD650 and Zu or Equinox cable, I'd really like to hear your impressions.

TRIUMPHANT SCREENNAME RETURN!

i tried the hornet with the 650 with equinox. i can tell you it sounded only SLIGHTLY different than the SR-71 and i would have sold my portaphile and bought an sr-71 on the spot if there were sr-71s for sale or someone who wanted to buy one of my favorite amps, but alas, neither could be done and ill be buying an sr-71 when the AC version comes out. the ray samuels amps made me feel like i was floating in my own little world of headphone bliss. i would say that ray samuels is my new favorite amp builder/human being. he was pretty cool all around.

rj

Aug 9, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #74 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM
TRIUMPHANT SCREENNAME RETURN!

i tried the hornet with the 650 with equinox. i can tell you it sounded only SLIGHTLY different than the SR-71 and i would have sold my portaphile and bought an sr-71 on the spot if there were sr-71s for sale or someone who wanted to buy one of my favorite amps, but alas, neither could be done and ill be buying an sr-71 when the AC version comes out. the ray samuels amps made me feel like i was floating in my own little world of headphone bliss. i would say that ray samuels is my new favorite amp builder/human being. he was pretty cool all around.

rj

Thanks for your impressions, I wish I could've heard both those amps as I am leaning towards a HR-2, but an AC SR-71 does sound tempting. Yeah Ray is pretty cool I've spoken to him on a few times on the phone and he always made time to talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back