The Summer 2005 Bay Area Meet at the Radisson Hotel San Jose Airport!!
Aug 6, 2005 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

ayt999

Headphoneus Supremus
a bit past 11:30PM here, and I believe there's going to be a huge meet at the Radisson Hotel San Jose Airport starting in around two hours.
biggrin.gif

as you can see, I'm somewhat in the wrong location to attend this meet (though usually living only a few hours away from San Jose) so I plan on doing all I can to participate in this huge event, such as starting the meet impressions thread.
biggrin.gif
I hope everyone enjoys the gear I've loaned out and waiting for comments on those. I even went as far as sending an additional piece of gear via EMS recently to further improve upon the already impressive equipment selection.
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 96
Gee, why would I want to be there when I can stay home and supervise painters, sheetrockers and tuckpointers at my house. grrrrrrrrrrr.
mad.gif

If anyone gets a chance, please try out the Hornet with a set of UE-10 Pros. I'm curious how loud the volume is with the gain knob set to 0 or close to it.

Aug 6, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 96
Hmm since everyone always wants photos, here's two quickies:

sjmeet1.jpg

I like the JVCs. I thought they responded really well to the AE-1 versus just straight out of the headphone jack of my iPod. Leeav mentioned them having a similarity to audio-technica's approach, and I do see where that's coming from. The JVCs on brief listen struck me as having a more straightforward sound - but still focused on being very melodic and on the harmony of music. Pretty nice bass, esp with the AE-1.

sjmeet2.jpg

Hornet, SR-71 and AE-1. Some surprising thoughts on the AE-1 and Hornet at this meet. Meet impressions are a bit unfair, but I will say that my SR-71/Sensaphonics rig is in no danger of being changed.

Alex, you'd be pleased - I listened to some Utada Hikaru on your HE90. It was with a Stax amp (003 I think) with my iPod as source!

Brief "meet" impressions on the HE90 - they certainly sound nice, but despite the hype, they're still just headphones. I did listen to them with the Blue Hawaii and Benchmark DAC1 feeding them, and liked it enough. I'm looking forward to my pair, but my Qualia, PS-1 and K 1000 aren't going for sale any time soon. It was great listening to Scrith's Qualia. I've been apart from mine for like 4 months now, and I definitely am looking forward to being reunited.

Anyway, I'm headed back, so ttyal...

-Jason

Aug 6, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 96
you must give full impressions of the hornet versus the AE-1! I think this is the first meet where they've gone head to head (and interesting that you don't feel like kicking the SR71 to the curb!)

btw the HE90 into a KGSS was pleasant but didn't blow me away. i even liked the HE60 more from that rig lol. the same pair of HE90s (same source too) into the daddy orpheus tube amp (HEV90) was a revelation. so ymmv in this case!

Aug 7, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you must give full impressions of the hornet versus the AE-1! I think this is the first meet where they've gone head to head (and interesting that you don't feel like kicking the SR71 to the curb!)

btw the HE90 into a KGSS was pleasant but didn't blow me away. i even liked the HE60 more from that rig lol. the same pair of HE90s (same source too) into the daddy orpheus tube amp (HEV90) was a revelation. so ymmv in this case!

Yah I don't think the he90/ kgss or bh match to well. I mean they work but it's not like with the staxs. The he90/hev90 blew me always also, just crazy!

Aug 7, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 96
This was my first Head-fi meet, it was a lot of fun.
I got a chance to talk to Ray and we discussed the hornet vs. SR-71.
He asked him if he thought they would be competing with each other in the same space. He said that the hornet was more suitable for rock, r&b, hip-hop
while the SR-71 would be more suited for jazz, acoustic, classical. He didn't
feel that they would be competing with each other.
I was very impressed with how the hornet sounded (for such a little amp). I certainly prefered it to the AE-1 sound.
I for one can't wait for those 2 months until the hornet will be available.
BTW, the SR-71 was no slouch either.
My rankings would be SR-71 > hornet > AE-1.
The single power amps were amazing. The Meridian ==> Maestro ==> 650 were certainly awesome.
Overall it was a great time.

Aug 7, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 96
admose said <<My rankings would be SR-71 > hornet > AE-1.>>

How about putting some of the other portables in the mix there such as the MicroAmp with Desktop module?

It would seem that everyone out here in the real world is awaiting the left coast view of things heard.....
smily_headphones1.gif
etysmile.gif
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 96
Quote:

How about putting some of the other portables in the mix there such as the MicroAmp with Desktop module?

I'm sorry i didn't get a chance to listen to the MicoAmp. However, I forgot
to include the Super-macro portable amp, which i really didn't care for.
IMHO, (and please don't flame me for my opinion), it made the Meridian sound like I was listening to mp3s, it sounded compressed and veiled.

It really was like being a kid in a candy store
icon10.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 96
Yes, a candy store most of us would have loved to have been at...no flames on my watch...Thanks for your early opinions.

All you guys are lucky to have had this opportunity.

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 96
Since there is so much understandable interest in this, I'll give my impressions, though I feel they will be much less well-informed than some of those which are sure to follow.

At the meet I listened to the SR-71, Hornet, AE-1 and Coda with desktop module, with the specific goal of deciding which if any was worthwhile as an upgrade over my current portable rig.

My current main portable amp is an 8620 Pimeta, and I also have a Porta Corda II and some early Xin amps. Between the Pimeta and the PCII, I prefer the Pimeta; there's no particular thing I hear with the Pimeta that I don't hear just as well with the PCII, but over the course of a listening session, the Pimeta pleases me just a bit more.

My desktop amp is an OPA627 Pimeta, and it has a wonderful, rich, full, and fully detailed sound that I just love. Basically my goal today was to find a portable amp that matched or exceeded this desktop amp.

All of my listening impressions were on ER-4S's, which serve as my personal reference sound and which are the targets for any portable amp I buy. My main test track was Patricia Barber's Gotcha!, with some other jazz and some Marc Cohn bluesy rock as the remainder of my test repertoire.

Of those I heard today, the SR-71 simply had it: the fullness, the detail, everything. My only goosebump moments (literally, I had them) were with the SR-71. And I kept needing to come back to it to hear more.

After that, I liked the Coda/desktop. It was awfully good, and I liked the crossfeed a lot. But its sound, as good as it was, didn't quite sound "right" to me in some way I couldn't put my finger on in my few minutes of listening. It sounds good enough, though, that if I went ahead and bought it I probably would grow accustomed to its sound and over time cease to find it odd, though that of course is speculation only.

The AE-1 sounded very good, and I would say it was a step up from my Pimeta, but for me it was not a big enough step to to warrant upgrading. This was jjcha's amp (thanks for the listen!), and I had it only a minute or two, and it is of course a brand-new amp so there is every possibility that I'm not being fair to it; but at any rate that is what I heard.

The Hornet simply was not for me. I felt it had emphases here and there in the spectrum that didn't accord with the way I expected the music to sound. The sound was in no way faulty, just emphasized differently than I liked. From what Ray -- who was very generous with his time and unfailingly gracious to me throughout -- had to say, I think this amp was simply voiced with a different style of music in mind than what I listen to.

I also had a chance to hear Spektrograf's SuperMacro V3 with OPA627/stacked buffers, and I found it very, very much on par with my 8620 Pimeta. This seems an odd result given the difference in op-amps, but I believe Spektrograf heard the same thing.

Thanks very much to everyone for a great meet! I wish I'd been able to stay longer.

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 96
Ah, shrimp.

I'll edit out the uninteresting parts of this next bit so as not to bore you guys:

Blah blah last night blah blah blah blah my parents blah you can't go blah blah blah. Blah won't be able to tell the difference anyway blah blah blah blah blah just bought new headphones blah blah blah blah.

Sigh. Anyways. It sounds like you guys had a good time, and I will certainly see you next time.

And Garrett, sorry I was unable to bring the MDR7506s. Did anyone else have a pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back