The Stigma of Head fi
Apr 5, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #16 of 60
i have no friends who share the passion of audio and everyone around me thinks im insane and could not justify spending that much money on headphones in a million years (this is like only 900AU for my first rig).
plus it just reassures people that im a nerd
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #17 of 60
my friend spend 50 bucks of pvc and 10 bucks on gas grill starters so he could make a potato cannon, and this is the on that made fun of me for spending a hundred plus bucks on headphones. I really do love being a nerd though.

Apr 5, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
.... "It's not like you can hear the differencee?".

Yes, it’s all placebo effect. Didn’t you know that?
Everything more expensive than a Ipod and Ibuds is pure placebo.
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
my friend spend 50 bucks of pvc and 10 bucks on gas grill starters so he could make a potato cannon, and this is the on that made fun of me for spending a hundred plus bucks on headphones. I really do love being a nerd though.

Must be a nice potato cannon, though.
wink.gif
We used to use beer cans and lighter fluid.
eek.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
My wife refers to Head-Fi as Head-Case.
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

... its probably true
rolleyes.gif

I have two big passions really, building computers and audio. Its a lot easier to get my friends to jump on the computer upgrade bandwagon, which is probably why I upgrade my computer equipment a lot more frequenty. I just sell off my stuff to friends that need to upgrade. I always give them a good deal, and in return I get to buy new stuff. Im building a new nforce 4 system as soon as the venice cores become available. With this purchase, I will have actually gone through 4 motherboards, 4 processors, and 4 videocards all within roughly a 13 month period. (Technically I still have one system I'm building an HTPC/Server out of.)

Its weird because none of my friends give me any crap about how often I upgrade my computer(s). But as soon as I tell them I spent X amount of dollars on new headphones, amp, etc. they think I'm crazy. My roommate understands my passion for headphones, but he won't get within 10 feet of them. He doesn't want to catch what I've got. I already have him buying all my "old" computer equipment this month.
very_evil_smiley.gif

If I had a couple friends that were into headphones, I would have probably gone through CD3k's, 650's, and a couple amps by now, and I still wouldn't be happy with my setup. I know I could always sell my stuff on the F/S forum, but there's something about getting my friends into my hobbies that I find more enjoyable. Its probably for the best though, out of all the stuff I've auditioned within my price range, I haven't really found a headphone that is perfect for everything that I listen to. The SA5000 is probably the closest, but I'm beginning to accept the fact that for the wide variety of music I listen to, I may need to just invest in multiple setups. Head-case indeed
rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
Im building a new nforce 4 system as soon as the venice cores become available.

I hope you've read this.

BTW: I'm still satisfied with my HD590s and have not yet felt the urge to upgrade!
smily_headphones1.gif
Prolly it's my limited funds and multiple hobbies that keep me from spending too much one one thing...
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #23 of 60
I think everyone is into something different, and if they really enjoy it they spend a lot of money (realitive) and time on that "thing". For example, my friend will spend a fortune on upgrades for his car. Myself I couldn't care less just as long as it goes from a to b and it's comfortable. I think the point is that no one really understands unless they them self are into it too.

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #25 of 60
Nice headphone gear seems to me to be a good investment. I know lots of computer guys (like many head-fiers, I must admit to being somewhat of a computer geek) who spend so much money just on their computers, to do better in some synthetic benchmark. I have not dropped a dime on my computer since I joined here. Well, I suppose I did spend $40 at newegg for computer parts a few months back, but I traded them for audio gear. Audio gear is nice. Not only does it sound good, but it makes you feel good. I'm not even listening to my new CDP, but I can glance over at it and feel good because I like it. Not like some computer part where you can't see it and don't notice it.

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #26 of 60
No stigma attaches to Head-Fi in my experience. When asked about my headphone gear, I explain about the problem my big speakers create for my townhouse neighbors. What I get is sympathy that I'm "reduced" to listenng through a makeshift alternative. Of course, I don't elaborate on either the cost or the extent of my involvement with said alternative.
rolleyes.gif

BW

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #27 of 60
I might add that Head-Fi has been responsible for most of my computer-related expenses over the last year, what with sound cards, cables, secondary hard drives, outboard storage drives and such.

Sorry about my wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #28 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
I hope you've read this.

BTW: I'm still satisfied with my HD590s and have not yet felt the urge to upgrade!
smily_headphones1.gif
Prolly it's my limited funds and multiple hobbies that keep me from spending too much one one thing...
biggrin.gif

That article was a little hard to follow. What I gather is that the nforce 4 chipset has a latency issue, especially when running high performance pci-e video cards? But this was suppose to be fixed on the A03 revision which was suppose to start shipping in November? Am I reading this right?

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #29 of 60
head-fi = devil
jude = right hand of the devil
mods = loyal minions
us = foolish sinners

No, seriously, no one really cares for my head-fi-itis. It's safer than both drugs and alchohol. Is this a bad place? Possibly. Course it does help the economy (I think) since we "encourage" people to spend assloads of money on things they probably don't need.

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #30 of 60
I have come to an understanding with my wife. I get an annual budget, which I track with excel, and as long as I stay reasonably close, I am ok.
As long as I don't spend too much time building things, she doesn't give me too much trouble this "addiction".

Of course, my mother in law lives with us, so that's my excuse for having to listen to headphones. I also have most of my equipment in the garage, where I can make a mess and not get into trouble over it.

To you guys who are still single, buy NOW. It is much harder to buy toys after you are married, especially after a couple of kids. Buy stuff now, that will retain it's value, so you can sell it later for new toys, and no out of pocket money will be required.

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back