The Stax Thread III
Oct 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #661 of 25,560
I see. Well, thanks for the very interesting information! In my case, there is no channel imbalance at all, just squealing (always) in the L phone and sometimes (very rarely) in the R one as well. It has a tendency to subside while using the headphones, so it usually disappears completely after 20-30 minutes of use. I've already changed the drivers twice because of this (!!), maybe the metal mesh is puncturing the dust filter, I don't know?!?

Is it difficult to remove the dust filter and put it back afterwards? Any step by step indications to be found? (best if with pictures - yes, I know I'm asking too much!
smily_headphones1.gif
) And isn't dangerous for the driver because of the dust? I seem to recall that they are assembled in very strict dust free environments, but maybe I'm making a confusion here...

P.S. I'm talking about a SR-303 here.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #662 of 25,560
The Lambdas can be fragile and the drivers can split open if dropped.  There is just glue holding them together and that can crack open. 

Quote:
I see. I read something on a thread about having to regularly tighten the black screws on the aluminum disc to prevent the drivers from slipping out from the housing -- is that really the case?

Deterioration sounds pretty worrisome though. Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this one.

The plastic casing inside the aluminum skin holds the drivers in place so it has to be tight.  Don't over do it though as this is the same brittle plastic as the rest of the frame and it can easily strip. 

Also there are no more spare earpads for the SR-Omega.  Not even the crappy black ones that never fit properly. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #664 of 25,560
Is there a Stax that is especially noted for their performance with rock? The HE60 that I just received is quickly becoming the most addictive sound I have heard, right alongside my SR007. They're a little too refined and imo a little unsuited to the messiness of most indie rock recordings. I wouldn't mind selling off my AD2000, T1 and LCD 2 if there was a Stax that killed it with rock and pop the way the SR007 does for jazz and the HE60 for anything vocal acoustic (seems to be their forte so far). I realize that this question just begs for dissent and subjective answers, but there are very few of us that wouldn't agree that the RS1/AD2000 are phenomenal with most varieties of rock. Is there something equally beloved in the electrostatic world?

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #665 of 25,560
I personally love my SR-207 for rock music... I feel that they have that similar bit of a peak in the 2~3k region as the Grados do which IMO makes rock music come alive while keeping the 7-10k treble under control unlike the Grados which can get too bothersome in that region (but some may still enjoy that peak).  Not sure if others would share my sentiments there though.

Not a Stax but felt that ESP950 did rock well when I had it too.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #666 of 25,560
Great, thanks for that. I personally never took to Grados. The RS1 and RS1i I owned were sensational on certain tracks, but for the few most part those tracks were few and far between. The closed in soundstage (even with the likes of a Zana Deux and BA) and the uncontrollable splash in the presence region just made for a subpar experience comparatively. I really feel the AD2000 are Grados done right (technically abysmal, but unapologetically fun). Now if only there was something like the HE60, which manages to be forward and airy all at once. Unlike the AD2000 they're smooth as butter.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #667 of 25,560
I actually love the SR-007 for rock.  Makes poor recordings less fatiguing and has a nice midbass.  You might like the SR-5 if you want something more aggressive sounding and it's pretty cheap.  I think the RS1 is terrible and the AD2k is too grainy for my tastes though, so take that into account.
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #668 of 25,560
Alright, so I come to you all with some questions. 

Situation:  I've been looking at trying a Stax setup

Problem:  Was looking at getting an 007 mk2 but everything I read indicates the mk1 is superior (more neutral etc, cleaner bass, no mid coloration).  I'm not crazy about dropping that kind of money on a 6+ year old used MK1, but it is what it is I suppose.  Next problem being, everything I've read seams to indicate the current Stax amps that can drive that 007 aren't that great.  The 727 being the best of the bunch, but would require some modification to add back in the feedback.

Question 1: mk1 vs mk2.  I could pick on a mk2 new for about the same price as a used mk1.  Are there build concerns with the mk1; was it fragile, can't source replacement parts if it breaks?  If the signature is close I'm leaning toward just the new mk2.

Question 2: Of the current Stax amp lineup is the 727 preferred?  Is the modification required something a relatively inexperienced user could do?  if not who's doing them and for how much?

Also, just flame or ignore me if this is the kind of question that gets posted too much.  Was trying to sort this all out before I drop some coin.

Thanks.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #670 of 25,560
  I actually love the SR-007 for rock.  Makes poor recordings less fatiguing and has a nice midbass.  You might like the SR-5 if you want something more aggressive sounding and it's pretty cheap.  I think the RS1 is terrible and the AD2k is too grainy for my tastes though, so take that into account.
tongue.gif

+1. I think SR007 is excellent for rock and metal.

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #671 of 25,560
  Question 1: mk1 vs mk2.  I could pick on a mk2 new for about the same price as a used mk1.  Are there build concerns with the mk1; was it fragile, can't source replacement parts if it breaks?  If the signature is close I'm leaning toward just the new mk2.

No real build concerns. Replacement parts will be mk2 parts. The only weak point of the mk1 is said to be the strain relief where the cable enters the headphones, but under normal circumstances this shouldn't be a problem.

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #672 of 25,560

Thanks.

I personally would never choose the MK2s if given a choice and I do not think they are close to the MK1s. The MK2s remind me of Audeze and not in a good way. They sound darker and less transparent.  I would rate the MK2s as competing with the LCD-2s and I rate the MK1s above the LCD-3s.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #673 of 25,560

No real build concerns. Replacement parts will be mk2 parts. The only weak point of the mk1 is said to be the strain relief where the cable enters the headphones, but under normal circumstances this shouldn't be a problem.

This particular weak point has been the only issue (twice) in my 7+ years of 007 mk1 ownership. 
Here's a really good way of reproducing this failure: With headphones on, crouch down to change a CD etc, then stand up straight, forgetting that your foot is on the cable. If you don't do that sort of thing, then you'll be fine.

To recover from this failure, you'll need a Stax support professional to solder in a new cable, at a cost of around £100, most of which is for the new cable. You could try fixing it yourself, but unless your name is spritzer, it's not a trivial task, and the high voltages do not allow much room for error.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #674 of 25,560
As of late, I have heard two wonderful pairs of SR-007. One was a 72xxx (which has been my best pair). Two days ago, a friend of mine has purchased a very old, almost new pair, s/n 70110, with the first version box, in black carbon fiber. Honestly, I couldn't say if one sounded better than the other. To me they were both equally great.

I have owned / heard other SR-007 Mk1 in the past (71xxx, sz1xxx, and so on), and I must say 3 out of 6 sounded great, up to this day, while others were noticeably darker, everything else factored in.

Is it possible that the 70xxx and the best 72xxx I have had were actually made equally high well?
Were there different production facilities, back then?

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #675 of 25,560
STILL ENJOYING MY STAX HEAPHONE AND AMP COLLECTION.  IT'S BEEN A WHILE.  Just checking in to say hi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back