The Stax Thread III
Oct 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #453 of 25,558
Is there actually a known reason why Stax never upgrades their products appearance? Also why are the headphones produced of such cheap plastic?

I mean 90% people actually considering buying those products are probably put off by their looks. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #455 of 25,558
^which will attract some buyers as well

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #458 of 25,558
How so? I would swear they'd had cracked to pieces if I had dropped mine. I babyhandled them because they looked so fragile. Compared to "tanks" like DT770 etc, typical dynamic cans for example.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #459 of 25,558
  How so? I would swear they'd had cracked to pieces if I had dropped mine. I babyhandled them because they looked so fragile. Compared to "tanks" like DT770 etc, typical dynamic cans for example.

That is no different from all other headphones. While the design is more modern HD800 is know to have paint cracking issues, while HD600, HD650 and HD 580 all have plastic headband which are know to crack and peel.
To a certain extend the old saying "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" apply. If the design work, why bother to totally renew it. Also are there real evidence that the headband is fragile? I don't think I see many broken headbands around.
Lastly it is something that use high voltage unlike most other headphones, so plastic insulation is a good thing unless you want accidential shorts all over the place.

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #460 of 25,558

Obviously the Lambdas were built for everyday listening use, and not dropping them around. I would think the same applies to any electrostat as they are fragile by nature. However, the many Lambdas that are around 20-30 years old are a testament to their longevity (not talking about the multitude of SR-2/3/5 still in existence).

That is no different from all other headphones. While the design is more modern HD800 is know to have paint cracking issues, while HD600, HD650 and HD 580 all have plastic headband which are know to crack and peel.
To a certain extend the old saying "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" apply. If the design work, why bother to totally renew it. Also are there real evidence that the headband is fragile? I don't think I see many broken headbands around.
Lastly it is something that use high voltage unlike most other headphones, so plastic insulation is a good thing unless you want accidential shorts all over the place.

Great points. I still cannot think of a reason why Sennheiser chose that paint for the HD800. I wonder if the HD700 has that issue fixed?

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #461 of 25,558
Our pair of LNB's from the 'late '80s have been stepped on, sat on, dropped (not by me, mind you, x-wives suck), and then crammed into a box for ten years (while I was underwater).  They are still kicking and working fine, if a little slow to charge.  So, fragile, ah, NO, I don't think so...YMMV, etc.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #462 of 25,558
I dont know if my NB lambdas are older than me but they still work fine and probably still have a lot of life left in them.

I also dont mind the look of the lambdas (and even if I did it's not sitting in front of a mirror looking at myself while I'm listening to music!). They're comfortable and they sound great, pretty much the only things I care about.

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #465 of 25,558
  The Lambdas/other Stax are actually the most durable headphones around.

THey do squeak and crackle around though . Even brand new out of the box. The 507 doesn't do this thankfully, or not noticeably as much. 

It infuriated me when listening to the 404LE or the Labnda pro though. Turn your head from one monitor to the other and you'd hear the frame squeak. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back