The Stax Thread III
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #25,171 of 25,537
interesting thank you, is the Pontus 2 really a step from the AresII ? i heard the Ares is a bang for the buck for R2R Dac.

for the amp i'm really gonna wait to get a BHSE built for christmas ( or maybe a T2 if i have some spare )
Sorry for throwing another DAC into the mix but you should consider the Holo Audio Cyan 2. It's $1200, so it's cheaper than a yggy or Pontus 2 and it's basically a trimmed down Holo Spring/May. Amazing value. 21 bits of dynamic range, which is something very few R2R DACs can say, it measures within a couple % of the $5k May.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #25,172 of 25,537
Sorry for throwing another DAC into the mix but you should consider the Holo Audio Cyan 2. It's $1200, so it's cheaper than a yggy or Pontus 2 and it's basically a trimmed down Holo Spring/May. Amazing value. 21 bits of dynamic range, which is something very few R2R DACs can say, it measures within a couple % of the $5k May.
don't be sorry :) every addition is good information, i had this one on my list too with the cord qutest, need to read some review on them. i guess any of theses will be a great upgrade from my old audio gd anyway.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #25,174 of 25,537
Anyone have tips for replacing the older lambda pad double-sided adhesive? I am looking to replace only the adhesive if possible, a previous owner used what looks like silicone glue.

I really like Weldwood Contact Cement. It has a generous working time and you can remove it from the housing, if you wanted to put new pads on in the future. You do need some pressure while it sets and it takes a while to set-up (20 - 60 minutes). I have had great luck with it, though I have not used it for headphones. It would be the glue I would personally use for this as it would give a good bond to both surfaces, while not being impossible to remove, like other glues. It definitely won't become sticky or peel, like the new glue Stax used on my sr-507 and sr-sc21.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #25,175 of 25,537
What is better BHSE or the Carbon CC?

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #25,177 of 25,537
Thats from my point of view a matter of taste.

What is better BHSE or the Carbon CC?
Yes, IMO, it is a matter of taste/mood/opinion (for sound quality and what you are looking for at any given listening session) and a matter of who built it (WRT case, components chosen, and quality of construction, etc.).

In my set-up they would serve different purposes. Personally, I liked the BHSE for SR-009 and Voce over the Carbon CC, but the Carbon CC was better for the SR-007 MKII. At least in my critical listening "mood" that's what I determined. I ultimately went with the BHSE (from HeadAmp) and Cavalli LL2SS (one of the last units).

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #25,178 of 25,537
Does anyone (@kevin gilmore ) know the Vppss (peak to peak, stator to stator) voltage swing measurement for roughly all of the major DIY mafia amps?

I've seen reports that BHSE is 1500vppss and Kgsshv is like 1440~.
Mjolnir Octave is listed as 1150vppss
Where do the others land? Most importantly KGST , KGGG, Carbon, Megatron and DIY T2?
That's not really the point; point is according to KG if a STAX AMP has enough Ampage to drive a capacitive load (such as an E-Stat) at 20khz.

((quote KG))

for dynamic amplifiers the same voltage swing at 1khz and 20khz is easy.

for electrostatic amplifiers a whole bunch harder.

600v power supplies require 18ma.
the koss esp950 is push pull and still can't come anywhere near close to this.
my cfaelectrostat will do this with enough heatsink.

500 v power supplies require 15ma of output current at 20khz into 120pf
A T2 can do this. A megatron can do this

450 v power supplies require 14ma of output current.
a carbon can easily do 18 to 20 ma
a kgsshv is limited to a max of about 9ma

400v power supplies require 12ma of output current
a BH will easily do this and more

350v power supplies requires 10.6ma of output current
Most stax amps (t1,717,727,007t...) are 350v power supplies and can only supply about 7ma

300v power supplies require 9ma of output current
some stax amps including the d50 are limited to about 0.6ma

200v power supplies (kse1500/kse1200) capacitive load 80pf (actual measured, no spec)
4ma needed, amplifier limited to +/-1ma and the thd is over 1% at 200vppss

175v power supplies D10 requires 5.25ma of output current
amplifier is limited to 6ma

((unquote KG))

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #25,179 of 25,537
Mjolnir Octave is listed as 1150vppss

Late reply but according to Mjolnir the Octave is about half the power of the Stax 717. That is what he told me when I emailed him anyway.

Mar 12, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #25,181 of 25,537
Late reply but according to Mjolnir the Octave is about half the power of the Stax 717. That is what he told me when I emailed him anyway.

There must have been a miscommunication. His website says that the Octave V4 is more powerful than the SRM-400S (400Vrms) and the SRM-500T (300Vrms). The 717 is 450Vrms. So half of the 717 would make it roughly the same as the D-10 (200Vrms).

I recently purchased an Octave V4 for my home office. I'm using it with the DCA Corina, feeding it from a Benchmark DAC. I have not needed to turn up the Octave beyond 10 o'clock. It sounds very good. I think it may well be the best "inexpensive" electrostatic amp currently available. Best inexpensive one that I've heard, anyway.

Edit: Note that my numbers are the STAX max output voltage published on their website. They differ a bit from what is posted above by KDS315. I'm not sure why, but it does not change my point.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #25,184 of 25,537
There must have been a miscommunication.

I just dug through my email and found what he said. Copy+Paste:

The Octave V4 has roughly half the power of the 717 in stock form, it is roughly a third of the size so that is not bad at all. It does some things better than the 717 but it will struggle a bit with the 007’s. I wanted to make it as small as possible so that’s the sacrifice. As a secondary amp it would be just fine though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back