The Stax Thread III
Feb 17, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #25,141 of 25,496
@tjlindle The Nova Classic has been my unicorn. I’ve seen the Nova Signature more than the Classic.

Sigma mk2’s are up there as well.
Have you heard both? I enjoy my Nova Signature a lot and I'm curious how the Classic compares/contrasts.

Does anyone here have impressions of the 4070 and can compare it specifically to the 007 and 009?

I have noticed the Sig and especially the Nova Signature are rapidly becoming two of the hardest Lambda models to find. I will probably pick up the next good condition LNS I see just for that reason.

The Nova Classic are about equivalent to the Nova Sigs but sometimes I feel like the Classics are actually harder to find for whatever reason...lol.

Agreed, in all my headphone listening, that dichotomy remains undefeated...still holding out hope that maybe the original Omega is the unicorn that will manage it...
I think the new multi ribbon drivers from RAAL have a shot at pulling it off. We have multiple different drivers in speakers and IEMs, it's only natural we move that way in over the ear headphones. Opens up the tuning options to have less tradeoffs since each driver is built optimally to its range.

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #25,142 of 25,496
Have you heard both? I enjoy my Nova Signature a lot and I'm curious how the Classic compares/contrasts.

No, I haven’t heard the Classic.

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #25,143 of 25,496
I had some time yesterday to compare a SR-Lambda NB (1979) to my Lambda Nova Signature (LNS) - both were connected to a T1 amplifier with CCS modifications and using the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC.

The SR-Lambda NB delivered superior clarity, detail, dynamics, and energy. However, the LNS had better tonal balance, extended low frequencies, and lacked the occasionally strident highs of the SR-Lambda NB.

For certain music, like classical works with abundant strings, the SR-Lambda NB may be the best Stax headphone ever (surpassing even the sr-omega, sr-007, SR-009, SR-X9000, etc.). But on a lot of modern recordings its high frequencies can be unrelentingly sharp.

In summary, the LNS is likely the most evenly balanced Lambda headphone, and the best value Stax model for audiophiles on a budget. Yet the SR-Lambda NB is uniquely capable of outstanding performance with the right musical genre and can be a great complementary headphone in a large collection.

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #25,144 of 25,496
I had some time yesterday to compare a SR-Lambda NB (1979) to my Lambda Nova Signature (LNS) - both were connected to a T1 amplifier with CCS modifications and using the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC.

The SR-Lambda NB delivered superior clarity, detail, dynamics, and energy. However, the LNS had better tonal balance, extended low frequencies, and lacked the occasionally strident highs of the SR-Lambda NB.

For certain music, like classical works with abundant strings, the SR-Lambda NB may be the best Stax headphone ever (surpassing even the sr-omega, sr-007, SR-009, SR-X9000, etc.). But on a lot of modern recordings its high frequencies can be unrelentingly sharp.

In summary, the LNS is likely the most evenly balanced Lambda headphone, and the best value Stax model for audiophiles on a budget. Yet the SR-Lambda NB is uniquely capable of outstanding performance with the right musical genre and can be a great complementary headphone in a large collection.
Agree. At their price points, they cannot be beat. The SR Lambda NB tends to command a lower price on Yahoo JP one suspects because not as many folks would have an energizer with a normal bias output. But it is stellar.

That is why for both NB and LNS I have a couple of pairs each. For redundancy and at that price point, it causes no real pain. :)

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #25,146 of 25,496
I always enjoyed the sig the most. NB Lambda just as good though!
I have owned a Lambda nb since they first came out and have had them since then. At meets I brought a T1 amp which handles both Low and high bias. Mine beat up on any Pro Lambda at the show and is still in my collection. The current L700 is to my thought the best Lambda. I tried the much talked about
SR/404LE and couldn’t wait to take them off. So very bright it would need to get off my head in minutes. As I hear it.

Attachments

• IMG_6685.jpeg
    IMG_6685.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #25,147 of 25,496
The Lambda Pro isn’t the greatest of Lambdas in my opinion. It’s good that they created the ED-1 Monitor to save it. The ED-1 brings it closer to the level of enjoyment I get out of the Lambda Signature which is another Lambda sleeper.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #25,148 of 25,496
IMG_2539.jpeg

SOCAS Stax 3DP parts:
- pad adapters for common sized oval pads
- pad adapters are vented but I can seal manually with tape if want
- XL headband forks to increase cup rotation for better fit (L500)
IMG_2533.jpeg

^ bonus gummies, nice
EARS, SRD-7mk2:
L500 hybrid oval pads VS stock.jpg
EARS, SRD-7mk2:
L500 socas hybrid oval pads VS  socas vents sealed.jpg
Only pads I tried so far are hybrids (semi-breathable) that look to be from Brainwavz. Sounds very smooth (vents sealed), perhaps too smooth especially if wanting that particular Lambda sound. Might be able to increase bass extension with solid pads. Update later after padrolling to find preferred pads with comparisons against SR202.

Unfortunately one of L500's headband fork screw is stripped so have to figure that out before can install new fork.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #25,149 of 25,496
Has anyone had any experience replacing the elastic in the headband of the 007Mk1s? I have a pair I love but they're starting to sag a little.

I was basically wondering if I can do a DIY mod and just source a similarly sized piece of elastic and replace this way? However I realise the elastic might be clamped in such a way that it isn't easily replaced (e.g. moulded into the plastic)?

Anyone ever given it a go? I can see images/videos of people replacing the earpads but not the elastic.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #25,150 of 25,496
Has anyone had any experience replacing the elastic in the headband of the 007Mk1s? I have a pair I love but they're starting to sag a little.

I was basically wondering if I can do a DIY mod and just source a similarly sized piece of elastic and replace this way? However I realise the elastic might be clamped in such a way that it isn't easily replaced (e.g. moulded into the plastic)?

Anyone ever given it a go? I can see images/videos of people replacing the earpads but not the elastic.

All you need to do is unscrew one side, trim the elastic 1/2in or so, re-glue it and then screw it back.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #25,152 of 25,496
Oh man I can't believe I didn't think of trimming the current elastic, thank you!

Is it attached with glue then rather than a clamp? Will any old glue do the trick?
It has a piece that is securing it, but it is lightly glued in (won't take much effort to disconnect it). So you'll want to just put 1 or 2 drops of super glue to make sure it stays in place. In the USA we have a product called gorilla glue which is what I've used.

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #25,153 of 25,496
I realized I didnt install the SOCAS pad adapters fully by not using the accompanying screws so it caused air leaks resulting in lost bass extension. Here is pad adapter installed with screws that fit original screw posts instead of just being friction fit like I did earlier (pad adapter vents sealed).:

EARS, SRD-7mk2:
L500 socas hybrid REDO.jpg
EARS, SRD-7mk2:
L500 socas hybrid REDO vs HD650.jpg
EARS, SRD-7mk2:
L500 SOCAS hybrid VS L500 stock.jpg
First impressions are similar to that of yesterday but now with more bass.

edit: fyi, I used a pad adapter before with Stax Spirit / Classic Pro and had similar effect but I think L500 came out best for my preferences due to L-series specific tuning (venting). Perhaps the vented SOCAS pad adapters would make my SR202 more like L500…

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #25,154 of 25,496
Spritzer has a Lundahl-equipped SRD-7 for sale on his site. Nearly twice the price of his rehoused Stax units, but for those who want a Lundahl transformer box and don't want to build their own, it's available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back