The Stax Thread III
Apr 9, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #22,066 of 25,522
You know I can't help myself, just brought home a new pair of X9000's and have a T8000 on the way, currently using the SRM-700T and Terminator II DAC playing Qobuz hi res material through Roon, all upsampled to DSD512.
First impressions - more neutral, insane macro detail (the 007 is already amazing in that regard) and the obvious midbass thickness of the 007mk2 is absent with the X9000. Acoustic instruments sound extremely lifelike on the X9000 but what surprised me the most is that the X9000 seem to have better subbass than the 007mk2, probably due to a larger diaphragm.

While the X9000 is superior, the 007mk2 still offers a bit more pleasant, laidback sound to sit back and relax. I just wish Stax would release a MK3 version with pivoting earcups like the 009 series.

Anyone knows if it's possible to plug/unplug the HP on the second port when the amp is running and there is already a HP connected to the first output? I wonder if there is any sound difference with 2 HP's connected...since it's voltage driven, I don't expect it.
Do you think the X9000 delivers enough enjoyment with Metal music especially in the bass department? I had SR007 MK2 bass port mod which was good for Metal but technically not on par with 009/s.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #22,067 of 25,522
Congrsts! But I wouldn’t waste my $$$ on a T8000, there are much better amps!!

Two STAX headphones are no issue if you have a good amp! No issues to plug/unplug while on. Just short circuit the headphone connector with your thumb after unplugging. Discharges the stators!
Is it ok to leave the headphone plugged into the amp in between uses? Or is it best to unplug and discharge after every use?

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #22,068 of 25,522
Congrsts! But I wouldn’t waste my $$$ on a T8000, there are much better amps!!

Two STAX headphones are no issue if you have a good amp! No issues to plug/unplug while on. Just short circuit the headphone connector with your thumb after unplugging. Discharges the stators!
Non Stax amps are too much of a gamble here. I asked and some aren't even CE certified so the dealer won't/can't stock them.

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #22,069 of 25,522
Non Stax amps are too much of a gamble here. I asked and some aren't even CE certified so the dealer won't/can't stock them.
Rauenbühler Amps (high-amp.de) are CE certified! I have several and am very happy with them…

Pretty convinced the SIRIUS V9 (transistor) or Alpha Centauri V9 (hybride) would serve you well!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #22,070 of 25,522
Do you think the X9000 delivers enough enjoyment with Metal music especially in the bass department? I had SR007 MK2 bass port mod which was good for Metal but technically not on par with 009/s.
Isn’t it a bit too one-dimensional to measure but everything on its performance on plus 100dB “metal” music alone Thomas? I heard rumors that there might be other music genres out there … just saying 😆

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #22,071 of 25,522
Isn’t it a bit too one-dimensional to measure but everything on its performance on plus 100dB “metal” music alone Thomas? I heard rumors that there might be other music genres out there … just saying 😆
Did you ever hear very good produced metal? Tool for example. The last 2 Fates Warning albums. Evergrey. The last Exodus album. More examples?
Worlds best headphone must be able to play genres like Rock, Pop and Metal amazing not only Jazz and Classic. Or not?

Apr 9, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #22,072 of 25,522
You know I can't help myself, just brought home a new pair of X9000's and have a T8000 on the way, currently using the SRM-700T and Terminator II DAC playing Qobuz hi res material through Roon, all upsampled to DSD512.
First impressions - more neutral, insane macro detail (the 007 is already amazing in that regard) and the obvious midbass thickness of the 007mk2 is absent with the X9000. Acoustic instruments sound extremely lifelike on the X9000 but what surprised me the most is that the X9000 seem to have better subbass than the 007mk2, probably due to a larger diaphragm.

While the X9000 is superior, the 007mk2 still offers a bit more pleasant, laidback sound to sit back and relax. I just wish Stax would release a MK3 version with pivoting earcups like the 009 series.

Anyone knows if it's possible to plug/unplug the HP on the second port when the amp is running and there is already a HP connected to the first output? I wonder if there is any sound difference with 2 HP's connected...since it's voltage driven, I don't expect it.
Shouldn't be an issue to plug/unplug just remember to turn the volume down before you do.

I also agree the T8000 is not the best option for the money when it comes to amps...

Apr 9, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #22,073 of 25,522
Got it, I don't want to damage either the amp or the headphones from some voltage spikes.
The T8000 was an obvious choice not willing to gamble on artesian products with unknown waiting time / resell value. :wink:
Was also curious about the D50 but folks mentioned it ran very hot, that was a no-no for me knowing it's near impossible to repair because of all the digital stuff inside.

But who knows, I will keep an eye on a used KGSSHV Carbon when it pops up in Europe.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #22,074 of 25,522
Did you ever hear very good produced metal? Tool for example. The last 2 Fates Warning albums. Evergrey. The last Exodus album. More examples?
Worlds best headphone must be able to play genres like Rock, Pop and Metal amazing not only Jazz and Classic. Or not?
I listened to horse the band the other day on them. A little protomartyr and some Metallica and some converge.

It’s gonna play what you throw at it.

I prefer metal on the TC and lcd x of the stuff I have. Most metal is recorded like crap.

The x9000 is gonna be fine for everything. Maybe stick with your crbn. I dunno. You don’t have to worry about enjoyment with them. They’re great.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #22,075 of 25,522
I listened to horse the band the other day on them. A little protomartyr and some Metallica and some converge.

It’s gonna play what you throw at it.

I prefer metal on the TC and lcd x of the stuff I have. Most metal is recorded like crap.

The x9000 is gonna be fine for everything. Maybe stick with your crbn. I dunno. You don’t have to worry about enjoyment with them. They’re great.
When the recording is crap it sounds crap with all headphones.
Metallica especially! Only the DCA Gold remaster Master Of Puppets and Ride The Lightning sounds good.
I don't have much crap recordings only collecting the good ones the other goes in the garbage when it sounds bad.
I'm an Audiophile Metal guy :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #22,076 of 25,522
Sure Thomas I do, but you seem to sound like a "who only has a hammer sees all as a nail" ... hence my comment :wink:

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #22,078 of 25,522
I think I have a Stax problem.
I've has an SRM-1/Mk2 for 15 years and it's been flawless gets moderate use. Recent purchases are 007 MK2 and I was really floored at how good they sound on this amp. On the Topping DZ7s as dac using line out I never feel the need to go past 10 o'clock on the volume control: loads of headroom. I know it's older and will eventually break so I've been looking around at options. Stumbled across another SRM-1/MK2 being sold "as is"...cheap...how can I lose? Well, bought it and it works perfectly. Cleaned it out, dusty and shot the balance/volume control with some contact cleaner. The caps seem ok: no cracks or swelling. Funny, it's seven numbers off in serial number: 5697 and 5690. I mistakenly plugged some pro bias into the normal port and listened for a half hour before I noticed my mistake; volume seemed a little low but still workable.

Five Stax headphones (ear speakers) and two amps, seems like a good problem to have.
btw electrostatic headphones will discharge on their own left alone. Before changing headphones / cables I always power the amp off and turn the volume down, nothing more.

I did use the SR-003 to test the new amplifier, wow! I've posted in the past that these were lackluster. Wrong again; They are lovely with proper volume.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #22,079 of 25,522
I think this is to much!!!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
62D06E0C-9344-4CB0-A495-57FAA9F938D4.jpeg

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #22,080 of 25,522
Hi there,
a sudden urge has grown in me to find a pair of headphones to complement my 007mk2.
And I'm not going to fight it, because I know that this is not, in fact, a sudden urge - it's been growing for a while. It's not that I'm not satisfied with my lovely 007 - in fact I'm in love with every aspect of their sound. It's simply about complementing my collection.
Therefore I'll be looking for something.... similar. Especially characteristics like: speed (airiness), soundstage & holography have to be present. But on top of that I'm looking for a different flavor, something that can be called a variation of electrostatic sound (but not an electrostat).
What headphone comes to your mind first? :)
(let's say that we have a budget for the new 007).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back