The Stax Thread III
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #20,536 of 25,558
I'm glad you liked it. Benson told me that copper cable is a safer choice, so I went with that plan.. Does yours have silver plated cables?
It does have silver. I thought, if you pay a premium for it, it's probably better. Then before it arrived I was second guessing myself. I usually like more of a mellow than an in-your-face sound. But there's a lot to like about the detail of the silver. Once I can get to a meet-up I hope I can A-B the two.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #20,537 of 25,558
Hi everyone. First time posting on this thread. I own a Susvara, an SR1a, and the Abyss TC.

Thinking of getting either the 007 MK2 or the 009s (or both, in time?).

Since the amp question is so befuddling - thinking I'll keep it simple and get an amp that can run both.

The BHSE is what I am thinking. Please feel free to enlighten me if I should be thinking differently.

I listen all genres of music. For instance, I play more vocal and bass-light music with the SR1a and bass-heavy music with the TC. The Susvara doesn't get as much ear-time of late.

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #20,538 of 25,558
Hi everyone. First time posting on this thread. I own a Susvara, an SR1a, and the Abyss TC.

Since the amp question is so befuddling - thinking I'll keep it simple and get an amp that can run both.

The BHSE is what I am thinking. Please feel free to enlighten me if I should be thinking differently.

I listen all genres of music. For instance, I play more vocal and bass-light music with the SR1a and bass-heavy music with the TC. The Susvara doesn't get as much ear-time of late.
If you are going to get 009S, BHSE is probably a better choice. If you want a bit more detail, slightly better refined bass, a bit more airy presentation Carbon is a better choice. BHSE is better at dealing with 009S rough top end presentation though. Try Shangri La Jr too(or SR too if you can, you can just buy the headphones).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #20,539 of 25,558
If you are going to get 009S, BHSE is probably a better choice. If you want a bit more detail, slightly better refined bass, a bit more airy presentation Carbon is a better choice. BHSE is better at dealing with 009S rough top end presentation though. Try Shangri La Jr too(or SR too if you can, you can just buy the headphones).
Thanks @Tugbars

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #20,541 of 25,558
Has anyone ever found a headphone CASE (rather than a stand) suitable for Stax Lambdas? I'm having difficulty finding one big enough.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/protector/1500

pelican-waterproof-lens-photographer-case.jpg

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #20,542 of 25,558
Jul 14, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #20,543 of 25,558

I’m getting ready to go down the exact same journey. If you do go BHSE you can tube roll and the BHSE topic has a ton of info on what tubes to try.

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #20,545 of 25,558
Unrelated but how much of a difference is the OpticalRendu making to your May KTE?
I haven’t listened to it without it. I did have a spring 1 KTE and the May combined with rendu is really really good. Optical rendu combined with server is a huge step up from what I was using that’s for sure.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #20,546 of 25,558

Saw somewhere on HF forum someone comparing the TC to the HE1 and preferred the TC over the HE1.
I wonder how the TC compared to the SR-Omega or the HE-90 ancient dinosaurs.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #20,547 of 25,558
Saw somewhere on HF forum someone comparing the TC to the HE1 and preferred the TC over the HE1.
I wonder how the TC compared to the SR-Omega or the HE-90 ancient dinosaurs.
Yeah, I know a couple of people who prefer the TC over HE-1, for the sheer physicality of the TC experience.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #20,549 of 25,558
Hey all,

Just found this thread and wanted to contribute alittle. I am relatively new to the estat world, I started with the Nectar Hive + Bottlehead Energizer but sold those off due to the stator sticking problem with Hives and the Bottlehead Energizer not having enough power. Full volume on the pot would not even be loud enough for me.

I then moved to the SRS-3100 bundle of the L300 + SRM252S. Within 3 days of receiving it I got a 10-15db channel imbalance between the left and right channel. But I got to say I really loved the L300 and how it sounded, and I still wanna go into the estat world.

I then got advice from a friend who was very into estats, so now I purchased an SRD 7 Professional that I am pairing with a vintage Kenwood Integrated Amp, and have a Stax L700 coming in as well. Hopefully this works flawlessly and I don't go 3/3 on bad estat purchases!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back