The Stax Thread III
Jul 10, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #18,781 of 25,570
Without testing amps side to side, it's hard to tell which one performs better than the other. I'm sure one day you'll test both and decide by yourself. While testing MySphere headphones, even they don't ask for a lot of power, I realized how sensitive they are for clean power and proper signal integrity. They get loud with no problem but they sounded really bad with most of the amps we paired them with. like really bad. How amps process the signal plays a big role in determining sound too.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #18,782 of 25,570
I'm sure one day you'll test both and decide by yourself.

I will indeed in the near future ^^ (if everything goes according to plan)

Comparing the SRM-717 with the KGSSHV didn't exactly blow me away, but such is high-end audio I suppose. Relatively small and gradual improvements aka diminishing returns.

I'm not arguing the Carbon sounds different, I haven't heard it. What surprises me is the power aspect... even with the whole debate about voltage swing at 20 kHz and not being current-limited, I can only assume some people listen at much higher volumes than I do, where the amp's features come across more easily.

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #18,783 of 25,570
If it isn't a tongue in cheek comment then you can read back through the thread to see some forcefully expressed opinions on both sides of this debate!

I have read a significant portion of the thread, but that was my take on it. I'm not arguing about sound quality differences here, however I am serious about the power aspect, but then again I may be a low-volume listener. If I literally can't use the volume wheel of my KGSSHV Mini without significantly lowering the DAC's output, how can even more power possibly be of any use?

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #18,785 of 25,570
Perun sounded very similar to 009S, but less transparent
Consider perun is only 1000ish dollar they are good deal ideed I have l300le to complement them for brighter signature

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #18,786 of 25,570
I have read a significant portion of the thread, but that was my take on it. I'm not arguing about sound quality differences here, however I am serious about the power aspect, but then again I may be a low-volume listener. If I literally can't use the volume wheel of my KGSSHV Mini without significantly lowering the DAC's output, how can even more power possibly be of any use?

Another thing I don't understand (and I'm really going to show my ignorance here...) Suppose I use a Topping D90. The RCA outputs 2Vrms. The balanced outputs 4Vrms. So can I just easily increase the power (and therefore the sound quality) just by using the balanced?

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #18,787 of 25,570
So can I just easily increase the power (and therefore the sound quality) just by using the balanced?

No, because the amplifier would clip all the same, although it can vary from amp to amp. My DAC outputs 6.7 Vrms through its XLR outputs, but it doesn't mean much in practice because all it does is give me less fine control over the volume knob on the amp because it gets louder sooner.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #18,788 of 25,570
No, because the amplifier would clip all the same, although it can vary from amp to amp. My DAC outputs 6.7 Vrms through its XLR outputs, but it doesn't mean much in practice because all it does is give me less fine control over the volume knob on the amp because it gets louder sooner.

Can you explain why it would "clip all the same" if it's being pushed less hard? Or am I missing the point?

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #18,790 of 25,570
If I literally can't use the volume wheel of my KGSSHV Mini without significantly lowering the DAC's output, how can even more power possibly be of any use?

I get good results by turning my BHSE volume to max (which is +0dB) and then using my DAC's volume control. Not only does it sound best to me this way, but I also then can use my DAC's remote to control the volume from my listening seat.

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #18,791 of 25,570
Jul 12, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #18,792 of 25,570
Question for the group... any word on any other future flagships releasing? Stax or by any other stat brand? I have a WES here that I really enjoy, but it and the BHSE are overkill. With Woo's trade in program, I could try out the Woo 3ES at a reasonable cost. (also, I really just need to get rid of one of these amps so that's a big driver as well).

I could also sell the WES and* BHSE and maybe look at a T2 build or something.. but the reason I ask is because I'm really content with the level of the WES/BHSE with what I have. So If there really aren't going to be additional headphones that ever release that are of interest I may just keep what I have and sell off the WES here. It just feels silly buying such an expensive amp when there's only like 2-3 TOTL headphone options. (in comparison, with my woo WA33, I enjoy cycling through like 6 high end cans)

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #18,793 of 25,570
I didnt get any reponse here on my last post here (wrong thread?), but what modern earpads are compatible with a pair of vintage Stax SR-Lambda Normal Bias? Im pretty sure they are glued on.

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #18,794 of 25,570
I just got my first estat in the form of the 95X. Love the sound but it's plagued by static and squealing noises. I'm going to try to exchange for a new pair that will hopefully resolve the issue but was wondering if this is a problem with estats in general including Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back