The Stax Thread III
Feb 13, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #17,146 of 25,560
Another question about voltage of driver units.
Is there a problem in using driver units wired for continental Europe (230 VAC) in the UK (240 VAC) and vice-versa since they are well within 10%?
Lived in some main cities in Europe and measured 232-235 VAC and where I'm now in the UK measured 245 VAC.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #17,147 of 25,560
Hello guys, I am new to Stax headphones. I just picked up the ifi iESL pro to complete my ifi pro stack and got a pair of Stax SR-L700s which I am finding to be absolutely fantastic. I honestly did not have high expectations for them, but upon first listen I knew that expectation was completely stupid and that I now understand why electros are held in such high esteem.

I have been looking for an answer to a couple questions that maybe you all could help me answer. 1. Do any of you or anyone you know prefer the L700 to the 009? 2. Is it true that the 009 is more detailed then the 009S and if so what makes it worth going to the 009S over the 009? I want the most detailed set up I can find. I thought I had found it in the Utopia and while I still find that headphone fantastic the unbelievable clarity and lack of any distortion whatsoever on the SR-L700s is just incredible and makes me wonder if the 009 or 009S will provide that.

Any help here is much appreciated thanks guys.

I listened to L700s on a Stax SR-353X for a long time and loved them. Then I went to RMAF and heard a Blue Hawaii SE, and couldn't pass up the chance to purchase it. I don't know anything about the iESL, but the 353 did not do the 700s justice. Awhile later I also picked up a pair of 009Ss. While there is no question the 009Ss are more detailed than the 700s, I found that the difference between the 353 and the BHSE was much greater. I'm very happy listening to the 700s on the BHSE. I also can't really compare the 009S to a 009 as I haven't spent much time with the 009.

I later moved on to a Carbon CC which is even a notch more transparent than the BHSE w/o all the hassle of the tubes.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #17,148 of 25,560
I listened to L700s on a Stax SR-353X for a long time and loved them. Then I went to RMAF and heard a Blue Hawaii SE, and couldn't pass up the chance to purchase it. I don't know anything about the iESL, but the 353 did not do the 700s justice. Awhile later I also picked up a pair of 009Ss. While there is no question the 009Ss are more detailed than the 700s, I found that the difference between the 353 and the BHSE was much greater. I'm very happy listening to the 700s on the BHSE. I also can't really compare the 009S to a 009 as I haven't spent much time with the 009.

I later moved on to a Carbon CC which is even a notch more transparent than the BHSE w/o all the hassle of the tubes.
Thank you my friend this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I really didnt want to mess with a tube amp for electros as the whole setup is already expensive enough plus I seem to enjoy a solid state sound more then tube for whatever reason. I will be looking into the carbon cc. I do enjoy the l700s a lot. I actually enjoy them more then my Utopias and LCD-4s which I didnt think would be possible at this price point. I will probably still end up with the 009s if not simply for the better build quality considering I feel I will break the L700s every time I pick them up. Im surprised no one has made a better head band for these.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #17,149 of 25,560
Thank you my friend this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I really didnt want to mess with a tube amp for electros as the whole setup is already expensive enough plus I seem to enjoy a solid state sound more then tube for whatever reason. I will be looking into the carbon cc. I do enjoy the l700s a lot. I actually enjoy them more then my Utopias and LCD-4s which I didnt think would be possible at this price point. I will probably still end up with the 009s if not simply for the better build quality considering I feel I will break the L700s every time I pick them up. Im surprised no one has made a better head band for these.

You can actually get the SR-507 headband which fits the L700. The part the hold the earspeaker is made out of metal. Also I've seen some euro version of the L700 ship with the metal version.
Not sure why the rest is all plastic.

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #17,150 of 25,560
You can actually get the SR-507 headband which fits the L700. The part the hold the earspeaker is made out of metal. Also I've seen some euro version of the L700 ship with the metal version.
Not sure why the rest is all plastic.
Man that is awesome info thank you for that. I will definitely be getting that.

Feb 13, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #17,152 of 25,560
L700 has a "S" version? I know 009 has a new "S" version (009S), but haven't heard L700S. Do you have a link?
If my budget is limited, do you recommend to upgrade the driver first to Blue Hawaii instead of upgrading the headphone to 009S? (I own SR L700+SRM 007tA).
If you choose between Blue Hawaii and Carbon CC, which one is your choice? And would thank you if you can explain your rationale.

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #17,153 of 25,560
Yeah that headband looks way more sturdy. I looked around a little bit and seems like the metal headband is going to be a bit hard to find.

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #17,155 of 25,560
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #17,157 of 25,560
L700 has a "S" version? I know 009 has a new "S" version (009S), but haven't heard L700S. Do you have a link?
If my budget is limited, do you recommend to upgrade the driver first to Blue Hawaii instead of upgrading the headphone to 009S? (I own SR L700+SRM 007tA).
If you choose between Blue Hawaii and Carbon CC, which one is your choice? And would thank you if you can explain your rationale.

No, sorry for the confusion, it's difficult to use the plural way of referencing headphones when they start shipping them w/ S at the end, I try to capitalize it when it's part of the name and lowercase when I'm using the plural. There isn't any 700S headphone from Stax, just a pair of 700s.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #17,158 of 25,560
Dear Forum,
I’ve recently acquired a set of very old SR-Lambda (serial number is around 2000) at a very good condition, except one thing. The continuity of the cabling next to the strain reliefs are broken. The sound is flawless except that some static can be heard when I am moving my head.
My question is that if it is possible to cut back and remove the damaged section of the wires and reuse the same relief somehow, or they are glued together?
Is it something that can be done without damaging the earspeaker?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #17,159 of 25,560
Staxxx in my jean’s, phantom up in my garage.

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #17,160 of 25,560
New Stax owner here. After months of shopping around I found something in my budget to dip my toe in. Got ahold of a SRS-2050 basic system at what I think is a pretty good price and so far I'm loving it. I totally get what people say about the detail and ability to resolve.

My only complaint is the pads on the SR-202 ear speakers and I've ordered a set of 507 pads from Japan which I hope will help with that.

I'm sort of wondering what people general upgrade path has been like. Is the sound 80/20 ear speaker to energizer?

Any advice (besides selling plasma for some 09s) or info for a first time 'stat owner is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back