The Stax Thread III
Sep 16, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #12,933 of 25,529
Can i connect an external drive through USB ?
Is the Yodobashi Camera store ?
To my memory they were regular cd players lacking the possibility to connect a usb drive. Maybe if you ask them to change as they had a lot of other stuff there.

Yes it is the Yodobashi Camera store. It's a huge electronics retail chain with locations all over Tokyo but I think the Akihabara store has the largest collection of headphones. Tokyo residents might correct me as I only spent a week in Japan..

The Stax on demo at the Akihabara Yodobashi Camera store are all hooked up to Marantz SACD players. They all have USB ports on the front. I used to bring my own usb cable and audition via my phone's songs. They used to have the same equipment on demo in Shinjuku.. but it looks like they stopped doing that there a few years ago.

Also, anyone who's been to the Akihabara Yodobashi--ever notice that the 007s on display for audition is SZ2-1001?
stax1001.jpg

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #12,934 of 25,529
The Stax on demo at the Akihabara Yodobashi Camera store are all hooked up to Marantz SACD players. They all have USB ports on the front. I used to bring my own usb cable and audition via my phone's songs. They used to have the same equipment on demo in Shinjuku.. but it looks like they stopped doing that there a few years ago.

Also, anyone who's been to the Akihabara Yodobashi--ever notice that the 007s on display for audition is SZ2-1001?

I actually have an HD800S that has an SN/#1000, but this is pretty damn close

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #12,937 of 25,529
What lol, what hifi gave oppo sonica dac 3stars....I noticed it today lolz.
weird its sound good with stax setup. weird weird....lol
edit. no Sonica dac is clearly smoother than 5-star mojo. weird...
edit2. no sonica is a tad too bright for my preference...sad...lol
edit3 now I want to try Accuphase DP950/DC950 combo...
edit4 i found SPDIF input doent sound bright at all. wow input diffrence is real.omg...

Attachments

• enhanced-3636-1461851337-1.jpg
    enhanced-3636-1461851337-1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #12,939 of 25,529
What lol, what hifi gave oppo sonica dac 3stars....I noticed it today lolz.
weird its sound good with stax setup. weird weird....lol
edit. no Sonica dac is clearly smoother than 5-star mojo. weird...

What is genuinely funny is that in all probability the Sonica does not sound any different from a myriad of perfectly competent dacs on the market.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #12,942 of 25,529
many hifi magazines are more about tech-fashion than HONEST truth.

this is about pc games, but you get the idea.... :
Mass+effect+3+goty+goty+right+thur_5abe39_3473365.gif

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #12,943 of 25,529
oh stax-fi-er's, I call for your help!

today a terrible thing happened. I was listening to my SRM-1/mk2 = SR-404 ..and suddenly a smooth volume drop over a few seconds happened... now the sound is dirty and farty bass with weak volume in both channels...the drop is pretty significant, 2'oclock is the new 11'oclock on the knob .
ive narrowed it down to the phones or amp (as the sound is crap now on both my digital and analog rigs) , but i dont have other stax phones/amp to test... which one do you think is the culprit? this rig is about 12 years old now..

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #12,944 of 25,529
oh stax-fi-er's, I call for your help!

today a terrible thing happened. I was listening to my SRM-1/mk2 = SR-404 ..and suddenly a smooth volume drop over a few seconds happened... now the sound is dirty and farty bass with weak volume in both channels... ive narrowed it down to the phones or amp (as the sound is crap now on both my digital and analog rigs) , but i dont have other stax phones/amp to test... which one do you think is the culprit? this rig is about 12 years old now..

I would check the amp first, and particularly the power supply, which is shared by both channels. Your amp is over 20 years old, if the electrolytic power supply caps have never been replaced, they could have gone bad.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #12,945 of 25,529
if its in both channels, it has to be a power supply issue. possibly the bias supply, although failures there are really rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back