The Stax Thread III
May 19, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #12,106 of 25,523
Vcc L == Vcc R == 275 volts
Vcc C == 450V

So max electrostatic output is something like 1000 Vppss, thd is 1 to 2%

hybrid tube/solid state shunt regulated power supply is definitely nice although quite complicated.

This is correct, @kevin gilmore :) To be precise the Vcc L == Vcc R == 280V and THD is less than 0.5%

DT-HWT is a push–pull tube design amp with custom-made OPTs that based on the specs of Stax SR-009 ear speakers, which has Sound Pressure Sensitivity: 101dB / 100V r.m.s. @ 1 kHz. So the safe max output of this amp is calculated at ~135V r.m.s.; meaning each tube cover half of that, which is ~67.5V r.m.s. x √2 = 96V, still less than the 100V max standard cathode-heater isolation like @hpeter mentioned.

Now, after I found out that the new STAX amp T8000 has maximum output voltage: 470V r.m.s. @ 1kHz, the amp can handle that by just adding an auto step-up transformer.

Thank you @JimL11, I only know Mullard have great tubes but am not aware of they also built great amps.

Here are a few more interesting measurements at R = 6Ω (not with the 009)

medium_WP_20170425_12_55_19_Pro.jpg

medium_WP_20170425_12_56_51_Pro.jpg

medium_WP_20170425_13_01_39_Pro.jpg

medium_WP_20170425_13_02_21_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #12,107 of 25,523
Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #12,109 of 25,523
What a happy day. They had the HE1, the MSB Stax-amp and the new STAX Flagship amp for testing at the Munich HighEnd show.
Very subtile first impressions:
the STAX Amp sounded flat on 009 and 007mkII, but that may result on music choice and quality they offered from the music server.
MSB was nice, warm sounding remind me on my BHSE,
Sennheiser HE1 -- best presentation, quiet listening room, very enjoyable and powerful sounding system-wow!
to bad that these toys are so expensive
KARL

I spent three days in Munich I was happy I could listen to everything.

I finally got to hear Headamp BHSE which I didn't like with 009, I thought it was too bright.

Thumbs up for the new Stax amp very nice and MSB amp. I also got the impression that the MSB amp was the smoothest and warmest of the bunch. Maybe the best but with a very small margin.

Ah by the way I have a modded 727 and the Questyle CMA800P as preamp. Not many people have it but I am perfectly happy with this setup now that I listened to the more exotic gear and I don't feel I miss anything.

May 22, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #12,110 of 25,523
As a Chiron driver it is allowed to park inside the show!

joking,---- that was the Car HiFi BURMESTER sound presentation object.

In fact, this is my car. Not to far away from the entrance too.

Ha Ha, you funny. Karl, can I ask, how much better in your mind did the HE-1 sound v your BHSE and 009s? That is if it was better. Did you have a USB stick with some of your tracks?

May 22, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #12,111 of 25,523
Well I can give you my impression if you want. I was not particularly impressed by the He 1.

I was much more impressed by the Shangri-la. The ladder might be the best ever.

However I am more and more happy as a Stax owner and more of a fan of Stax policy. 009 are not that far back and are still one of the best after 6 years after they were released and the best if you consider quality/price ratio.

May 22, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #12,112 of 25,523
For the very short impression of the HE-1 i think it has some potential for a real deep bass and smooth, not to shrill heigh tone but still a lot detail.
Yes, for my taste it sound better than my 009/BHSE combo but for a serious comparison of DAC/Amp/Headphone set,
i would like to choose out of music and recording quality i know and two week time for testing on a quiet location.
I am sure the reason of the flat boring sound of the new STAX amp may result in unfortunate music choice.
MSB amp was smooth but maybe less detailed sounding?
Too much noise at the Booth.......

May 22, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #12,113 of 25,523
choice of source components are very critical, unless you do long home auditioning, you may not able to get proper conclutions imo.
when i auditioned he1 at tokyo headphone festival, very old Esoteric CDP was hooked up to he1.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #12,114 of 25,523
For the very short impression of the HE-1 i think it has some potential for a real deep bass and smooth, not to shrill heigh tone but still a lot detail.
Yes, for my taste it sound better than my 009/BHSE combo but for a serious comparison of DAC/Amp/Headphone set,
i would like to choose out of music and recording quality i know and two week time for testing on a quiet location.
I am sure the reason of the flat boring sound of the new STAX amp may result in unfortunate music choice.
MSB amp was smooth but maybe less detailed sounding?
Too much noise at the Booth.......

Interesting. I think we are getting there on this. I take owners of the 009 and a good amp (BHSE, T2 or Carbon) as a good mile post for my preferred review. I will post my own review soon hopefully. Karl, what tubes do you use in your BHSE?

May 23, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #12,115 of 25,523
Has anybody tried the L700 with the SRM-353x driver and can give brief impressions? Also, is the L700 considered a brighter sounding Lambda in comparisons to the other lower models? I've read conflicting reports on this point - some have commented on how great the bass response is while others say it is bright in the same way as the 009. I had a 2170 system in the past which I found to be a little harsh in the treble at times.

May 23, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #12,116 of 25,523
IMG_2512.jpg IMG_2513.jpg

For the past month I have been listening 009s with increased clamping force from rubber bands looped over the "ARC" (Head Spring). See the attached photos for the rubber bands both on and off the ARC. I have found a tradeoff between a minor decrease in listening comfort (more just a change in the "feel") and substantial improvements in fidelity with tighter clamping. With the four rubberbands shown in the pictures, I hear (e.g., with Krips' Tchaikovsky's 5th on London) more clearly

1) individual lines in the composition incl. esp. secondary lines or subtle accents

2) "groups of individual performers" as opposed to "sections"

3) instrumental "action", i.e., how the components of instruments work together to produce the total sound, e.g., strings, bow and soundboard for violin.

4) hall ambience as distinct from "direct sound" giving a stronger sense of the room in which the performance happened and spatial relationships within that room

5) soundstage openness, i.e., the spaces between performers.

More in the arena of appreciation, the composer's score in all its complexity is more apparent, the instuments are more beautiful, the virtuosity of performers by themselves and in ensemble is more gripping. While they are not my bread and butter, the rubberbands increase my pleasure in listening to e.g., Pink Floyd and Roxy Music, and appreciation for their wonderful music and complex productions.

This all started when, after upgrading to a substantially better phonograph cartridge with less bass bloat: I was consistently missing *something* from the bass. Increased clamping gives the bass satisfyingly more "weight". In repeated ABA tests, I *believe* that there is probably not much more spectral energy at low frequencies. As is well appreciated here, the 009s can go quite low. So, I think that, the energy that is there becomes more "coherent", to give more weight and focus. Double basses are a key player in this drama. When I go back to stock 009s, I can hear the fundamentals from the basses at roughly the same level as through "banded" 009s, but somehow the fundamentals and all the harmonics do not conspire in the same way to produce the impact of bowed or plucked basses. With stock 009s, the basses do produce an indistinct low "humming" and there is some "string sound", but it does not all add up to give the as much weight and impact as with banded 009s. The increase in "coherence" applies all the way up the spectrum, making the sound much "cleaner" and more focused, in terms of both timbres and locations. So, with bands,I hear more clearly where instruments are, and when more than one instrument is playing, I can distinguish notes from each more easily.

I am sort of hoping Tyl glances at this thread and might be moved to see if measurements show any of the audible changes I have mentioned above. I would also be interested in hearing the results of others if they play in this sand box. I have not yet optimised the clamping force: I have not increased the number of rubberbands to the point where either the sound is getting worse or the lack of comfort is simply unbearable. In some ways the change is not all that obvious, e.g., because the overall spectral balance and sonic character of the 009s is not changing all that much. For me this is a "big, subtle" change: even after a month I am amazed at how amazingly good familiar or even new recordings sound. We may have markedly different optimal forces, from listener to listener, as variation in head sizes presumably changes clamping force for even stock 009s; and personal tolerance to clamping force might vary widely. However, for me, with my head size and the rubberbands I happened to find around the house, the musical and emotional value is substantial.

May 23, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #12,117 of 25,523

For the past month I have been listening 009s with increased clamping force from rubber bands looped over the "ARC" (Head Spring). See the attached photos for the rubber bands both on and off the ARC. I have found a tradeoff between a minor decrease in listening comfort (more just a change in the "feel") and substantial improvements in fidelity with tighter clamping. With the four rubberbands shown in the pictures, I hear (e.g., with Krips' Tchaikovsky's 5th on London) more clearly

Wow, I must say it's unfortunate that you have to do that with such expensive headphones. Seems like Stax should work on that!

I am glad it helps you, though.

May 23, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #12,119 of 25,523
Has anybody tried the L700 with the SRM-353x driver and can give brief impressions? Also, is the L700 considered a brighter sounding Lambda in comparisons to the other lower models? I've read conflicting reports on this point - some have commented on how great the bass response is while others say it is bright in the same way as the 009. I had a 2170 system in the past which I found to be a little harsh in the treble at times.

Unfortunately, I don't have the SRM-353x but I do have the L700 with a SRM-006t and a SRM-252s. I had a SR-007/SRM-717 until very recently (for 10 years) and the SR-207 (that came with the SRM-252s).

I don't find the L700 to be bright! Not at all! I do love the sound of the L700 on both amp and the tonal balance is just perfect in my opinion (on both amp). Compare to the SR-207, the bass of the L700 are just "better"... deeper, more defined, more punchy! and the L700 is not brighter than the SR-207.

Confort of the L700 is also better than the confort of the SR-207 (thanks to the leather pads)

May 23, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #12,120 of 25,523
Thanks for your comments.....I am surprised the 252s can drive the L700 competently but I suppose the Lambda series in general are not difficult to drive as compared to the Omegas and that is part of their appeal. I am torn between getting the L500+353x or the L700+353x...the former is the 5100 system. I would think the 353x would be more than up to the task for the L700.

I used to have a 404LE with a T1 and miss it but the only thing that bothered me was the headband mechanism kept moving. The pads were also a little too thin. The L700 and L500 both have a clicking system to hold them in place and have thicker pad design. The 404LE was much smoother and balanced than the 2170 and the bass was pretty decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back