The Stax Thread III
Sep 30, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #10,096 of 25,560

Rubbish. What DAC were you using, which KGSShv was it (mini?). My 2 x KGSShv's Sanyo were epic, really a great amp. I sold it to get a Carbon and the guys who bought them also raved about the sound. I think you are way off, sorry.

I was not impressed with the Carbon myself.
It was either the 009 was subpar, or the Carbon was, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #10,097 of 25,560
Is this that hard to understand one could like things otherwise ? 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #10,098 of 25,560
  Is this that hard to understand one could like things otherwise ? 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Yes, there are always detractors, it's life. I heard the Abyss and the HD800s and hated them. But I don't go on about it, as don't care TBH.

The Carbon and 009s with a good DAC are the single best system I have ever heard (IMO). 

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #10,100 of 25,560
  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have a Mjolnir prototype mini that I've used. That unit is 400V, and isn't so warm like my Sanyo 450V (same with astrostar's old 450V unit). 
Living near Purk, I've heard too many KGSShv 
tongue.gif

OK, sorry, yes, you are right so I sit corrected. I mis-remembered which type my amp is. Thank you for clearing that up, and thanks to Purk again too. :)
By the way, just to add my 2 cents to this interesting debate, I also tried out the Abyss for couple of years, decided it was not my cup of tea, then sold it and moved back to my Staxes.
(I also gave up on the HD800 too at this time after about 5 years with it.)
I guess that's my 4 cents worth now.

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #10,102 of 25,560
  I was not impressed with the Carbon myself.
It was either the 009 was subpar, or the Carbon was, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IME it may actually be the 009. 
tongue_smile.gif
 The Carbon sounded pretty good with the Omega.

FWIW though that Carbon has already changed hands twice now (after myself) and is now being offered to a fifth owner. This is within the span of two months...

I believe the last experience I had with a full-size KGSSHV was following a Yggdrasil and paired with the SR-009. A supremely underwhelming experience -- dry and unengaging with an artificial/plasticky quality to the treble, MIA sub-bass and low meaningful resolution (SR-009 seems to trade away microdetail for macrodetail/hyperclarity).

I'm not going to advocate against buying a KGSSHV, but I am absolutely going to advocate against buying one blind. Definitely a try-before-you-buy product which is a bit unfortunate given the DIY nature and variation in builds. DIYing a unit for oneself is a different story and probably quite rewarding.

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #10,104 of 25,560
  OK, sorry, yes, you are right so I sit corrected. I mis-remembered which type my amp is. Thank you for clearing that up, and thanks to Purk again too. :)
By the way, just to add my 2 cents to this interesting debate, I also tried out the Abyss for couple of years, decided it was not my cup of tea, then sold it and moved back to my Staxes.
(I also gave up on the HD800 too at this time after about 5 years with it.)
I guess that's my 4 cents worth now.

More cents than ever!  Glad that you are still enjoying that amp.  It is definitely sound a bit warmer than the KGSSHV tiny Mini that is selling right now and a better match to the SR009 IMO.  

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #10,106 of 25,560
Anyone know if I need a balanced DAC or can I use rca/3.5mm to XLR adapters for a KGSSHV Carbon without diminishing sound quality? Going to audition and possibly buy one this weekend. Cant find any info on this.

You should be able to do that without a problem.  However, DAC designers often pay more attention to a balanced output than single-end output hence balance signal maybe preferable.  If your DAC is only SE out only, then it should not be of any issue.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #10,108 of 25,560
Apologies if I'm asking in the wrong forum but can anyone share the complete list of parts (together with the specific identification /part number) required to build a Carbon and where I could source those parts? Would be most appreciated. Thanks

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #10,110 of 25,560
Apologies if I'm asking in the wrong forum but can anyone share the complete list of parts (together with the specific identification /part number) required to build a Carbon and where I could source those parts? Would be most appreciated. Thanks

Over at the other place. it's head but use 'case' instead of fi. Look for the Amps - DIY section, then KGSShv Carbon. 

Best to chat to some of those guys, locate someone doing a PCB group buy, then ask for the BOM and advice as you go.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back