The Stax Thread III
Jun 9, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #9,016 of 25,558
depends on which transformer is inside your unit.  some are actually 100v only transformers, others are the universal transformers with the wires cut.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #9,018 of 25,558
As I hinted, I wish it weren't so expensive to build. The BOM is "fairly" priced in market terms so it's not economically overpriced, but the required cost to have something that sounds nice is depressing.

So, build an SRX Plus.  A few hundred in parts, another hundred in tubes, whatever you want to spend for a case, simple enough to wire point-to-point, which is how I built mine, and does a damn good job driving my SR-007 Mk II with spritzer mod IMHO.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #9,020 of 25,558
Jun 11, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #9,022 of 25,558
very sad to see so much knowledge leaving - astrostar59 taught me everything I know about stat amps, big thanks

I don't think he is leaving this site yet.

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #9,023 of 25,558

Maybe not yet? I got attacked over at the other place even though I rarely post there and in this case didn't. Thought, I've head enough. BUT still listening to music and TBH most of the guys on here, even though some don't know the highest technical detail of how an amp works or is designed, have golden ears and spent shed loads of time (and some money as well). In my book that personal experience is as good. Don't need to know how a 911 works but you can be great at enjoying / driving it.

I have also had a lot of reputations and PMs asking me not to leave, so thanks guys for that. This is what this hobby is about (folk helping each other).

Been enjoying my speakers and new DAC the last few days as my 2 x KGSShv's are sold. I miss the 009s for sure.

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #9,025 of 25,558
Havent see any on sale???

You doing the right thing, just chill and listen to music, stay away for a while and come back freshy, and, just ignore idiots
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

Maybe not yet? I got attacked over at the other place even though I rarely post there and in this case didn't. Thought, I've head enough. BUT still listening to music and TBH most of the guys on here, even though some don't know the highest technical detail of how an amp works or is designed, have golden ears and spent shed loads of time (and some money as well). In my book that personal experience is as good. Don't need to know how a 911 works but you can be great at enjoying / driving it.

I have also had a lot of reputations and PMs asking me not to leave, so thanks guys for that. This is what this hobby is about (folk helping each other).

Been enjoying my speakers and new DAC the last few days as my 2 x KGSShv's are sold. I miss the 009s for sure.

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #9,026 of 25,558

Agree. I am gone, too much slag offs over at the other place. Leave you all to it, find your own advice..... don't know why I bother. Thanks for the 'Reputations' from guys here mind, appreciate that. I think I will never post ever again, too many angry people....

Quote:

but that is what he says, leave you all to it, find your own advice

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #9,027 of 25,558

astrostar59 glad you still hear and listing to music. know you spent shed loads of time on this and is higly knowledge even now finer technical details ... that is so rarely.
Glad you didn't call 911 and just works to be great and enjoying - much succes driving.

Just pop the dogs and chill - dont leaf yet.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #9,028 of 25,558
  I write this here. I, ve open a new thread but no good luck with my dudes and after reading a lot I have still a question which I' d like to resolve:

I, ve decided to reterminate my HE-60 with Stax plug and sell the HEV70...I do not plan to sell my HE60 because they are fantastic and I'm very happy with them. Along with my SR-009 and 4070 they form a perfect trio.

I ordered a Stax male & female plugs and my purpose is to cut the original cable approximately 20cm (8 inches) before the connector and place there the female plug, while on the other side put the male connector 

Is absolutely necessary to put a 5M ohm resistor before the Stax plug or there is risk of damage for the headphones if I don't put it?

Thanks

popcorn.gif

I'd like to afford the retermination next week. Could someone help me in this question?
Do you think there are sound differences with/without the resistor?

Thanks once again

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #9,029 of 25,558
Etched and drilled. Gotta be a knack to wiping off the toner resist without smearing it all over the board, but i sure don't have it. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #9,030 of 25,558

popcorn.gif

I'd like to afford the retermination next week. Could someone help me in this question?
Do you think there are sound differences with/without the resistor?

Thanks once again

Yes, use the resistor there. It is simply best practice, and on top of that I think there is a chance of damage to the headphones if you don't. The resistor controls the amount of power that flows to the diaphragm, to keep it charged. Because I do not have enough knowledge about electronics, I cannot say for sure what will happen if you don't use it. A resistor is so cheap however, that it would not be very smart to leave out this component if there would be a small chance you could damage your HE60 without it.

While I had my HE60, I made a Stax adapter by cutting up an old Stax extension cord, and making a ghetto-style female HE60 plug at the other end, with a 4M7 resistor on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back