The Stax Thread III
May 9, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #5,117 of 25,523
I'm going to change the tubes in my T1s. Mine has some no name Americans, which some said may be the source of brightness/etch in my Lambdas.

I have the choice of a Japnese ITT 6CG7 short or long plate. Also, a Raytheon 6CG7 pair but they are almost double the price of the ITTs. Has anyone had experience with these? 

Thank you. 

May 9, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #5,118 of 25,523
Erm, nah, the Lambda's etch isn't going to be solved by a tuberoll. Try the sorbothane mods, or hell, wrapping some cling film around the sides of the drivers if you're really cheap.

The Japanese (short plate) 6CG7s seem very similar to each other, construction wise. They might all be the same tube, the Raytheon and the normally recommended Toshibas look really similar to each other.

May 9, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #5,119 of 25,523
I picked up a b version of the srm1-mk2 professional amp. I'd like to restore it to top performing condition. I was going to replace the caps resistors and diodes to start. Is there anything else I can do to this amp to boost its performance? Also, is there a parts list anywhere?

May 10, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #5,120 of 25,523
  I'm going to change the tubes in my T1s. Mine has some no name Americans, which some said may be the source of brightness/etch in my Lambdas.

I have the choice of a Japnese ITT 6CG7 short or long plate. Also, a Raytheon 6CG7 pair but they are almost double the price of the ITTs. Has anyone had experience with these? 

Thank you. 

Instructions for adjusting the bias after a tube change can be found here and here.

May 10, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #5,121 of 25,523
My replacement SR-007A's finally showed up after having to return the last pair for a channel imbalance.  I need to spend more time with them to get re-acclimated.  It's good to have them back and plugged into the KGST where they belong.

Was listening to some Grant Green again last night....nice

HS

May 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #5,122 of 25,523
Picked up this srm1-mk2 professional unit.  No idea if it works or not.  I'm told the power light comes on.  planning on doing a full restore to put it in tip top shape.  Anyone have a parts list for this model?  That sure would speed up the process.  Also, any known upgrades?

I was going to replace the caps, resistors and diodes.  anything else I should upgrade?  I replaced the balance and offset pots on my last restore that was much older.  is that overkill?  Any advice greatly appreciated.  

May 23, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #5,123 of 25,523
What's this about revised 727 and 007t amps?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766651/2015-tokyo-fujiya-avic-spring-headphone-festival-report#post_11606743
from Arnaud:

Last stop was Stax, having my traditional chit chat with Sasaki-san (director of sales):
- Nothing new at the show but we may expect something at the fall festival in the entry level (portable gear)
- No news about the T2 return but the project isn't completely canned at least
- We may see a refresh of the existing driver line, in particular the SRM727 and / or SRM007t2
- About the rumour in regards to changes to the SR007 and SR009: there's no such thing! (what do you expect them to say :wink: ).
- About the pads: there might have been alterations to the foam material but that is admittedly out of Stax control / something that sometimes happens at the supplier.
- Also sasaki-san commented that all their pads are made by hand by a small artisan. No two pads are identical to the others so these manufacturing variations may partly explain differences in sound perceived by some with some recent batches.
- Conclusion: Stax remains Stax, it's business as usual there :wink:.

May 23, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #5,124 of 25,523
  What's this about revised 727 and 007t amps?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766651/2015-tokyo-fujiya-avic-spring-headphone-festival-report#post_11606743
from Arnaud:

Last stop was Stax, having my traditional chit chat with Sasaki-san (director of sales):
- Nothing new at the show but we may expect something at the fall festival in the entry level (portable gear)
- No news about the T2 return but the project isn't completely canned at least
- We may see a refresh of the existing driver line, in particular the SRM727 and / or SRM007t2
- About the rumour in regards to changes to the SR007 and SR009: there's no such thing! (what do you expect them to say :wink: ).
- About the pads: there might have been alterations to the foam material but that is admittedly out of Stax control / something that sometimes happens at the supplier.
- Also sasaki-san commented that all their pads are made by hand by a small artisan. No two pads are identical to the others so these manufacturing variations may partly explain differences in sound perceived by some with some recent batches.
- Conclusion: Stax remains Stax, it's business as usual there :wink:.

My guess is that the reported changes in sound quality in the 007 and 009 are explained by the changes in pads and foam material noted. zolkis has reported that he was able to change the sound quality of these two phones this way.
I also suspect that all, or a large part of the change is due to better damping of mechanical resonance distortion by the different foam materials. In my own reports even, sticking small amounts of sorbothane, a material designed specifically for mechanical damping, to earcups was able to markedly change the sound signature, generally for the better.

May 27, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #5,125 of 25,523
This thread is sleeping. Let's go for some SR-X/mk3 pro love :

Got rid of a small dust on the mylar within the left driver (there initially was some slight buzzing sometimes when bias comes in), new pads arrived today from audiocubes and in place.
They are now what I call "mint". Maybe the coolest looking headphones I have, and great sound too.
Just my 2 cents of happiness for today 
redface.gif

Ali

May 27, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #5,126 of 25,523
SR307 = Gamma Pro < Lamda Sig < HE60 < 009 = Sigma Pro ~= 007mk2  < 007mk1 

May 27, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #5,127 of 25,523
  This thread is sleeping. Let's go for some SR-X/mk3 pro love :

Got rid of a small dust on the mylar within the left driver (there initially was some slight buzzing sometimes when bias comes in), new pads arrived today from audiocubes and in place.
They are now what I call "mint". Maybe the coolest looking headphones I have, and great sound too.
Just my 2 cents of happiness for today 
redface.gif

This was one of the first phones for which I used sorbothane to stop mechanical resonance distortion. It turns them into something quite remarkable.  See my thread.http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-resonance-distortion-of-stax-phones-with-sorbothane-lambdas-srxiii-pro-sr003-sr007-and-finally-the-sigma

May 28, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #5,129 of 25,523
My current Stax Rating on my BHSE or KGSSHV except the normal Bias can.

1) Stax SR007 MK1 (SN701xx) Carbon Box and one of the first ever imported to EU
2) Stax SR-007 MK1 (SZ1xxx)
2) Stax SR-009
3) Stax SR-007 MK2 (SN SZ2xxx)
3) Stax SR-X MK3 pro
4) Stax 4070
4) Stax Sigma Pro
5) Stax Lambda Signature with 507 Leather Pads
6) Stax SR-003 MK2
6) Stax SR-003 MK1
6) Stax Lambda pro
6) Stax Lambda Nova Basic
7) Stax SR202
8) Stax SR-Gamma pro
8) Stax Lambda NB
9) Stax SR-303
10) Stax SR-507

May 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #5,130 of 25,523
For those I own, my ranking for all rounders :
1) SR-009
2) SR-Gamma Pro and SR-Lambda NB
3) SR-X/mk3 Pro and SR-5
4) SR-5/NB

Others are specialty heaphones to me :
- SR-007mk1 are distant / laid back. Great details, great bass, great soundstage, but music is behind a tainted glass and not as engaging as all rounders
- SR-Sigma Pro are ambient and loudness kings. Kind of mushy compared to SR-007mk1, but with more impact
- SR-Lambda Signature are crystal clear to bright, masters of air but without mercy for bad recordings. Avoid them when you have a headache

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back