The Stax Thread III
Mar 31, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #4,906 of 25,558
For those with SRM-313 or similar amps, how is the outer (smaller length) volume knob attached? The SRM-313 I recently sold did not seem to have any connection between the outer and inner volume knobs, and if tilted even slightly it would pretty much fall out. Is this normal? Is it secured some way? The volume adjustment functionality worked just fine, it's just that it had a tendency to fall out.

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #4,907 of 25,558
First impression listening to Stax... 
basshead.gif
  Why have I been wasting all this time and money on dynamics and orthos.  Two songs in and I'm already wanting a 007 or 009.  I went with the SR-507 and SRM-323S.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #4,909 of 25,558
  First impression listening to Stax... 
basshead.gif
  Why have I been wasting all this time and money on dynamics and orthos. 

Sounds like a familiar story. 

Two songs in and I'm already wanting a 007 or 009.  I went with the SR-507 and SRM-323S.

That's a great set up - live with it and enjoy. You can take your time, I have both those other ear speakers, plus a dozen others. You're in the big league, going for the summit won't get you that much further and will cost a fortune. Not discouraging you to do it eventually but spend a honeymoon with the 507. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #4,910 of 25,558
i'm leaning toward a 717 for my sr007A...while i know it won't be as amazing as a kgsshv, i want to also upgrade my source. @spritzer has a modified exstata on his site that i'm also interested in, but waiting to hear about how it compares with the 717 powering the sr007A before making a final decision...

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #4,912 of 25,558
  For those with SRM-313 or similar amps, how is the outer (smaller length) volume knob attached? The SRM-313 I recently sold did not seem to have any connection between the outer and inner volume knobs, and if tilted even slightly it would pretty much fall out. Is this normal? Is it secured some way? The volume adjustment functionality worked just fine, it's just that it had a tendency to fall out.

I cannot tell how is it attached, but mine doesn't leave its place at all (I have a rather old SRM-313 with one normal bias and one pro bias output)..

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #4,913 of 25,558
@kugino Don't worry, the 717 works well with the 007. It's a good amp. I haven't heard an Exstata, but for me it would be very simple to choose between the two: the 717 has got a lot more recommendations than the Exstata, which has received quite some criticism over the years, although surprisingly, most people raved about it in the very beginning. Still, the 717 has always been a dead cert.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #4,914 of 25,558
  The 717 is a very solid amp.

@kugino Don't worry, the 717 works well with the 007. It's a good amp. I haven't heard an Exstata, but for me it would be very simple to choose between the two: the 717 has got a lot more recommendations than the Exstata, which has received quite some criticism over the years, although surprisingly, most people raved about it in the very beginning. Still, the 717 has always been a dead cert.

that's the impression i've been getting about the 717. and someone at the other place also made the comment that the 717 would be much easier to re-sell later on if/when i want to try something else. so i'm most likely going to pick up the 717. my other choice would have been to get the kgsshv, but i think i want to spend money to upgrade my source as well, so i don't want to spend all of it on the amp. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #4,915 of 25,558

I have similar problem with the 323. The nose of the volume knob seem to be only connected to the body of the volume knob via friction of the gear. Tipping the amp forward almost always cause the nose to fall out.

The 717, SRM-1MK2 and T1 that I have don't have that problem though.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,919 of 25,558

I have similar problem with the 323. The nose of the volume knob seem to be only connected to the body of the volume knob via friction of the gear. Tipping the amp forward almost always cause the nose to fall out.

The 717, SRM-1MK2 and T1 that I have don't have that problem though.

Interesting. Do you know how old each of your amps are? I'm curious as to whether or not this is a new development, because I've had two people with older SRM313s say they haven't had the problem. Is your 323 a newer model?

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #4,920 of 25,558
Is it possible to glue the thing on? A bit of Epoxy mix glue should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back