The Stax Thread III
Jan 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #4,261 of 25,540
  Hi Fuzzy,

Rin Choi and MLudovic on HF have done great work around the ED-1 diffuse field equalization developed by Stax and IRT in the 80s. Rin Choi on his blog has analyzed the ED-1 thoroughly and MLudovic has obtained the parameters for DF EQ so that you may reproduce it in software.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675545/stax-ed-1-and-ed-5-eqs-emulation/30

Stax's policy remains not in favour of EQ.

Regards,

dripf

Stax abandomed the expensive and potentially sound degenerating EQs in favor of making a df equalized headphone, the Omega. IMHO a equalized Lamda Pro is still better then the Omega listening to binaural recordings. Obviously there is a market for the Lamda style phones so those stayed in the line up. This is only an observation but the sound signature of the Omega is obvious in its intent.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #4,262 of 25,540

Stax abandomed the expensive and potentially sound degenerating EQs in favor of making a df equalized headphone, the Omega. IMHO a equalized Lamda Pro is still better then the Omega listening to binaural recordings. Obviously there is a marked for the Lamda style phones so those stayed in the line up. This is only an observation but the sound signature of the Omega is obvious in its intent.

Is this the case? The O2 shows further distance from DF target than lambdas.

The ED-1, by the way, is still compatible with all the lambda range. The resulting response just has a slight downward slope compared to the lambda pro. I switch between using EQ and native when listening to my 307. The ED-1 notch at 10.5 kHz is too strong for my taste and I prefer -3.3 dB instead of -6.3 dB. The native sound is great to my ears except with uncontrolled electronic music and vocals which haven't been de-essed.

But that's the case with any good headphone.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #4,263 of 25,540
Is this the case? The O2 shows further distance from DF target than lambdas.

The ED-1, by the way, is still compatible with all the lambda range. The resulting response just has a slight downward slope compared to the lambda pro. I switch between using EQ and native when listening to my 307. The ED-1 notch at 10.5 KHz is too strong for my taste and I prefer -3.3 dB instead of -6.3 dB. The native sound is great to my ears except with uncontrolled electronic music and vocals which haven't been de-essed.

But that's the case with any good headphone.

My comment is based on extended listening session with most of these phones and also extended recording experience and being there at the recording locations.
Electronica? How was this recorded? Seems to be hard to have a binaural electronica session, would you elaborate on that. This is very much about how was recorded as well and my comments in this case are based on binaural recording techniques which are generally diffuse field and proper frequency response would help to overcome the limitations of recording and playback technologies combined and trying to make the psychoacoustic switch between a recording and being there. In this regard extended listening has shown that the ED-1/Lamba Pro combination came closer then anything else in their ability to recreate the sound field in a believable way. Obviously there was a reason for creating a Signature version of the ED as the Lamda Signature was quite different. Not to mention the Lamdas that followed.

Are you using the previously published equalization curves rather then an actual ED-1 and modify these as per your post? That would mean they are not compatible??

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #4,265 of 25,540
Rin Choi 's blog investigates the pro, signature and 207 models combined with ED-1, so please take a look. The signature EQ is not a diffuse field equalization.  I've reduced the 10k notch and introduced a low Q bass boost but at this moment I am using the native because of JACK issues. ED-1 is not exclusively for binaural applications. with respect to electronic stuff, I am talking about simple stereo works.  No matter how creative the work is, there always seems to be a careless treble ski jump. 

I am referring to measurements of the O2. Most thoughts broadly agree with the graphs. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,266 of 25,540
Hey guys, gonna ask a newbie question.

What is the absolute best amp for the SR009, listening preferences being as broad as rock/ pop/ jazz/ classical/ hifi reference material? I prefer in the following order: naturalness, accurate tone and timber, body and midrange weight, resolution and imaging. It has to do all of that without sacrificing the ridiculous transients and speed of the 009 as well.

I will be using the MSB Analog, waiting for the Schiit Yggy.

I'm in the line for the BHSE, but I wonder how it compares with say the DIY T2, KGSSHV and KGST. Thoughts appreciated!

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #4,267 of 25,540
009 With KGSSHV are a nice pairing with all the power 009 Need, but it Can be somewhat bright in the top.

So maybe BHSE or KGST would be better match, i haven't tried does two but Spritzer recommend them for 009.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #4,268 of 25,540
I preferred the 009 out of the KGST over the BHSE for longer listening sessions

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #4,269 of 25,540
  Rin Choi 's blog investigates the pro, signature and 207 models combined with ED-1, so please take a look. The signature EQ is not a diffuse field equalization.  I've reduced the 10k notch and introduced a low Q bass boost but at this moment I am using the native because of JACK issues. ED-1 is not exclusively for binaural applications. with respect to electronic stuff, I am talking about simple stereo works.  No matter how creative the work is, there always seems to be a careless treble ski jump. 

I am referring to measurements of the O2. Most thoughts broadly agree with the graphs. 

I read his blog, in fact I printed it out and added it to my files. Having said that I don't agree with you. I was there, in those days, in Germany, directly involved in the listening (and recording ) part of this journey. Its not about close but it is about spot on (one of my Lamda Pro's is brand new and in a safe for a reason). That is not the case with the other models of the Lambda. Stax has also stated what the objective of the Omega was but unfortunately I can not produce the proof right now but neither can you. The Rin Choi blog is far from proof.

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,270 of 25,540
So I've read about how some of you recommend ordering Stax gear from pricejapan.com. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does using a Japanese Stax amp with a voltage converter have any sonic disadvantages compared to a USA model?
2. If servicing is needed (warranty or not) can Stax USA fix an amp or does it have to go back to Japan?
3. I'm assuming the price quoted from pricejapan.com does not include import duties when shipping to the US. What will I pay for duties on an SRM-323?

I'm considering buying an SRM-323 to use with Koss ESP-950s sometime this summer. I know I'll also need to make a Koss-Stax adapter cable.

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #4,271 of 25,540
I am sure that dropping down the line voltage to an acceptable level for Stax amps will not hurt sound quality.

They generally don't charge duty but you are legally required to and sometimes they will pull your package out and you will have to pay. That has happoened to me a few times over then year. Would I buy from Japan again. Yes.

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4,272 of 25,540
  I am sure that dropping down the line voltage to an acceptable level for Stax amps will not hurt sound quality.

They generally don't charge duty but you are legally required to and sometimes they will pull your package out and you will have to pay. That has happoened to me a few times over then year. Would I buy from Japan again. Yes.

Also, I got several Stax units from Japan years ago and they were all international with switchable voltage. Has this changed?

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #4,273 of 25,540
Diffuse Field Equalizers for Stax

ED-1 Monitor
ED-1 Signature
SRM-1 Monitor

And the Pawel HP-1
Can be set for all stax Modells
Omega, 007, 009

Regards Georg
PS: I use the SRM Monitor Maiblumenweg with my Sigma!!!

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4,274 of 25,540
  So I've read about how some of you recommend ordering Stax gear from pricejapan.com. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does using a Japanese Stax amp with a voltage converter have any sonic disadvantages compared to a USA model?
2. If servicing is needed (warranty or not) can Stax USA fix an amp or does it have to go back to Japan?
3. I'm assuming the price quoted from pricejapan.com does not include import duties when shipping to the US. What will I pay for duties on an SRM-323?

I'm considering buying an SRM-323 to use with Koss ESP-950s sometime this summer. I know I'll also need to make a Koss-Stax adapter cable.

Thanks!

don't use the jp version out of a us socket without a conversion transformer

stax usa is not good for repairs, don't send them anything without asking for a breakdown of the estimated costs first

pricejapan price is inclusive, save for any overhead such as wire transfer fees, paypal etc.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #4,275 of 25,540
I do not recommend the Stax style plug sold by Moon Audio.  It's a POC.  To their credit, they are allowing me to return it.  

Fortunately, I was kindly offered a better alternative for purchase which I used to make my adapter from the Koss extension cable.  Just waiting on my KGST to show up next month to help raise the ESP's to a new level.

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back