The Stax Thread III
Oct 17, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #3,436 of 25,535
Yes, the 727 is better than any transformer solution.

Not always !

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681814/amplifiers-shootout-for-stax-009-eddie-current-electra-audiovalve-rkv-wooaudio-wee-stax-srm727-srm007t2

Some solutions marketed (with better transformers than the Wee) even exceed in performance and sound quality the amplifier Stax SRM 727 (do your research with pikatron transformers).

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,437 of 25,535
Yes Eric we are well aware of your shootout , but you have a minority opinion here. And I know another influential headfier in Germany who prefers his Accuphase/Lundahl even to the 717.

But most of us don't think the coloration of a transformer to be desirible with a 007. Maybe it helps those who want to tame the bright 009.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727630/audiovalve-rkv-ii-otl-amp-2014-version-audiovalve-box-adapter-verto-for-stax-headphone-and-for-low-impedance-orthodynamic-eletrodynamic-headphone/15

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #3,438 of 25,535
Yes Eric we are well aware of your shootout , but you have a minority opinion here. And I know another influential headfier in Germany who prefers his Accuphase/Lundahl even to the 717.

But most of us don't think the coloration of a transformer to be desirible with a 007. Maybe it helps those who want to tame the bright 009.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727630/audiovalve-rkv-ii-otl-amp-2014-version-audiovalve-box-adapter-verto-for-stax-headphone-and-for-low-impedance-orthodynamic-eletrodynamic-headphone/15

OK for the 009, but the combination SRM 727 + SR 007 is not optimal (bass poorly controlled)

Eric

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3,439 of 25,535
OK for the 009, but the combination SRM 727 + SR 007 is not optimal (bass poorly controlled)

Eric

i agree so far that the 717 and aftermarket amps are much better in this regard.

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #3,440 of 25,535
Does anyone know the difference between these SRM-T1? Which one is the older and which sounds better?

This one seems to have two power transformer and it's an SRM-T1,

This one seems to have only one and this is another SRM-T1

The SRM-T1S seems to have the same circuit to this latter. Is that mean the first one is the older version? Also does the SRM-T1S better sounding than the older version?

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #3,441 of 25,535
  Does anyone know the difference between these SRM-T1? Which one is the older and which sounds better?

This one seems to have two power transformer and it's an SRM-T1,

This one seems to have only one and this is another SRM-T1

The SRM-T1S seems to have the same circuit to this latter. Is that mean the first one is the older version? Also does the SRM-T1S better sounding than the older version?

First picture is the older version of SRM-T1 with a separate transformer for the heat voltage of the tubes. SRM-T1 and SRM-T1S has in my ears the same sound quality, but the SRM-T1S has also balanced inputs.

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #3,442 of 25,535
Hi guys. I was planning to build a KGST, so I bought 2 sets of boards, 2 matched quads of 6S4a, a teflon Stax socket from Justin, and an SR-40 for testing. However, I'm selling off my Stax setup, so I won't be needing these anymore. I've posted the pieces in the FS forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738904/fs-parts-for-kgst-electrostatic-amp-pcb-tubes-socket-sr-40

I really don't normally broadcast that I'm selling stuff, but I figure the only people that would like to build a KGST are here, and that if I don't say anything the pieces might get lost in the forum.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #3,443 of 25,535
Thanks for one set of your KGST PCBs, mangler. :) I needed a spare set for a future build.

From the short listen to my own KGST it is an awesome electrostatic headphone amp. Highly recommended and fairly easy to DIY.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #3,447 of 25,535
So I need a bit of help regarding buying Stax gear. My situation is this -- I"m an HE-6 owner and while I love the HE-6 for their technical abilities, there's something missing -- they don't give me the sense of closeness and involvement in the music that my HD650s do due to their more dry monitor ish presentation. I've been told that Stax cans could give me a nice compromise of an organic, involving sound and high amounts of clarity. So that brings me to my question - what do I need to buy and can I get it under $1k? I've been told to look at the SR-407 model as well as the vintage Lambdas (there seems to be a pro and normal model - what's the difference between those?). Also what do I need to amplify these things? I noticed the SRM-323S, SRD-7 (I do have a 25 wpc speaker amp to use it with), SRM-1/MK-2, and Woo Wee come up a lot - what's the difference in sound between these?

Thanks for the help - there's just a lot to sort out with the stax line

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #3,448 of 25,535
Go get an SRS-2170 system on pricejapan 
smile_phones.gif

Ali

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #3,450 of 25,535
If you want to stay under 1k, you can forget about the SR-007 or SR-009, and only pick on of the Lambda models.

'Pro' (580V) or 'Normal' (230V) refers to the bias voltage of the membrane. The amp must supply this voltage, along with the (balanced) music signal for the earspeakers to work, hence three wires per channel: two for balanced audio, one for bias. This is just like on a condenser microphone, which is a reverse electrostatic speaker. Read up on how electrostats work if this doesn't make any sense to you. Either way, for the last twenty years or so, Stax has only used Pro bias, meaning that you only need an amp with Normal bias if you buy very old vintage Stax. In all other cases you need a Pro bias amp or transformer box. Pro bias uses a five-pin connector, with a combined bias pin for both channels, and Normal bias uses the older six-pin connector. Note that you can plug in a Pro bias earspeaker in a Normal bias socket, which works but isn't optimal, but not the other way around, as that could damage the earspeaker.

I cannot comment on the differences between amplifiers and transformer boxes, as I haven't ever used the latter. Amps are much more popular. Make of this what you want.

If the sound of a SR-202 is any indication of the SR-207, then I say follow Ali-Pacha's advice and get a SRS-2170 system via pricejapan, or locally if warranty is important to you. It's incredibly good for the money, and can possibly make you never want to use dynamic headphones again. Remember that when importing from Japan via pricejapan, you need to replace the adapter of the amp to suit the voltage in your country. This is easy, but pay attention to the polarity of the plug. For more information, search the forums, since this has been explained many times.
If you want to go second-hand, the older SRS-2050 system which includes the SR-202 is very good. I haven't heard the SR-207, but own the SR-202 (for many years now) and have used it with multiple Stax amps, including the (bundled) SRM-252 amp. The amp is plenty good for the easy to drive SR-202 or other Lambda's. Stax tube amps are also a very good match, from memory a bit better than my SRM-717 to be honest.

What does the SR-202 sound like? A very spacious, open and dynamic sound, quite neutral, but with a slight punchiness in the lower bass, and a slight emphasis in the midrange around 2 kHz. The highs are incredibly precise and detailed, yet smooth and not overblown but (for me) in perfect balance with the rest. I am generally very sensitive to harshness in the upper midrange or highs and do not find the SR-202 harsh or too bright, but just right. For example a HD800 is quickly fatiguing for me. Downsides are a bit of a diffuse soundstage (like all Lambda's: wide but diffuse) and the mentioned emphasis around 2 kHz. Strong points are their overall tonal balance and effortless, clear, highly detailed sound without distortion anywhere. I hope and read that the SR-207 is similar, but unfortunately I haven't heard it (yet).

The 407 and 507 have a good reputation as well, but supposedly have a more U-shaped tonal balance. I have a SR-507 incoming, so can hopefully find out very soon. Don't know about the SR-307. Some say it's equal to the higher models, others say it's not.
If you ask me, Stax should stop making it. Then they have the cheap 207, a medium 407 and a top 507.

Conclusion: the SR-202 and/or SR-207 make a perfect entry into the Stax world and have an outstanding price/performance ratio. For these, the cheap SRM-252 amp or older variants are very capable; Stax tube amps recommended as possible upgrade.

Let us know what you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back