The Stax Thread III
Oct 11, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #3,407 of 25,535
As far as servicing Stax electrostatic speakers, there is at least one company out there who offers service on them -  Electrostatic Solutions.  See =>  http://www.estatsolution.com/

I don't know anything about them, except that a web search turned up their name for repairing Stax ESL's.  

In addition, I imagine that folks who offer service for Quad speakers might also be able to fix problems with the Stax panels, the bias supplies, etc.

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #3,408 of 25,535

And here is an interior photo of the DAC 4.1 (kit) taken off the ANK Audiokits website.

Here is my DAC 4.1 kit (back case back front)

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3,412 of 25,535
You got a budget? If so, I would recommend going for a DIY KGSShv rather than sink money on the Cavalli amp IMO. You will get better SQ for the buck for sure.
On upgrading your Stax amp, it may be worthwhile if money is tight. Though having heard my old Lambda Nova Signatures, and the 507, plus the 009s on a 007t and my 717 Stax amp, I left the idea of using Stax amps behind. The extra jump in SQ is not subtle, even on the Lambdas.

IMO it shows 2 things.

1. The Stax amps are not so hot
2. The headphones have unrealised potential i.e. can scale when partnered with a better amp.

Hope this helps.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #3,413 of 25,535
  @Jonathan66100 : I'm into the KGST project. It is based on SRM007 with higher part ! I can send you more information if you want :wink:

The 6s4A output tube, the fet current source, and the higher and regulated voltages make a substantial difference.

And coming VERY soon a much easier to build T2 in a standard chassis
(that said, its still a massive amount of work)

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,414 of 25,535
  You got a budget? If so, I would recommend going for a DIY KGSShv rather than sink money on the Cavalli amp IMO. You will get better SQ for the buck for sure.
On upgrading your Stax amp, it may be worthwhile if money is tight. Though having heard my old Lambda Nova Signatures, and the 507, plus the 009s on a 007t and my 717 Stax amp, I left the idea of using Stax amps behind. The extra jump in SQ is not subtle, even on the Lambdas.

IMO it shows 2 things.

1. The Stax amps are not so hot
2. The headphones have unrealised potential i.e. can scale when partnered with a better amp.

Hope this helps.

It's good to know that the KGSS is good for the Lambda models. I was torn between solid-state and tubes, but I now have a better idea of how my upgrade path will look. I'll recap my SRM-1 Mk1 with similar rated ones, and then look at the KGSS-HV. Thanks.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #3,415 of 25,535
I find the hate on the Stax amps interesting. Several times I have heard that Stax (apparently) aren't making much money on the amps they sell, which'd lead me to think that they should be good bang for the buck, at least compared to many other non-DIY boutigue offerings.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #3,417 of 25,535
I have mates who have the LL1 and it is not so hot compared to the BHSE or my KGSShv. The LL2 is I am told, very similar, even identical as regards circuit and parts count. Unless anyone can chip in here, I would say the LL2 is not as good as an off-board KGSShv.

I would ask around, and PM 'you know who' over at the other place who has dissected an LL1 and found some horror stories inside. It is obvious the PCB is thin and soldered badly, that is obvious to a none engineer.

The problem I think is folk can't get to hear the KGSShv or KGST without going to the big meets. The LL is easier to demo or buy off the shelf. I thought about an LL before I got to do more research and talk to owners who have one.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #3,418 of 25,535
  I have mates who have the LL1 and it is not so hot compared to the BHSE or my KGSShv. The LL2 is I am told, very similar, even identical as regards circuit and parts count. Unless anyone can chip in here, I would say the LL2 is not as good as an off-board KGSShv.

I would ask around, and PM 'you know who' over at the other place who has dissected an LL1 and found some horror stories inside. It is obvious the PCB is thin and soldered badly, that is obvious to a none engineer.

The problem I think is folk can't get to hear the KGSShv or KGST without going to the big meets. The LL is easier to demo or buy off the shelf. I thought about an LL before I got to do more research and talk to owners who have one.

Actually the LL2 is a good step up from the LL1 (which I wasn't a big fan of), but the LL2 has certainly stepped it up. With the SR-007s, I still prefer the KSSSHV (mine is the 1968SA offboard up'd to 10mA), but with the SR-009s, it's a tight race to my ears really and it would depend on preferences or music listened to.

The improvements are more than just sonic, it finally now has balanced loop outputs and the all black casework is top shelf.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #3,419 of 25,535
I see. Is the PCB design and parts count any different from the LL1? I read Alex said it was basically the same, case only and cosmetics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back