The Stax Thread III
Sep 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #3,376 of 25,542
Plus that on the KGSShv.

JJ Cale, Sad loss indeed. You know he wrote many of the songs that Eric Clapton then made 'his own' and made
lots of money of course. JJ was a shy bloke who didn't like the stage much, but wrote many great songs and could 
play a mean guitar.

I think for me the KGSShv and 009s does it all. I like the BHSE for it's vocals and transparency, but alas I am falling out of
love with tubes. I still have a tubed DAC which has small long life tubes, but the days of Power amps with tubes for me is over.

The KGSShv gets real close to the BHSE and possibly surpasses it in bass and dynamics, but I dig the hassle free aspect of it.
The amp does get warm, but not much, nothing like my Plnius Class A 125 watt, I can fry an egg on that!

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,377 of 25,542

Came back from Alaska Sunday and look what I found, some vintage transformer that looks like a tank. Got it for 20 bucks.

headphone stand from aliexpress somehow sent from Netherland. 32 bucks. Very high quality, smooth no smell.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #3,378 of 25,542
  Plus that on the KGSShv.

JJ Cale, Sad loss indeed. You know he wrote many of the songs that Eric Clapton then made 'his own' and made
lots of money of course. JJ was a shy bloke who didn't like the stage much, but wrote many great songs and could 
play a mean guitar.

The KGSShv gets real close to the BHSE and possibly surpasses it in bass and dynamics, but I dig the hassle free aspect of it.
The amp does get warm, but not much, nothing like my Plnius Class A 125 watt, I can fry an egg on that!

I was just getting into JJ and he's gone...I bought the album that Clapton put out in remembrance of JJ...its outstanding. Back on the thread, I am glad that the people who have listened to the BHSE concur generally that the KGSShv is pretty close. I can stop chasing the former. The amazing thing with the latter is the amount of headroom I still have when I crank it up to my levels of loudness.... I cannot go past 10 on the dial...And as you crank it up, the 009 becomes more transparent and ethereal...

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #3,379 of 25,542
Headroom on the volume pot means practically nothing wrt sound quality. Just saying.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3,380 of 25,542
Hi, im new here with 007mk2 and WEE woo audio
Im using many speaker amps (change it frequently - maranz, old denon, cambridge, tube amps) and using optional cables such as chord, jpslabs, wireworld, monster, etc for speaker cables
I found it change sound signature quite much when inchange the speaker cable :)

I still looking for "better amp" and a good value for my 007mk2 :)

Should i use "stax amp" or i can continue use woo audio wee with speaker amp?

Thank you :)

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #3,381 of 25,542
Headroom on the volume pot means practically nothing wrt sound quality. Just saying.

Maybe I should clarify...I have seen posts of people cranking it up to even 1 or 2 on the pot....IME, I don't listen that loud and it is unnecessary for me to go anywhere close to those levels on the KGSShv to get the refinement and detail I need...I did not want to imply anything else.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #3,382 of 25,542
It depends how much you want to spend. If budget is restricted, you may only have the Stax 727 or second hand 717 as an option.
I would avoid any other Stax amps, they will run out of stream too quickly on your 007s. I had the 007s and they worked well with my
717 amp, which by the way is the same as the 727 but without the feedback thing. You can buy a new 727 and do the mod to make it sound
as good as the 717.

After that, you would be looking at a second hand KGSS originally built by Headamp. Or a good KGSShv from Spritzer or other DIY'er that
knows what he is doing.

I have yet to hear a speaker amp that sounds as good as a KGSS or KGSShv. Besides, you would need a really good tube power amp
to then run an energiser after, which is more devices messing with the sound (and more money).

Good luck.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #3,384 of 25,542
Hi!

Quick question: is it safe disconnect or connect Stax-phones to amplifier, when the amplifier power is on?

Yes, just turn down the volume if you want to be on the safe side

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #3,385 of 25,542

Another upgrade option are the German High Amps you find more information at www.high-amp.de (best builder were Rille and the Designer himself)

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #3,386 of 25,542
Looking for a budget try at the Stax tube hybrid amps, what are the ones to look for? I see that the 006 is essentially an update of the T1, so is the former a better choice all else equal? This is with Lambda Pros.

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3,387 of 25,542
kgst seems like one of the cheaper options when considering the all-in parts cost and the simplified PSU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back