The Stax Thread III
Jul 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #2,792 of 25,535
Don't some brofessionals allege that the LNB and SNB sound better than their Pro bias counterparts?

They might do, but certainly the Sigma Normal Bias doesn't sound as good as the Sigma Pro or the Sigma/404 (the SNB is far too rolled off in the treble and boomy in the bass end). Never heard a Lambda normal bias

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #2,793 of 25,535
Jul 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #2,794 of 25,535
I really wish people would refrain from this !
evil_smiley.gif
 This is how the internet myths and legends get started. Fine so long as you say it's what you have hard from others, but out of context it gives the impression its from your own personal experience. Just one of those things I really get hung up about 
Its just like the party game where you line up a dozen people and you whisper a phrase at one end but when it gets to the end of the line its morphed into something different.
Rant over.

Yes John Buchan is quite correct when he says the SNB is rolled off in the treble as are the majority of normal bias stax.  However it does make for smooth and relaxed listening, if you are not looking for that last degree of treble sparkle. I would not call them colored though, just not as extended as we are used to these days. You need to take into account these were produced almost 40 years ago. 
I have found both the SNB/SPro quite inefficient and they do seem to need an amp with some oomph to perform their best. The SNB can have boomy bass, but if paired with a decent amp with good control this seems to be reduced greatly. I have no experience of the S404 so cant comment, but from what I remember John had a pair converted. Indeed I believe he wrote a very articulate review the Sigma's on one of the forums, perhaps here or elsewhere?

Quote:
No, just parroting what I hear
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #2,795 of 25,535
Can we attribute lack of bass control to any particular deficiencies of the amplifier (e.g. slew rate, although this is just as an example and obviously wouldn't be involved)?

Not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely curious. I hear tubby bass being a complaint against lesser amplifiers for certain earspeakers but I'm not aware of why this would be the case versus other units.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,796 of 25,535
I would say one particular deficiency IMO that leads to flabby bass is a poor power supply. I know this sounds a bit ludicrous as we are dealing with miniscule amounts of output watts compared to loudspeakers, but a decent power supply, preferably regulated does seem to make a real difference.
I would also guess how good a grip the amplifier has on the headphones too as in loudspeakers will also have a an influence. However there is a lot going on here and as they are stats not quite the same as dynamics or speaker cones! In speakers it would be damping factor on impedance that might have a bearing but there is also room related stuff going on which isn't relevant to headphones :)
Perhaps Tyll of Kevin Gilmore have some theories about this aspect bass control. 

Quote:
  Can we attribute lack of bass control to any particular deficiencies of the amplifier (e.g. slew rate, although this is just as an example and obviously wouldn't be involved)?

Not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely curious. I hear tubby bass being a complaint against lesser amplifiers for certain earspeakers but I'm not aware of why this would be the case versus other units.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #2,797 of 25,535
Hi all.
'Tis funny you know. I haven't been on this site for ages but was inspired to do so while I'm sitting here listening to Led Zep II through my hodge podge of a system. Boy do these Stax Sigmas NB sound great.
Not perfect by a long shot with limited frequency ends but hey not all of us can hear 25kHz. For sheer enjoyment I choose these over My HD600 and listening fatigue is much reduced.

By the way for those who might be curious, the rest is a Garrard 401 front into a Modded Quad 44 driving the Stax via a SRD7sb and Pioneer A400 no less.

Question- Would a SRM-006T be a worthy purchase to replace the SRD7sb setup?

Hey ho, Time to Ramble on

Chris

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,798 of 25,535
Hi all:

I,ve purchased a brand new Stax 4070. I,ve been looking for minumum for a couple years ago. I thought I'd find them but never a new sealed pair. Im triying to look for the measurements ( FR graph etc) but I can not see them.

Could someone help me with 4070 measurements, posting images or links pls?

Thank you

Cheers

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #2,804 of 25,535
Listening time in my case

60% Sigma with ED1 Signature und T1
25% Lambda Pro with SRM-Monitor
15% 007 Mk2 with Pawel HP-1 different amps

Regards Georg

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,805 of 25,535
Hi guys,
I noticed there is a buzz when I turn volume up past 5.5 mark in my SRM-T1. At 10 it's quite noticeable. Is it normal?
Also, I noticed distortion at really loud volumes sometimes. For example in one of my test songs @ 00:41 onwards ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8WY03aUsHc ). Not sure if it's the headphone's problem or the amp's. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back