The Stax Thread III
May 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2,341 of 25,558
Many who venture into Stax never go back
smily_headphones1.gif
I sold my dynamic rig after getting the O2

Dat's right!  Once you go Stax you never go bax!  
L3000.gif
  I'm rocking my Lambda pros like it has never been rocked before.  
eek.gif

Except my Orthos, I go bax to my orthos at times.  You should consider testing out the Orthos waters.  It will make you fall in deep.  
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,342 of 25,558
Mike, are you saying that the 009 sounded better with the 007a, or your Justin modded 727? The reason I ask, is also have a Justin modded 727 (with Omega 2.5s)...and was wondering if the jump to the 009 is significant with the 727...since it may be a while before a Blue Hawaii finds its way here.

All I know is that at the Woo audio demo a year or 2 ago he had an SR007 and and SR009 for a direct, real-time A/B comparison. I first tried the SR007 and thought to myself, "these are pretty nice, but I kind of like my HD800s and Audezes better."
Then I switched over to the SR009s and said, OMG, I've never heard anything like this from a phone-- so genuine, so startling, I've got to get these. Now I own them.

If you have a BHSE, you really owe it to yourself to try (meaning buy) an 009 for it (though I never heard this combo, I would still do it on faith if I had such an amp).
I'd trust Tyll and Peter here.

May 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #2,343 of 25,558
  Dat's right!  Once you go Stax you never go bax!  
L3000.gif
  I'm rocking my Lambda pros like it has never been rocked before.  
eek.gif

Except my Orthos, I go bax to my orthos at times.  You should consider testing out the Orthos waters.  It will make you fall in deep.  
biggrin.gif

I've had orthos too :) The only one to my taste was the HE6 and while it was very nice I'll still take my O2. The only upgrade I can do is getting a KGSSHV amp since I'm not a fan of tubes. The SR009 doesn't sit right with me for some reason so that's nothing something under consideration for me. 

May 12, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2,345 of 25,558
Many who venture into Stax never go back
smily_headphones1.gif
I sold my dynamic rig after getting the O2

Similarly, I sold my HD 800 just recently. It just wasn't getting much listening, almost none at all, after getting the 009s paired with a good amp and setup. I could possibly see a point in the future though where I'm thinking about the Orpheus or Abyss, or maybe even great speakers eventually, but for now I'm quite content with the 009s 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #2,346 of 25,558
The 009 certainly improves in some areas over the 007 like extended frequency extremes and soundstage. Its really difficult to describe verbally how the 007Mk1 compares to 009. Some say its a dark sounding headphone, personally I wouldn't describe it that way. Its more that it doesn't draw attention to itself with exaggerated bass or lit up treble. Its a very organic, natural and integrated sound, not the immediate wow factor but the more you listen the more you realise just how great a headphone it is IMHO.

Many thanks, you post has helped me quite a bit.

It is a nice position to have both the 007s and the 009s at home. I will have to trade in my 007s so the decision to do that will need to be thought through. My demo at David's is tomorrow, so as long as I don't drive him insane! I think I should come to a decision then. I agree, the 007 is a great headphone and also not a WOW as soon as you put it on. It reminds me of how I find the Audio Note DACs, at a demo they are nice but not jumping out at you. However, after living with them, I found I was listening to a LOT more music and forgetting the gear.

Stax for me really get to the heart of the music. I know some say they are 'cold' or 'not accurate' I don't find that,. but I do think they need smooth and possibly warm up stream gear to sing.
I call it system synergy for a better description, get is right and you are in heaven.

Don't you just love this hobby?

May 13, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #2,347 of 25,558
  I've had orthos too :) The only one to my taste was the HE6 and while it was very nice I'll still take my O2. The only upgrade I can do is getting a KGSSHV amp since I'm not a fan of tubes. The SR009 doesn't sit right with me for some reason so that's nothing something under consideration for me. 

I am still torn between my Audez'e LCDs and the 007mk1. To make peace with myself, I use the orthos in the office (tube amps) and the 007 mk1 (with the KGSShv) at home. Who says you can't have your cake etc etc 
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #2,348 of 25,558
When I first had my Audeze I was smitten with tem too and thought they compared to the 007Mk1 BUT after living with them for at least a year I realize the Stax are head and shoulders above them. For me the Audeze have a number of issues some of which are not immediately obvious.
They are heavy and uncomfortable to wear over a long period.
The soundstage is quite poor in comparison and there is not the layering within it like the 007MK1
The top end misses a lot of detail and is rolled off
They are not consistent, as after sampling several they were all slightly different from one to the other
The jury is still out regarding reliability

All in all I have fallen out of love with Audeze 
frown.gif

Quote:
  I am still torn between my Audez'e LCDs and the 007mk1. To make peace with myself, I use the orthos in the office (tube amps) and the 007 mk1 (with the KGSShv) at home. Who says you can't have your cake etc etc 
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #2,349 of 25,558
  Lornecherry,

IMHO,the 009 is a better headphone  than the 007a,with my current amp

Understand,if I had to live with the 007a & the modded 727-it would not be the end of the world..The 009 is just an incredible headphone,probably the finest I've ever listened to.

Many people have suggested, if I do anymore upgrades,I might wan to consider the Blue Hawaii..but that is another major purchase,and my wife has suggested to me,that,any other major purchases of audio gear,might end in the removal of certain body parts,of mine---if you know what I mean???

I just sold the 007a,and will order the 009 within a few days,and see where this takes me...hopefully I will be end game..LOL.
I.m always trying to make myself believe that...

Mike

Mike,
Has your wife been making transatlantic calls to my wife? I mentioned making changes to my turntable and my wife referred to body parts, specifically 'a hiking boot to the family jewels'. Perhaps its a worldwide conspiracy to stop us buying new Stax stuff. It's even got Zolkis making his own earpads.LOL.

May 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,350 of 25,558
I could not live with the upsampling DAC's either because of the digititus. The problem with stats is that they are so transparent and revealing of all the up stream gear so poor recording or a highly lit up DAC will be immediately noticeable. Personally I went through a number of DAC's and ended up with a NOS DAC too for use with the 007MK1. The upsampling/oversampling versions I tried just sounded mechanical and artificial. I think if you are prepared to spend huge sums on an upsampler then they can be very good but I would find it very difficult to justify the cost of upwards of $30,000! Finally I tried both the Audio Note and Metrum and settled for the latter. I would love to have the opportunity to try the TotalDAC and the MSB Platinum as both of these are ladder DAC's.
I could not live with the upsampling DAC's either because of the digititus. The problem with stats is that they are so transparent and revealing of all the up stream gear so poor recording or a highly lit up DAC will be immediately noticeable. Personally I went through a number of DAC's and ended up with a NOS DAC too for use with the 007MK1. The upsampling/oversampling versions I tried just sounded mechanical and artificial. I think if you are prepared to spend huge sums on an upsampler then they can be very good but I would find it very difficult to justify the cost of upwards of $30,000! Finally I tried both the Audio Note and Metrum and settled for the latter. I would love to have the opportunity to try the TotalDAC and the MSB Platinum as both of these are ladder DAC's.

Agree completely.  

While DAC hunting this past year, I had the opportunity to hear many of the current crop of DAC and found that the R2R were in a totally different league, particularly with the 009/bhse.  Gobs of details without etch or bleeding ears.  I ended up with the TotalDAC but also liked the MSB stack (but couldn't afford it anyway).  I never got to do a direct A/B with the two, but could easily live with either :wink:.  Other top DACS, which sounded good until compared with the R2R dacs, included Ayre QB-9(new and old), Bricasti, Wadia 27ix (my old DAC), Viola, Berkely alpha, all very  nice DACS but not ones that could withstand the microscopic scrutiny of the stax 009.

May 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #2,351 of 25,558
Sorry to interrupt the conversation. I have a question in regard to older Stax headphone extention cables. I have a Stax headphone extention cable that is gray in color. The female prong has got six holes in it and the male prong has got five prongs in it.  What is the purpose of this type of cable?  Which type of Stax headphone could I use with it? Pro or Non Pro? Any information is welcome.  Thanks.

May 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #2,352 of 25,558
  Sorry to interrupt the conversation. I have a question in regard to older Stax headphone extention cables. I have a Stax headphone extention cable that is gray in color. The female prong has got six holes in it and the male prong has got five prongs in it.  What is the purpose of this type of cable?  Which type of Stax headphone could I use with it? Pro or Non Pro? Any information is welcome.  Thanks.

Both pro and non-pros can be used with this cable, but you must be aware not using non-pro earspeakers out of pro bias amps!

May 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #2,353 of 25,558
Thanks for finding the answer for me. I really do appreciate it.  

May 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #2,354 of 25,558

Mike,
Has your wife been making transatlantic calls to my wife? I mentioned making changes to my turntable and my wife referred to body parts, specifically 'a hiking boot to the family jewels'. Perhaps its a worldwide conspiracy to stop us buying new Stax stuff. It's even got Zolkis making his own earpads.LOL.

LOL

I've heard rumors they're going to start their own UNION!!!!
Lets just hope no Japanese women join-then,we're really.....well you know.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back