The Stax Thread III
Feb 11, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #1,531 of 25,660
Picked up some lambda pros for cheap on ebay a couple weeks ago. Very enjoyable. Pretty buzzed at the moment, but right now id say im liking them more than the hd800's i just had on:)

U know the bells hopslam and troegs nuggest nectar finally got shipped to dc:) good beers and stax work well together.

Love the hopslam! I'll have to pair it with my stax if it makes it down here to Tampa :)

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,533 of 25,660
2A3+HD800 > 717+SR-009?

Oh, what heresy!

deadhorse.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,535 of 25,660

I take it you have been part of the mafia for a while now 
smile.gif

Considering the witness protection plan? 
tongue.gif

Let me know when you get your new amp...would be fun to compare to the GS-X Mk2 and my Stax rig. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,537 of 25,660
Feb 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #1,538 of 25,660
  Just noted that the pro bias of my srm-t1 is 366 volts and the normal bias is 176 volts. Any thoughts?

Here the multi-meter is by the way: http://www.extech.com/instruments/resources/datasheets/MN25_MN26.pdf

DC offset is 2v and 8.5v, measured between the channels. 1.1v and 8v between + and ground. Should I adjust the offset?

You can't directly measure the bias because there is a large series resistance with it, and that acts as a divider with the resistance in the meter. You need a high impedance meter (ideally an electrostatic volt meter), or knowing both the impedance in the amplifier as well as in the meter and doing the math.

As for the offset, I personally wouldn't care about numbers that low. You certainly could adjust it, though.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #1,539 of 25,660

You can't directly measure the bias because there is a large series resistance with it, and that acts as a divider with the resistance in the meter. You need a high impedance meter (ideally an electrostatic volt meter), or knowing both the impedance in the amplifier as well as in the meter and doing the math.

As for the offset, I personally wouldn't care about numbers that low. You certainly could adjust it, though.

Yeah, that makes good sense. Thank you very much. Some time I'll measure the caps too, just to check whether they need replacement. I suppose a measurement of the resistance and capacitance would do? And what numbers should I expect when doing the measurements? Anything else I should measure too?

I don't hope I am too demanding 
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #1,540 of 25,660
  Yeah, that makes good sense. Thank you very much. Some time I'll measure the caps too, just to check whether they need replacement. I suppose a measurement of the resistance and capacitance would do? And what numbers should I expect when doing the measurements? Anything else I should measure too?

I don't hope I am too demanding 
wink.gif

You only need the resistance to measure the voltage. The capacitance can be assumed high enough to not be an issue with the load of the volt meter.

Measuring the capacitors would simply tell you if they're going bad, which might be a good test if you're at all wondering. You might have to take the capacitors out of circuit to measure them, though.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #1,541 of 25,660

You only need the resistance to measure the voltage. The capacitance can be assumed high enough to not be an issue with the load of the volt meter.

Measuring the capacitors would simply tell you if they're going bad, which might be a good test if you're at all wondering. You might have to take the capacitors out of circuit to measure them, though.

Ohh well, you know most people say that a recap is a good idea for such an old unit. Reason for measuring resistance is of course to see if they bleed DC, capacitance of course to know whether they are within spec.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #1,542 of 25,660
Hey guys, I've got a sr-202, and its cable seems to be going.
Sound distorts when I move the cable around.
I was wondering if I could use the cable from an sr-x mk2 as a replacement, and how hard it would be to perform the replacement.
Thanks!
I have a solder station, although not much experiance using it.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #1,543 of 25,660
  Hey guys, I've got a sr-202, and its cable seems to be going.
Sound distorts when I move the cable around.
I was wondering if I could use the cable from an sr-x mk2 as a replacement, and how hard it would be to perform the replacement.
Thanks!
I have a solder station, although not much experiance using it.

Not worth it, just spend $80 on a replacement cable which is a direct solder in, no need to modify a normal bias round cable to run fit for pro-bias.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #1,544 of 25,660
Just received a pair of 007 mk1's.  I am preferring them to the mk2's.  I'd agree with the impressions I've seen on forums regarding both models.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #1,545 of 25,660
  Just received a pair of 007 mk1's.  I am preferring them to the mk2's.  I'd agree with the impressions I've seen on forums regarding both models.

They just are more "balanced" than the MK2s. The bass goes deeper and is better controlled and they're a bit more coherent overall. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back