The Stax Thread III
Dec 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,231 of 25,560
I can only speak for the dCS gear and say that IMHO the glowing reviews are warranted and that the two most recent source upgrades I've done have had far more impact than I ever anticipated.  

It has changed my opinion on the importance of a good (not necessarily expensive) DAC; it's more important than I used to think.

That said, you are definitely into the diminishing returns world here, where significant increases in price are only giving subtle, but very real, improvements.  Can it be worth it?  Absolutely.  Can you get damn close for a fraction of the price,? Yep.  It gets back to your personal financial situation and just how keen you are to make sure you're getting every last bit out of your system.  There is no right answer of course...

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,233 of 25,560
I only have the Debussy.  I just got it set up before the holidays.  My NAD M51 is sitting right next to it.  I was really hoping that I'd find little to no difference and I could just sell the dCS and go back to enjoying the NAD, but I'm not sure that's going to be possible now...

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,234 of 25,560
^ sell me your M51 thanks <3

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #1,235 of 25,560
Sell off your amp and dynamic headphones and invest in a better amp for the O2's. Upgrading DAC's ain't going to give a huge diffetence.

I meant selling off the rig I had my for dynamic rig. I did end up selling my HD800 but still have the DAC I had for my HD800. I use my Buffalo for just the O2. I do realize my amp isn't the best but I feel it's good enough for now. I can't DIY so it's basically buying from the FS and the price for an amp I would want would cost 2-3x what I paid for my SRM717 at the very minimum and I'd rather not pay for that much diminishing returns right now. I was just seeing if there's any other headphones worth getting other than the SR009.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #1,236 of 25,560
There are many options in the lambda series to try, both new and old. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,238 of 25,560
I have a pair of Lambda Signatures. They've worked perfectly since I got them.  I replaced the earpads and the headband. They are from 1987 or so, working very well after about 25 years.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #1,239 of 25,560
  I've not been able to run across replacement ear pads for sale since I got my Omegas... I've almost all but given up on finding them.  My current pads feel nice, but I know time will get to them eventually.  When that time comes I'll likely have something custom built to replace them.  

Use a little leather conditioner sparingly on them from time to time, maybe 2~3 times a year.  Lexol is one of the better leather conditioners.  This will help keep them from cracking.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,242 of 25,560
I had a STAX itch a few days before 2014 that had to be scratched! Previously, I have only heard the 009 for 15 minutes in October at the Fujiya Headphone Festival.

Anyway to cut the story short.

Today...........

I am the proud owner of a pair of 009 which arrived yesterday

a pair of the 007 mk1 received today

A Cavalli LL2 due to arrive next Tuesday, and hopefully a VAW TA 8PS tube amp that was highly recommended to me!

Will have great fun in the coming weeks/months comparing the 009/LL2 Vs Abyss/LAu. 

Edit:
The 007 mk1 has new cables and new diaphragms plus 6 months warranty left
size]

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,245 of 25,560
  I had a STAX itch a few days before 2014 that had to be scratched! Previously, I have only heard the 009 for 15 minutes in October at the Fujiya Headphone Festival.

Anyway to cut the story short.

Today...........

I am the proud owner of a pair of 009 which arrived yesterday

a pair of the 007 mk1 received today

A Cavalli LL2 due to arrive next Tuesday, and hopefully a VAW TA 8PS tube amp that was highly recommended to me!

Will have great fun in the coming weeks/months comparing the 009/LL2 Vs Abyss/LAu. 

Edit:
The 007 mk1 has new cables and new diaphragms plus 6 months warranty left
size]

Nice! What DAC are you running for all that? You got hit by the Stax bug all at once 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back