The Stax Thread III
Mar 18, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #14,686 of 25,567
Just me but if I had to travel allot and wanted to take my Stax with me I would get a Mjolnir Octave v2 and some small inexpensive dac like a keces da-151mk2 before I would go for the Stax portable amp/dac offering. Made in China is a major turn off for me. Not real Stax imo. which isn't Mjolnir level.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #14,688 of 25,567
So anything newly released from Stax will be made in China, not Japan from now on?

I tend to doubt it. Remember the parent company is Edifier, based in China. Maybe they are looking at higher production numbers and lower cost for the DAC/amp.

But perhaps the Stax old guard will be retiring and this is part of a larger plan. It would be a sad day if Stax Japan fades or is not allowed the autonomy it’s had since the Edifier acquisition.

Mar 18, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #14,689 of 25,567
Just me but if I had to travel allot and wanted to take my Stax with me I would get a Mjolnir Octave v2 and some small inexpensive dac like a keces da-151mk2 before I would go for the Stax portable amp/dac offering. Made in China is a major turn off for me. Not real Stax imo. which isn't Mjolnir level.

Dude Mjolnir Octave v2 is not protable lol.

Made in china is fine. You guys are being ignorant and a little racist by being a hypocrite with chinese products (not saying you as a racist, in general when it comes to China products)

Apple is made in china ?
Many appliance and gears and equipments are from china. Its all good.

Overall, this Dac/Amp is an amazing product by staxs !

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #14,690 of 25,567

Made in china is fine. You guys are being ignorant and a little racist by being a hypocrite with chinese products (not saying you as a racist, in general when it comes to China products)

Apple is made in china ?

I'm not being ignorant, I was just asking a question which wasn't out of fear of a product being made in China. I own a Holo Spring DAC/SingXer SU-1/MBP/iPhone and probably 99% of everything else in my home is either made in China or uses parts sourced from China. Even my H-D is made from parts sourced from several different countries, not the good old U.S. of A. I have no issue with products made in China with the exception of it effecting our revenue.

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #14,691 of 25,567
STAX produts are made in Japan. Some parts may be from China, they all are assembled in Japan. This is a report of an earphone shop. http://e-earphone.blog/?p=72122 Sorry all in Japanese.
All products (including the smallest and cheapest SRS-002) are handcrafted and assembled in Saitama Prefecture in Japan. In the clean room, assembled and tested in hanger,then go to the shops.

dd9dca0804a9f6ac4925bd87ec7da85e.jpg

Building SRS-002

57332479a16defd31b0c9d1637f98b8c.jpg

Ear speaker units tested after matching pairs

e6849ca014417ae46db454f5e15f8b9f.jpg

After Assembled all units are tested in hanger

fb88c5cee6a1f355cdcc99231c55b74b.jpg

Also all the amplifiers are tested

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #14,693 of 25,567

Apple is made in china ?

The Octave v2 may not be something you take camping with you but it is def. small enough to take with you pretty easy or at least much easier than a kgsshv. Probably not much bigger than the Stax amp/dac and the dac I mentioned is pretty small as well. Take it up a notch with my ECP walnut V dac, really small dac as well, and you probably have something 007/009 worthy.

I never said anything about made in china being bad at all. Just most likely a rebadge is what I was thinking. Could be great but I'm not the biggest fan of rebadges. At least from my perspective/ experience you usually end up paying for a name with a rebadge with an OEM version coming out later for half the price. If that makes me a racist your funny.

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #14,694 of 25,567
I received an answer from STAX sales person. About STAX SRM-D10 Portable DAC Drive Amp, it is not decided if it will be made in China or in Japan at now.
About myself, it doesn't matter if it will be made in China or in Japan. But 'made in China' is not a little thing in STAX history. So it can't be answered
so easily. I will wait for the answer and release.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #14,696 of 25,567
I tend to doubt it. Remember the parent company is Edifier, based in China. Maybe they are looking at higher production numbers and lower cost for the DAC/amp.

But perhaps the Stax old guard will be retiring and this is part of a larger plan. It would be a sad day if Stax Japan fades or is not allowed the autonomy it’s had since the Edifier acquisition.

That raised a hair raising question....would 009 be the last greatest Stax headphones in history, and would be craving for 30 years from now with astronomical pricing ? Kind of like the original Omega ?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #14,698 of 25,567
That raised a hair raising question....would 009 be the last greatest Stax headphones in history, and would be craving for 30 years from now with astronomical pricing ? Kind of like the original Omega ?

Given their historical issues with solvency, something like this could still happen. No guarantee that their new Chinese overlords will always be willing to dump cash into them. Or maintain them as what they are today of if they are not getting the return they think they should.

A portable setup honestly seems like a stupid idea to me. A very small fraction of an already small market.

But if it leads then to make a new closed headphone I'll take it. Would be nice to have for gaming.

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #14,699 of 25,567
Given their historical issues with solvency, something like this could still happen. No guarantee that their new Chinese overlords will always be willing to dump cash into them. Or maintain them as what they are today of if they are not getting the return they think they should.

A portable setup honestly seems like a stupid idea to me. A very small fraction of an already small market.

But if it leads then to make a new closed headphone I'll take it. Would be nice to have for gaming.

I agree, and portable for Stax is a very crazy idea. Not sure if closed back is ideal for ES, but on my 009, even if I have my palms behind and over the drivers at 10cm away, it still affect the sound performances

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #14,700 of 25,567
for their time the 4070 was liked. I think it was developed as a monitor originally. I keep my eye on the FS to try and catch one, but haven't seen one in a long time.

My wife and I game in the same room, so hearing her on TS and in the room is distracting. I liked closed for gaming for that reason.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back