The Stax Thread III
Mar 13, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #14,611 of 25,543
Ahmedie...that is very interesting regarding the 323s & L- 700 combo.I have a new SR - L 700 and looking for an amp. Did the 323s have enough power to drive the L-700 ? (medium volume, soft music - jazz, folk). Thanks
yes, at average volume and if you are not treble sensitive then 727modded will give you better results, otherwise 323s is very good at average to higher volume. 727modded is too fatigue at higher volume. just get 323s then upgrade to KG when you feel it. 727modded was not worth as upgrade. Also stax tube amp match L700 so well !

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #14,612 of 25,543
yes, at average volume and if you are not treble sensitive then 727modded will give you better results, otherwise 323s is very good at average to higher volume. 727modded is too fatigue at higher volume. just get 323s then upgrade to KG when you feel it. 727modded was not worth as upgrade. Also stax tube amp match L700 so well !

Súper...thanks for the recommendation !

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #14,613 of 25,543
After only reading about Stax online, I finally got the chance to try their lineup briefly in person - and decided to get a combo myself!
Pre-ordered the SR-L300 Limited (~$567) and the SRM-353XBK amplifier (~$915), so definitely looking forward to seeing more reviews - as mine won't arrive until late April/early May.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #14,614 of 25,543
Did you have the chance to demo the actual 300 Limited? Impressions - especially when compared to the others in the series?

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #14,615 of 25,543
A friend recently had a L500 suffer from severe channel imbalance after a month or two, the left channel was at roughly 20% volume. It was sent to Stax HQ in Japan so some of you may find the report interesting. (or not =P)

From what I can tell they tested the headphones for 1 day > replaced both of the drivers > tested for 168 hours under high load > final check before shipping.

Mr Nakamura(Stax repairman) is very gentle and very kind person imo. he repaired my breaking wire of 009 twice for "FREE" even thay were out of warranty priod. so I just trust Stax HQ.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #14,616 of 25,543
Mr Nakamura(Stax repairman) is very gentle and very kind person imo. he repaired my breaking wire of 009 twice for "FREE" even thay were out of warranty priod. so I just trust Stax HQ.

That is what you call a heart of enthusiasm! Unlike “it is expensive , because it sound good” kind of folk

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #14,617 of 25,543
Did you have the chance to demo the actual 300 Limited? Impressions - especially when compared to the others in the series?

No, I didn't get a chance to try the either of the parts I purchased. They had a regular L300 and L500 connected to the normal 353X, an SR-009 connected to a T8000, and I believe an SR-007 connected to an 007 amp(?). They also had a Sonoma Model One among other things. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend too much time with anything there, so I don't have any meaningful impressions outside of the basic "L300 pads suck" and "the 009 is actually amazing". (I initially went to the show after hearing that the Tia Fourte was available for listening, and didn't even know that there would be Stax models there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

The person there claimed that the driver in the L300 limited is the same one used in the L700 (which I don't believe is the case?), but if it has the L500/L700 pads and sounds somewhere between the two lambda models, I'd be very happy with my purchase.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #14,618 of 25,543
Which show was this? Dealer display?

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #14,619 of 25,543
If you can hold off a few days, I will have a KGSSHV Mini, 006T, T1 and both 007mk1 and L700 at home (my plan being to sell the Stax amps and L700 - but no rush).

What I have found is that the 006T drives the L700s fine. They sound really good. Contrary to what I had read and expected, though, the 006T doesn’t struggle to drive the 007mk1 particularly, though you get the sense that neither does it enable those headphones to really shine. The two sonic signatures are quite different (007 and L700) but - to be perfectly honest - were it not for a compelling urge to get the best out of the 007s, I could easily live with the 006T:007mk1 combo. Disclaimer: I don’t listen at really high levels, and without a better amp to do A/B comparisons, it’s not so easy to pin down exactly where the 006T:007mk1 combo is deficient. Perhaps the bass could have better definition, and I am conscious that on certain tracks there’s a slight dynamic compression thing going on (but that could be source-material related). I wouldn’t like to say which I prefer - 006T:L700 or 006T:007mk1. Probably the mk1s, even without the better amp.

I’d still rate either rig considerably ahead of my previous SPL Phonitor:HD800 rig, which I really liked at the time. That setup was fun but always shone a light onto the hifi aspects of the sound, whereas the Stax rigs are all about balance and getting to the essence of the music. That’s the real magic right there. If I’m being critical again, I think the 006T:007mk1 is the more musical rig, perhaps because it is slightly smoother and less etched than is the L700, but we’re talking minor differences at the 006T level. I suspect the KGSSHV - when it arrives, hopefully today or tomorrow - will enable the 007mk1s to pull ahead and fix up those things that - conscious or not - may be pulling its performance back.

I deliberated about going ‘all in’ with a more expensive amp, but even at 006T:L700 level, the limitation is as often the source recording as it is anything about the headphone rig. Without a doubt the BHSE:whatever will be a stunningly capable rig, but I’ve decided that it’s not something I wish to explore - just in case it sets off the upgrading bug again!

I will, of course, report back once I have my new amp, as it’s a new variant on Mjolnir’s KGSSHV stable. There is a lack of direct comparisons between ordinary Stax amps and third party amps with all but the 007s and 009s, so I’ll make sure to also audition with the L700 and give my view on how it scales with the fancy amp.

Hope this helps!

I just got my 4040 system (SR404 + 006t) today and have been doing some brief listening comparisons with my 3100 system (L300 + 252S). I am quite impressed with the 006t so far. It definitely drives both Lambdas quite well. I have very limited listening time so far, but it definitely seems to smooth out the more dry and etched nature of 252S. The Stax tubes seem to behave in a similar way that matches my experience with tubes amps with dynamics. And I actually think I like 006t with L300 more than 252S just because it refines that upper mid/low treble forwardness that L300 has. I wouldn't say it is harsh with 252S to my ears, but the 006t just rounds the attack a touch which I think is why many would consider the tube amps more "musical". And with your comment I am definitely curious about 007mk1. I can see why 006t might not be the best pairing if 007mk1 is already a warmer/darker headphone, it might do better with a leaner, faster, and more powerful amp.

And for anyone else curious about the SR404, I am quite impressed. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about 404 and was sort of expecting it to be a noticeable downgrade from L300, but I am kind of leaning on the opposite side. It is warmer and not as upper mid forward as L300, sort of what HD650 is to HD600. And I tend to prefer a little warmth which is why I sold my HD600 and kept the HD650. I still plan on doing more comparisons and also further testing with my friend's L500, L700, and 353X amp.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #14,620 of 25,543
Wait, so how come 007 has gold-plated and no holes electrodes while the 009 is aluminum electrode ? What am I missing ? They advertise the 009 to be the state of the art in their technology ?

So, to answer my own question. Stax SR-009 has no Goldplated Electrodes, but using their newest developments. There is Multi Layer ElectRodes (MLER)

Quote:
New electrodes named MLER (Multi Layer ElectRodes) have also been developed to realize the plane drive of the whole film diaphragm surface. While infinite thinness and flatness are required for the fixed electrodes, they simultaneously need to have other characteristics such as low resonance, high transmissivity of sound wave, and so on. The entirely new electrodes have been completed through the unification of metal plates processed with ultra-precision photograph etching using the high technology of heat diffusion combination on the atomic level.
End quote:

*Yes, aluminum was selected for that purposes*

Now, I wonder how many layer of ElectRodes does the Shangrila, Jr., Voce has ? Or how do they work ? Perhaps another 10 years to catch up ? :D

123678D0-8817-4102-ACB2-BF754513B2AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #14,621 of 25,543
And for anyone else curious about the SR404, I am quite impressed. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about 404 and was sort of expecting it to be a noticeable downgrade from L300, but I am kind of leaning on the opposite side. It is warmer and not as upper mid forward as L300, sort of what HD650 is to HD600. And I tend to prefer a little warmth which is why I sold my HD600 and kept the HD650. I still plan on doing more comparisons and also further testing with my friend's L500, L700, and 353X amp.

i agree that the sr-404s are quite nice. i wish i had held onto mine . . .

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #14,622 of 25,543

It was the Seoul International Audio Show/Melon Mofi Show. One of the distributors there handles Stax, Sonoma, Grado, Oppo, etc. (was a bit tempted by the Oppo HA-1 they had available)

Edit: I posted this on the help & recommendations forum, but what would be the optimal way to connect my incoming L300 & 353XBK given my current equipment? That is, which of my amp/DAC combos has the best DAC section to work with?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #14,623 of 25,543
Now, I wonder how many layer of ElectRodes does the Shangrila, Jr., Voce has ? Or how do they work ? Perhaps another 10 years to catch up ? :D

I have hopes that the voce does turn out to be a good headphone even if it's colored. I really like the sound the pre 2016 lcd3f despite the delivery being anything but neutral to me. I have never purchased one because of the reliability issues. If I'd t voce bring that kind of laid back sound to the stats world I will pick one up. For when I'm in the mood to just zone out.

The hifiman headphones I have less enthusiasm for as they have attempted stats before and failed. Plus the belligerent manner in which the companies proprietor engages the community(since deleted) and questionable practices mean I probably would not give them my money either way.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #14,624 of 25,543
I have limited and L700 and L300 with me. I think limited = L700 but with different tonality, they are grainy while L700 is smoother ,and they certainly have more bass. they have copper cable and stiffer pads which many contribute to the change. Also i review them past pages. if you listen to acoustic musics (orchestra/rock/etc) L700 is much better tonality as they sound so real, while limited also do fine with acoustic and other types (eg. pop, lesser mastered music). I would say L700 have neutral bass than limited.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back