The Stax Thread III
Sep 28, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #12,993 of 25,558
Just a heads up that's kind of high for just a pair of 207's even though they're basically mint. You can get ones in slightly less fine shape with the Xh or the 252S for almost half that. Not that you won't sell it, but above $300, you'll probably be sitting on it awhile.

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #12,994 of 25,558
Just a heads up that's kind of high for just a pair of 207's even though they're basically mint. You can get ones in slightly less fine shape with the Xh or the 252S for almost half that. Not that you won't sell it, but above $300, you'll probably be sitting on it awhile.

Thanks for the heads up. But it is never used, not mint. Hopefully, someone can take this "babe".

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #12,995 of 25,558
and still some people talks about selling stax and going back to magnets..
i think they´re insane.. what kind of hidden agenda is this ??? traitors, blasphemy !

I think it depends on taste on music, quality of recording etc. which everybody have different. It is like taste on quality food somebody have better (knows origin of foodstuffs, eats quality fats, no sugar etc.) and somebody worse (bad quality of food, sugar etc.).
For example from my experiences I heard almost everything on (visits, meets) I also prefer planars becouse for my music usings it is more universal and simpler.
But you know if you not live long time with top electrostatic system and top planar system at home than you can not judge it, you need to spent long time to know it, it is best what we can do and I have never owned top electrostatic system at home so my prefer means nothing it is just actual experience.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #12,996 of 25,558
This may come as a surprise to many, starting with me actually but I've come to the reason that my home audio rig is a bit over the top for how much use I make of it. I've been tracking hours of use on all the tubes I got for the BHSE since day one so I know exactly how frequently I've been using it and it's just not living up to the amount of money I've invested.

The main issue I have with the BHSE is that, being a tube amp, it's best to leave it on for say 30 min before starting listening and it requires me to be at the desk with it sits. Truth is, only time I have these days is half an hour in bed before sleeping and I am typically catching up on French TV or watching a movie instead of listening to music.

I've thus decided to let me home rig go and downgrade to something a bit more convenient. I am not quite over with stats world and thinking to go L700 / small footprint amp next, we'll see.

I am about to put my BHSE and SR009 up for sale (and eventually the various EL34 quads I've sourced over the past few years for it), you'll see that in my signature. For the amp, I'd much rather sell it locally so it will also go up on Yahoo auctions (it's a 100V unit).

cheers,
arnaud

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #12,997 of 25,558
This may come as a surprise to many, starting with me actually but I've come to the reason that my home audio rig is a bit over the top for how much use I make of it. I've been tracking hours of use on all the tubes I got for the BHSE since day one so I know exactly how frequently I've been using it and it's just not living up to the amount of money I've invested.

The main issue I have with the BHSE is that, being a tube amp, it's best to leave it on for say 30 min before starting listening and it requires me to be at the desk with it sits. Truth is, only time I have these days is half an hour in bed before sleeping and I am typically catching up on French TV or watching a movie instead of listening to music.

I've thus decided to let me home rig go and downgrade to something a bit more convenient. I am not quite over with stats world and thinking to go L700 / small footprint amp next, we'll see.

I am about to put my BHSE and SR009 up for sale (and eventually the various EL34 quads I've sourced over the past few years for it), you'll see that in my signature. For the amp, I'd much rather sell it locally so it will also go up on Yahoo auctions (it's a 100V unit).

cheers,
arnaud
That's serious stuff you got right there. Seen the price of RK50 alone :)
Best wishes with your sale.

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #12,998 of 25,558

cheers,
arnaud

Wow, I would be really sorry if you let your main rig go. If it is a tube thing, the Carbon is as good IMO as the BHSE, different but as good. And I can leave it on all day no worries. I jump on it anytime then. I also leave my tubed DAC on 24/7 as well, but that unlike the BHSE uses small pre-amp tubes and they are cheap to buy. I must say I ordered the BHSE twice and cancelled it for the tube reasons you mention and not being able to leave it on. My desk is my workstation for my job, as well as my system, so I can use it pretty much anytime. I have speakers are well and probably use them twice as much, maybe more. But the 009 does something I like, so I can't give it up. And not for the money it would release anyway. A planar setup would probably need a good tube amp and 3-4K phones anyway, and to get a better level, maybe, more than likely maybe not. Yeah, you can power planers of more SS amps, but the cost is about the same now to get near the level you are at.

Anyway, good luck Arnaud, I hope you don't regret it later?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #12,999 of 25,558

cheers,
arnaud
Now now now... Don't make me grow a conscience. I've got a BHSE + SR009 + Totaldac idling for over 2 months now (and counting). I've moved from Belgium to Singapore but have yet to ship it over. All joking aside, wish you all the best in your future audio endeavors. You're the one who led me to this particular setup (you had exactly the same one), and this is the only setup I've considered my end game.

Sep 30, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #13,000 of 25,558
Thanks for the comments :wink:. I just took pictures of the SR-009 this morning and I am already regretting selling it, it's such a beautiful piece of gear, I haven't got bored by the looks even after 6 years or so of ownership. Now that I've heard how ot sings with proper amplification, I think it would just be torture to get back to a lesser amp with these phones so better to let it go...

Cheers,
Arnaud

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #13,002 of 25,558

L700 is a nice choice but you need a good chain (DAC+AMP) for them as well. What about keeping your 009 and change your amp? My KGSSHV Carbon drives 009, 007 and L700 beautifully.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #13,003 of 25,558

cheers,
arnaud

Have you ever considered switching to a solid state amp like a KGSSHV? You could easily run plugins which add even-order harmonics in order to simulate that tube sound.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #13,004 of 25,558
Wow, I would be really sorry if you let your main rig go. If it is a tube thing, the Carbon is as good IMO as the BHSE, different but as good. And I can leave it on all day no worries. I jump on it anytime then. I also leave my tubed DAC on 24/7 as well, but that unlike the BHSE uses small pre-amp tubes and they are cheap to buy. I must say I ordered the BHSE twice and cancelled it for the tube reasons you mention and not being able to leave it on. My desk is my workstation for my job, as well as my system, so I can use it pretty much anytime. I have speakers are well and probably use them twice as much, maybe more. But the 009 does something I like, so I can't give it up. And not for the money it would release anyway. A planar setup would probably need a good tube amp and 3-4K phones anyway, and to get a better level, maybe, more than likely maybe not. Yeah, you can power planers of more SS amps, but the cost is about the same now to get near the level you are at.

Anyway, good luck Arnaud, I hope you don't regret it later?

I think you missed the point. He likes the BHSE. It’s not about the tubes or the fact you cannot leave it on. It’s about the fact he doesn’t have enough time to listen to the amp and it is too expensive for the little time he does listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back