The Stax Thread III
Jan 25, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #10,966 of 25,675
Thought it was an interesting progression. post #13

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #10,967 of 25,675

Dear all,
Can someone point me to an after-market headphone hard case which the SR009 can fit into?  I still have the original wooden case but it looks too delicate to be used on a day-to-day basis.

Thank you

Look into the Pelican 1400 case.
I believe this will suit your needs.

Take care, the wooden box is breathable for a reason. My 007s got some mold on the leather cups after storing in their box (Stax aluminium slewed flight case). Look for an impact plastic and foam filled case and ensure it has a breather hole, and leave that open. They usually have a breather hole facility as it is difficult to open otherwise because of the air seal of the box i.e the lid gets stuck. And you can for extra security, put a silica gell bag inside the case somewhere. Keep the box in a heated room in your house (not the garage or loft).

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #10,968 of 25,675
  Take care, the wooden box is breathable for a reason. My 007s got some mold on the leather cups after storing in their box (Stax aluminium slewed flight case). Look for an impact plastic and foam filled case and ensure it has a breather hole, and leave that open. They usually have a breather hole facility as it is difficult to open otherwise because of the air seal of the box i.e the lid gets stuck. And you can for extra security, put a silica gell bag inside the case somewhere. Keep the box in a heated room in your house (not the garage or loft).

"The Pelican 1400 Case with Foam (Black) is an unbreakable, watertight, airtight, dust proof, chemical-resistant and corrosion-proof hard case used to carry any kind of equipment that needs to be protected from the elements. It is made of Ultra-High Impact structural copolymer that makes it extremely strong and durable. It has a 0.25" (6.4mm) neoprene o-ring, and easy-open double throw latches that seal perfectly. It includes an automatic pressure equalization valve for quick equalization after changes in atmospheric pressure. It is carried by a folding molded handle."

"This case has a 3-piece foam interior."

I don't use one myself, but I figured since it's water/air tight dust proof and chemical resistant/corrosion proof and has an automatic pressure equalization valve it would prevent mold/mildew and this would be ideal for what he is looking for. Sounds like a really well made case.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #10,969 of 25,675

I don't use one myself, but I figured since it's water/air tight dust proof and chemical resistant/corrosion proof and has an automatic pressure equalization valve it would prevent mold/mildew and this would be ideal for what he is looking for. Sounds like a really well made case.

I used the Stax case for the 007s and it seals pretty good. Tbus I am using the moisture in the leather cups and padding had adsorbed some moisture from use, then grey the mild after being put in they case. It isn't a case of moisture getting in, more a case of it getting out. The Stax 009 brochure that came with the phones says as much, hence the carefully chosen wood and they way it is made.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #10,970 of 25,675

I think you'll be pleased.  Look forward to reading your impressions.

HS

Well, My initial impression is "wow-what a difference" :)

The 007's sound like a completely different headphone with the KGSSHV amp.  Much more dynamic, wider/deeper sound-stage.  Bass is much more authoritative, and treble is more pronounced.  Vocals sound life like, as do piano and horns/woodwinds (which I find are among the most difficult to sound accurately),  I played a symphony that I'm pretty familiar with, and it sounded almost like one was in the hall.  I've never heard any system that could get this close to simulating a musical event.  I can't even begin to imagine just how much it would cost to get a regular two channel playback to get to this level of performance.  

Based on members feedback, I would think the KGSSHV and SR-009 could be a little too bright for my taste.  The SR-007 seems to be an ideal match with the KGSSHV amp.  

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #10,971 of 25,675

I think you'll be pleased.  Look forward to reading your impressions.

HS

Well, My initial impression is "wow-what a difference" :)

The 007's sound like a completely different headphone with the KGSSHV amp.  Much more dynamic, wider/deeper sound-stage.  Bass is much more authoritative, and treble is more pronounced.  Vocals sound life like, as do piano and horns/woodwinds (which I find are among the most difficult to sound accurately),  I played a symphony that I'm pretty familiar with, and it sounded almost like one was in the hall.  I've never heard any system that could get this close to simulating a musical event.  I can't even begin to imagine just how much it would cost to get a regular two channel playback to get to this level of performance.  

Based on members feedback, I would think the KGSSHV and SR-009 could be a little too bright for my taste.  The SR-007 seems to be an ideal match with the KGSSHV amp.  

It depends on the KGSShv. Some are brighter than others (a lot). I had 2 x KGSShv's both with Sanyo FETs and it was a warm amp, very solid bass and great dynamics. It woke up my 007s for sure! I also liked the 009s on it as well, no brightness issues. The 009 can be tricky I admit, and some DACs will only highlight it's excitable treble energy, But get it right, wow.....

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #10,972 of 25,675
I have a number of STAX Headphones, amps. transformer box etc, that I need to sale/trade maximize to the best sound possible. I picked up an old Lambda NB and SRD-7-SB and couldn't believe how much better it sounded than my dynamic phones and even clearer than my couple of pair of magna planars. So, I went on a bit of a STAX buying spree and I'm trying to decide how to navigate to a STAX endgame.

Here's what I have:

Amps Transformer Box etc.
SRD-7-SB modded to include a pro output
SRM-1 Mk2 Professional with one normal bias and one pro bias slot
KGSS DX Edition originally built by Headamp.

EarSpeakers/Phones:
Lambda NB
Lambda Signature Pro bias
Lambda SR 404 Signature Edition (not the Limited Edition, danggit)
Lambda SR L-700
SR-007 Mk2

I guess my question is where I go from here. I was evaluating everything and I now have a bunch of options that are hard to compare. For example, I was certain that I preferred the L-700 to the 007 mk2 when listening on the SRM-1 Mmk2 Pro, only to have the 007's come to life when hooked up to the KGSS DX. The 007s were too muddy sounding with the SRM-1 but the SRM-1's warmer sound nicely works with the Lambda's natural bright sound. I am using an Emotiva A100 hooked up to the SRD-7 and it brightens up the 007s also, but they sound more detailed and controlled on the KGSS.

Originally, I thought about exchanging up to the 009's, but I know there is a minority of opinion that seems to think the 009 is too bright. I may still want to go that way. If I do, will the KGSS DX be enough for the 009 or will it necessitate another amp upgrade to a KGSSHV, or Carbon or BHSE? 

What would you suggest as a good next step?

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #10,974 of 25,675
I also think a KGSSHV Carbon and SR-007 is a excellent combo.  Regarding DAC's, my choice would be the Benchmard DAC3.  I've got a Benchmarrk DAC2 DX, and it's outstanding.  The Benchmark technology is as good as it gets.  

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #10,975 of 25,675
Get a Yggdrasil now. Call it a day. Grab a Carbon later if you do feel so inclined.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #10,976 of 25,675
Thanks for the feedback so far! There is nothing lacking in the KGSS that I can hear, it's more a matter of what a Carbon could add to the sound. The SRM1 mk2 Pro is great for Lambda's but produces industrial grade mud when the 007's are hooked in. I know ultimately only I can decide if a 009 is worth it as an upgrade, but are a lot members satisfied with th 007? I'd love to find a good deal on a KgssHV Carbon. What is the main advantage of the KGSSHV and the Carbon relative to the KGSS DX?

Thanks for the DAC suggestions I recently picked up the Chord Mojo and immediately noticed an improvement in quality next to the DIY Wolfson and SABRE 9018 Dacs I was using before. Frequency response wasn't much diffferent but I noticed more nuanced detail in vocals and instruments and bettter control of the sound.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #10,977 of 25,675
  Get a Yggdrasil now. Call it a day. Grab a Carbon later if you do feel so inclined.

Am guessing the T2 not landed yet. What amp are you using now?

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #10,978 of 25,675
I'm using the KGSS DX.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #10,979 of 25,675

Am guessing the T2 not landed yet. What amp are you using now?

Still being polished/anodized. 
frown.gif
 I'd been using the Carbon. SRX seems a logical choice if this wait continues to break me.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back