The Stax Thread III
Nov 26, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #10,636 of 25,674
Picked up my SR-009 and WOO WEE energiser today. Was going to wait 'til my birthday in a few weeks but screw that. Hooked everything up and have listened to a bunch of tracks to test the thing. Definitely a very different sound that I'm used to, especially coming off from my HD800. Very, very detailed and very crisp. A very forward sound that'll take some getting used to but they have an eerie almost magical quality to them. Don't think I've ever heard recordings that I'm familiar with sound like this before.Very, very interesting thus far.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #10,637 of 25,674
  Picked up my SR-009 and WOO WEE energiser today. Was going to wait 'til my birthday in a few weeks but screw that. Hooked everything up and have listened to a bunch of tracks to test the thing. Definitely a very different sound that I'm used to, especially coming off from my HD800. Very, very detailed and very crisp. A very forward sound that'll take some getting used to but they have an eerie almost magical quality to them. Don't think I've ever heard recordings that I'm familiar with sound like this before.Very, very interesting thus far.

Don't want to be negative, but be very careful using the Woo Wee, it has popped up various forums as having fried the HPs attached to them. Did around and you will find the posts.

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #10,638 of 25,674
Never heard the Stax extension cable, but I can only imagine it could be detrimental to sound quality to some degree. 

You certainly have a good imagination. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #10,640 of 25,674

Don't want to be negative, but be very careful using the Woo Wee, it has popped up various forums as having fried the HPs attached to them. Did around and you will find the posts.

Could you link those posts? When I researched the WEE I couldn't find anything negative about it and saw a number of users and professional reviewers suggesting it as a viable alternative. Surely WOO wouldn't sell a defective product. The thing seems really well made. 

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #10,641 of 25,674
The woo is like every other single transformer box out there. There is no protection of any kind.

Drive it with an amplifier that is too powerful (and that is fairly easy) and it will produce voltage swings well in excess of the 2320 VPPSS that the headphones can handle.

There are additional issues.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #10,642 of 25,674
  The woo is like every other single transformer box out there. There is no protection of any kind.

Drive it with an amplifier that is too powerful (and that is fairly easy) and it will produce voltage swings well in excess of the 2320 VPPSS that the headphones can handle.

There are additional issues.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Densen B-150. Below are the specs:

2 x 100W into 8ohm/200W into 4ohm. 750 VA power supply size. 130,000 uf storage capacity.

Should I trade in the Woo WEE for something like the Stax SRM-007T MK2? I'm really, really loathe to spend anymore money than I already have but I don't want to damage the 009.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #10,643 of 25,674
So, on the other web site an MSB engineer posted some info on their amp.  The power transistors are attached to the heat-sink on the back side of the board, it does have a regulated supply, and power consumption is about 60 watts, which is lower than the Carbon, and definitely lower than the BHSE or DIY T2 even if you leave out the consumption of the filament supplies for the latter two.  Distortion is said to be 0.02% at 440Vrms.  Freq response at 100 Vrms out is +/- 0.8 dB dB from 5 Hz to 20 kHz driving one SR009.  Just as an example, my SRX Plus is +/1 0.1 dB from below 10 Hz to 40 kHz at 100 Vrms out into a 100 pf cap load despite its cap coupling between input and output sections.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #10,644 of 25,674

Could you link those posts? When I researched the WEE I couldn't find anything negative about it and saw a number of users and professional reviewers suggesting it as a viable alternative. Surely WOO wouldn't sell a defective product. The thing seems really well made. 

No personal experience, but the other issue that has been reported is the the HV bias supply in some samples doesn't have a 5 megohm protective resistor after the last cap.  This can lead to the cap discharging into the diaphragm and damaging it.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #10,645 of 25,674
Never heard the Stax extension cable, but I can only imagine it could be detrimental to sound quality to some degree. 

You certainly have a good imagination. 
wink_face.gif

The 'detoriation' of the sound will depend on how loud one is listning and how powerful the amp is ...

I was poking fun at yates7592 for offering an opinion without ever having heard a STAX extension cable.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #10,649 of 25,674
  thought it was the main occupation around here?

Users who own gear have as valued an opinion on how it sounds, and the ones on here who post and HAVE heard it are obvious. Plenty of those who post opinions without hearing stuff, here and at all the forums. Just find the posts that matter.

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #10,650 of 25,674

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Densen B-150. Below are the specs:

2 x 100W into 8ohm/200W into 4ohm. 750 VA power supply size. 130,000 uf storage capacity.

Should I trade in the Woo WEE for something like the Stax SRM-007T MK2? I'm really, really loathe to spend anymore money than I already have but I don't want to damage the 009.

I would be very careful with the volume knob. That amp is at least 3 times more power than you need.

if you have a spl meter, definitely keep the peaks under 95db.

The stax extension cable i have here (one of the old ones) measures at about 35pf. So about 1/3 the load of a set of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back