The Stax Thread III
Dec 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,007 of 25,682
Peter,,
I wouldn't,t be so quick to dismiss the 007mkII,which I also found a bit bright,when I first listened to them.
However,recently,I found a pair of 007mkII,and a 727 amp,which I sent down to Justin at Headamp,who modded it,and the result is outstanding
All this ran me,under $3K,it was purchased used,from 2 great head-fiers
I feel the 007mkII,is a bit underrated.,
Might I suggest,you start giving the buy/sell forum a strong look,sometimes,you can pick up some fantastic deals
Best of luck ,

Mike

Agreed. Although I preferred the Mk1 over the Mk2, I didn't find the difference as big as some have found it in these forums.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,008 of 25,682

Hi Mike, was the mod only the feedback change or was it more drastic (replacing transistor)? Been thinking of having something like this done with mine.

It is best ,you contact Justin directly,

Here is what he told me,when I asked the same question:
"the mod will increase the amplifiers control over the drivers which tightens the bass and it also decreases the distortion"

Overall,I found there was a smoothness,that I really did not hear before.,I listen to my current setup ,sometimes 6-8 hours at a clip,and it is never fatiguing
For me,& my ears,I strongly recommend ,that this mod be done,,with my music,mostly acoustic guitar,mild jazz,classical,and now,soundtrack music,mostly Hanz Zimmer,and a few others.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,010 of 25,682

Agreed. Although I preferred the Mk1 over the Mk2, I didn't find the difference as big as some have found it in these forums.

At the NY meet,I did  A-B comparisons,between the mkI vs. the mkII,and ,yes..I found little difference,but many head-fiers,seem to prefer the mkI.
To each his own.
Your ears will tell you ,what sounds right..
I did try some very expensive amps at the meet,that is what made a big difference in SQ,,to my ears...the Blue Hawaii is one-wow,and wow on the price tag.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #1,011 of 25,682
Peter,,
I wouldn't,t be so quick to dismiss the 007mkII,which I also found a bit bright,when I first listened to them.
However,recently,I found a pair of 007mkII,and a 727 amp,which I sent down to Justin at Headamp,who modded it,and the result is outstanding
Might I suggest,you start giving the buy/sell forum a strong look,sometimes,you can pick up some fantastic deals
Best of luck ,

Mike

Have you heard the 009s and if so, do you prefer them over the 007?

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #1,012 of 25,682
Have you heard the 009s and if so, do you prefer them over the 007?

I did listen to the 009's at the meet.
The clarity & detail ,are like nothing ,I,ve ever heard,also,they are extremely comfortable,even more so than my HD800's.
Right now,I,m still on the fence about them,I think,they might be a little too fatiguing ..??
I was looking at PriceJapan,and almost pulled the trigger,then my wife came in,and I ran......

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,013 of 25,682
I did listen to the 009's at the meet.
The clarity & detail ,are like nothing ,I,ve ever heard,also,they are extremely comfortable,even more so than my HD800's.
Right now,I,m still on the fence about them,I think,they might be a little too fatiguing ..??
I was looking at PriceJapan,and almost pulled the trigger,then my wife came in,and I ran......

LOL. it was hard convincing my wife but done it in the end. I will be using warm upstream equipment - srm-717 and a Meridian dac. That should hopefully tame it. I also don't listen too often at high levels so that helps too.

What amp did you hear the 009s with?

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,014 of 25,682
Yeah,I have a feeling,I will end up getting them myself.
To be honest,the fit/comfort on my 007,s is not the best,the 009 is very comfortable..
I,m hoping my 727mkII amp will be strong enough for the 009-I,ve asked a few senior head-fiers,and they have told me ,it will be "fine"
The amp,was a huge McIntosh receiver,with some kind of adapter,setup???..it was fantastic.'which I tried on the 009's.
I believe the owners name was Chris?.....it was my first meet,so I didn't,t know anybody.

Are you contemplating an amp upgrade...if so....which one?

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,015 of 25,682
The 727II (not modified for feedback) is meant to be a good match with the 009s. I am contemplating the KGSS DX but from what I have read, although cleaner than the 717, it might be a little too forward in it's sound compared to what I am looking for.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,017 of 25,682
Peter,,
Best of luck ,

Mike

Thanks Mike.  That was my next question, where to start looking for used Stax gear.  I will look at the head-fi  trading forum.  A little nervous about ebay, but wondering if there are more opportunities there.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,018 of 25,682

Thanks Mike.  That was my next question, where to start looking for used Stax gear.  I will look at the head-fi  trading forum.  A little nervous about ebay, but wondering if there are more opportunities there.

Audiogon occasionally has some Stax gear for sale as well.  Recently bought a 007 MK2 from there.

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #1,019 of 25,682

You do have to be careful on e-bay,it's best to buy from sellers who have very high ratings.

A lot of the Stax gear on e-bay comes from Japan,so,some might have different voltage.
If you have your eye on something,you could show the link to one of head-fiers,that you communicate with,on a regular basis ,for his opinion/advise.
As mentioned before,Audiogon is another excellent source.
Head-fi ,is my first choice,though

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #1,020 of 25,682
I'm pretty sure the original BH or KGBH is also available as diy as evidently the schematics can be found on the headwize projects page.

Don't forget there is the Megatron as well if you like stats and tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back