The Stax Thread III
Jul 6, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #9,151 of 25,674
Anyone want to suggest a gray market source for a replacement SR-001 Mk2 cable? 

In hopes of it being cheaper than what Yamas wants for one, obviously. 

I've enquired with pricejapan and audiocubes2 - no responses yet. Yamas got right back to me, but their price is pretty high compared to just buying another sr-001 mk2 used. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #9,152 of 25,674
My thoughts about HE60 (still valid after 6 month of ownership) :

Measurements can be found here or there but here's some comparison on my own measurements rig ( grain of salt mandatory, Stats are hard to measure accurately) :

Forget the dip in the 009 FR . it's a measurement artifact. 

Good impressions. I'm curious have you ever heard the Normal Bias Lambda? The way you describe Stax mids is certainly true of the newer Lambdas that I've heard (SR-X07 series) but midrange smoothness on the original Lambda is phenomenal. If you've never heard them I highly recommend picking up a pair when one comes up for sale.

Also I assume that you acquired your 007 after you wrote these impressions. Do you have any thoughts about the 007 compared to the HE60?

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #9,153 of 25,674
Good impressions. I'm curious have you ever heard the Normal Bias Lambda? The way you describe Stax mids is certainly true of the newer Lambdas that I've heard (SR-X07 series) but midrange smoothness on the original Lambda is phenomenal. If you've never heard them I highly recommend picking up a pair when one comes up for sale.

Also I assume that you acquired your 007 after you wrote these impressions. Do you have any thoughts about the 007 compared to the HE60?

You can rest assured he has tried the normal bias lambda's as well as almost everything Stax has produced :wink:

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #9,154 of 25,674
You know, when using SACD discs in my chain of an EMM CDP --> KGSShv Mini --> (current version) SR007 phones produces absolutely brilliant, breathtaking sound.
Maybe things could be improved, but somehow this just feels like just plain super-great, for lack of a better technical term. Just my 2 cents. 
(I do toss in some nice Stealth interconnects for best results after a lot of experimentation, along with some old Shunyata anaconda power cords FWIW for full disclosure.)
So no tubes, a modest amp, and great results where I don't want to change a thing as long as I have an SACD (too bad there is not more DSD music of course, but there is still a tremendous amount of music to float my boat with this approach).

I wanted to amend this post to say that regular 16/44 CDs sound very good to excellent also in this system, so I'm not knocking redbook too much here. The SR007 2.5 is a real gem. A decent amp and a really good DAC or player is the key it seems.
(I did some testing after I wrote my original comment before I added this.)

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #9,155 of 25,674
@Arthrumus: yes . i owned the Lambda Normal bias and it's my fav Lambda with the lambda Signature. but it still conveys a typical Stax sound I appreciate for what it is but that I'm not fond of as much as many people here. 

I purchased the 007 mkII a few month after my HE60 indeed,  I applied the Spritzer mod and i now appreciate it much more than before the mod.  I still don't think my SRM-T1 does it enough justice and to be fair I'm still on the fence with that 007.  For sure, in my opinion, Omegas are much better than any Lambda, even if the 007 warmer sound sig is not my fav. I'm more into brighter sound sig and my Favorite Stax thus far is still the 009 by a fair margin. That been said, I really appreciate a lot the 007 ( imaging and Soundstage are really good imo) and I'm still considering to keep it as a nice complement for my HD800SD and my HE60 when I'm in the mood for some genre I listen less often.  Considering my musical tastes , especially modern Jazz recorded since 90s,  brighter headphones suit perfectly my needs.  Hope that makes sense for you. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #9,156 of 25,674
I get what you're saying. You're probably right about the T1. By all accounts it seems it just doesn't have quite enough guts to bring the 007 to its full potential. That's the reason I recently upgraded from an srm1-mk2 to a modded 727, an SR-007 is in my future.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #9,157 of 25,674
@Arthrumus : I have a SRX plus that will come soon :) . It should help to bring the 007 closer to its full potential. @JimL11 seems to be happy with this combination. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #9,158 of 25,674
That's wonderful. I recently began the very slow process of building an SRX plus as well. It's my first electrostatic amp build so I plan to take it slow. I will look forward to reading your impressions of the amp when it arrives.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #9,159 of 25,674
  My thoughts about HE60 (still valid after 6 month of ownership) :

(...)

I agree with most of this, especially that the mids are the strongest point of the HE60. It does magical things to voices and classical instruments: best I've ever heard anywhere. So touching and conveying emotions. Futhermore the amount of air is spectacular. However, I would definitely describe the HE60 as bass light. This is a relative and highly personal term, and it's fine if someone does not find it bass light, but to give people a fair impression I feel the need to add that IMO the HE60 is bass light and mid/high centric, and that I think a lot of people would agree with me on hearing a HE60 next to other headphones. Its bass is still enjoyable and good (tight, well-controlled), so you could definitely live with the HE60 as your only, very good pair of headphones. If you get a HE60 without hearing it first, you may be disappointed however if you expected more bass. There's less bass than a Lambda (LS, 202, 207 for example) gives you, to put things in perspective.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #9,160 of 25,674
  @Arthrumus : I have a SRX plus that will come soon :) . It should help to bring the 007 closer to its full potential. @JimL11 seems to be happy with this combination. 

That's true, I do like it, but of course I designed the modification so I'm biased.
k701smile.gif
 I will say that some of my friends listened to it compared to a Stax SRM-T1 and a modded SRM-727 (spritzer mod adding in global feedback) and felt it was better than either using both SR007 Mk I and modded Mk II (spritzer port mod) phones.  Hope to have some comparisons with a KGST a friend built with KGSSHV PS (better than the usual KGBH PS) and upgraded low voltage PS using Belleson regulators (designed by Walt Jung) which should be equivalent to the Golden Ref LV PS this weekend.

Incidentally, on the other website, Mike (mwl168) and congo5 have said some nice things about the SRX Plus sound.  They have built a number of Gilmore designs including the KGST, KGSSHV and Carbon (Mwl168) and Megatron, KGSSHV, and KGST (congo5) for direct comparison.

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #9,162 of 25,674
@Michgelsen : IMO and IME my HE60 is not bass light. Surely lacking heft , tautness and impact but I suspect the amp it at least partly responsible of that.  my Senn was services recently wit new O-rings though.  @Ali-Pacha heard it when we spent a whole day to compare and measure his stable of Stax :wink: . For sure , it's not 009 bass but I don't feel bass is lacking that much. For the record, I'm surely not into warm sound sig , not to mention bassy ones so maybe i'm biased.  

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #9,163 of 25,674
  What amp / driver unit SRX exactly is, anyone who can post pic of the original please, seems that I cant find any of such from this list

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/History.html

SRX was the name of an early top-of-the-line Stax headphones, which went through three Mk versions plus a pro version.  It is also the name of a Stax DIY headphone amp schematic which Stax published around 1968.  It was never built by Stax.  Do a Google search using "Stax SRX amplifier" and it will turn up.  This simple schematic formed the "skeleton" of the Stax SRM-T2, a highly complex, legendary amp state of the art design that was a cause of the original Stax going bankrupt.  The Stax T2 replaced the coupling capacitors in the SRX schematic with a whole bunch of solid state parts to allow the entire amp to be DC coupled from input to output.  It used a simple passive power supply, and enclosed four EL34 output tubes inside a box, allowing you to use it to fry eggs as a bonus. The DIY T2 designed by Kevin Gilmore using the exact Stax T2 amp schematic but with greatly enhanced regulated power supply is still considered state-of-the art.  The SRX Plus is my modification of the original circuit to use cascoded MOSFET current sources and a simple shunt regulated power supply.  This significantly enhances its performance while maintaining its simplicity and sonic character, and brings it up to modern standards.  It is DIY only, but is designed to achieve Stereophile Class B performance:  "the next best thing to the best for much less money."

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #9,164 of 25,674
Jul 7, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #9,165 of 25,674
Has anyone had any response from Pricejapan during the past month?
I ordered L700/353X from them 3 weeks ago, but there's no communication from them whatsoever.
Unfortunately I made the bank wire payment right after I placed the order. Should I be worried? Has anyone tried to fax them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back