The Stax Thread III
Oct 20, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #6,706 of 25,682

Ya know, you should really quote people...'cause it almost looks like you're giving me advice.
biggrin.gif

Yes this is a good idea.....this thread moves too quick and I type too slow lol.  I was talking to potkettleblack since he asked.  No one can stop your STAX quest I'm sure. 
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #6,707 of 25,682
  You could always order a 727 from pricejapan or joynetmall or something (joynetmall sells it for under 1300 dollars now, so it's cheaper than ever) and fix it up. It has to be modified a little but after that many agree it's the finest amp STAX currently makes and it will drive the 007 pretty well. 

What about DIY KG designs? Aren't some of those available for under $1,500? I may be able to go to $2,000 or more, in which case I could perhaps go for a KGST, but let's just assume I can't go over $1,500.

No one can stop your STAX quest I'm sure. 
wink.gif

Many have tried, but now...*insert supervillian catch phrase here* lol

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #6,709 of 25,682

What about DIY KG designs? Aren't some of those available for under $1,500? I may be able to go to $2,000 or more, in which case I could perhaps go for a KGST, but let's just assume I can't go over $1,500.

Many have tried, but now...*insert supervillian catch phrase here* lol

The KGST is the STAX 007T amp design on steroids. If you can find one for that price then sure it should sound very good with the 007s. I've heard a modified 007TII and it drove the 007 very well, so a well-built KGST will probably be at least as good. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #6,710 of 25,682

Damn
eek.gif
 ..... This thing is a guaranteed recipe for ear tinnitus . Just be careful. 

I'm blasting it right now just to see my body's reaction again. Doesn't even hurt! In fact, I find it quite pleasurable. Ha. I'm used to crazy stuff like this. (But yeah, I'm sure it could at least temporarily increase the tinnitus levels in anyone.) My tastes in music are more diverse than just about anyone else I know of. I might listen to an opera piece after this raw black metal. haha

The KGST is the STAX 007T amp design on steroids. If you can find one for that price then sure it should sound very good with the 007s. I've heard a modified 007TII and it drove the 007 very well, so a well-built KGST will probably be at least as good.

Think it'll sound better than the first amp you recommended?

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #6,712 of 25,682

I'm blasting it right now just to see my body's reaction again. Doesn't even hurt! In fact, I find it quite pleasurable. Ha. I'm used to crazy stuff like this. (But yeah, I'm sure it could at least temporarily increase the tinnitus levels in anyone.) My tastes in music are more diverse than just about anyone else I know of. I might listen to an opera piece after this raw black metal. haha

Think it'll sound better than the first amp you recommended?

No clue. Ask the STAX mafia
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #6,715 of 25,682
Obviously it wouldn't be ideal, but as a cheap stand in until being able to afford proper amplification, would a SRM-252S drive the 009...decently? I'm guessing no as it outputs a lot less power than say the 727? Im new to the electrostatic world and needing help! 
redface.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #6,717 of 25,682
So I mentioned an opera piece earlier. To anyone who wants to test out an amazing dramatic opera track on their STAX: look up "Diva" from the Blood+ Original Soundtrack 1! My god...such a majestic masterpiece. Gives me goosebumps. The soundtrack for that anime was composed and produced by Mark Mancina and Hans Zimmer, who also did the soundtracks for The Lion King, The Dark Knight, Twister, and other popular films.

Obviously it wouldn't be ideal, but as a cheap stand in until being able to afford proper amplification, would a SRM-252S drive the 009...decently? I'm guessing no as it outputs a lot less power than say the 727? Im new to the electrostatic world and needing help! 
redface.gif

It will make sound. Can't guarantee anything else.
bigsmile_face.gif

The SRM-212 has the same specs as the SRM-252S, and I got plenty of volume when using an SRM-212 to drive an SR-207. For what it's worth, the SR-009 has the same sensitivity as the SR-207, though that's only one factor to consider. I'm certainly not implying that you'll get anywhere near the SR-009's potential with an entry-level amp.

What is your budget? If you let everyone here know what you're working with, you'll get better help.

Oh, and I'm assuming you're already importing the SR-009 from PriceJapan.com to save tons of money.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #6,718 of 25,682
redface.gif

The 009 isn't any harder to drive than the Lambdas. But such a low-end amp for the very much high-end 009 seems a little like pushing it... why not go for a used 006T or T1 and a used Lambda Nova Signature instead while you save up for the 009? 

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #6,719 of 25,682

That song isn't terribly treble heavy. I think the reason it might be piercing, is the subpar production. The instruments are all smashed together on one microphone it sounds like. Shove that threw a bad DAC, and you have a brick wall of sound.

If you want something with real harsh treble try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa-8GsMhznc
Which admittedly still doesn't hurt my ears with the 009s, but sucks to listen to.

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #6,720 of 25,682
  That song isn't terribly treble heavy. I think the reason it might be piercing, is the subpar production. The instruments are all smashed together on one microphone it sounds like. Shove that threw a bad DAC, and you have a brick wall of sound.

If you want something with real harsh treble try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa-8GsMhznc
Which admittedly still doesn't hurt my ears with the 009s, but sucks to listen to.

Yeah, the production is lo-fi, but that's what makes it so great in the context of raw black metal. When BM is overproduced, it loses its evilness.
devil_face.gif
(But I do enjoy well-produced BM as well, including bands that hire orchestras.)

I like Aphex Twin! As far as electronica (for the readers, not to be confused with the many other genres of electronic music) goes, I also love Amethystium, Boards Of Canada, Cybo, and Autechre. But yeah, the high frequencies in that track are annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back