The Stax Thread III
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #21,526 of 26,137
I've had a lot of electrostatic headphones. that's why I made an adjustable bias.
I fed 730 volts to my favorite 007, no problem. but if you feed 1000 then you will hear not pleasant sounds....
quite a project, nice idea. I assume you can get "normal" out of it as well?
I just recently pulled my stax equipment out and setup a dac from a tablet otg. Really enjoying the sr5, original Lambda and a 407 again. Keep thinking about the 007 and the synergy with a srm-1 mk2 professional.
I listened a few years ago to the 009 and 007...thought they were both great, leaned toward the 7's .... go figure

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #21,527 of 26,137
If you are going for a 007, the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro might be too sweet and warm for it, it was made in conjuction with the NB Lambda and Lambda Pro, better synergy there.
A feedback modified SRM-727II or a CCS modified SRM-T1S are probably the bare minimum, but it is recommended to go higher, or use a transformer-based solution.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #21,528 of 26,137
If you're going to spring for the 007 or 009, you really need a better amp than the SRM-1 MK2. It is my backup amp and I've had to use it a lot lately in between amps and it simply does not cut it. The 009 loses it's spaciousness and dynamics.. barely has any bass response with it, and it can barely drive the 007 adequately.

It can suffice temporarily, but you leave a lot of performance on the table in comparison to the better amps out there.

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #21,529 of 26,137
If you're going to spring for the 007 or 009, you really need a better amp than the SRM-1 MK2. It is my backup amp and I've had to use it a lot lately in between amps and it simply does not cut it. The 009 loses it's spaciousness and dynamics.. barely has any bass response with it, and it can barely drive the 007 adequately.

It can suffice temporarily, but you leave a lot of performance on the table in comparison to the better amps out there.
WIth a couple of caveats, the SRM-1 MK2 is just fine for the SR007. The first is that mostly it needs to be recapped, due to age. People who complain about the SRM-1 MK2 with the 007 are really likely listen to an amp that is way out of spec. The second caveat is how loud do you like to listen? At moderate volumes, you have to get to a BHSE or Carbon to hear much of a difference. Even then it's only when you play the amp really really loud that you hear the biggest difference. The 007 bass on a properly restored SRM-1 MK2 is quite ok. But I suppose if you're going to spend 007 money on a headphone at some point you need to get a better amp than the SRM1 MK2. But I think it's a huge exaggeration to say that the amp is barely adequate. Yes you're leaving some unrealized performance on the table. But to a lot of people, listening at moderate volume, I wonder if that difference is so important for the expense involved. Full disclosure, I have a recently recapped SRM1MK2 and a better amp (SRX +) and a 007.

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #21,530 of 26,137
I tend to agree. For me, the 007 was difficult to drive due to huge bass shelf and louder volume with highly dynamic library. Basically nothing short of KGBH, KGGG or Carbon solved that for me, and then it didn't sound good to me at higher SPL. If you listen at 70db without eq, for example, a d10 will work fine.

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #21,531 of 26,137
WIth a couple of caveats, the SRM-1 MK2 is just fine for the SR007. The first is that mostly it needs to be recapped, due to age. People who complain about the SRM-1 MK2 with the 007 are really likely listen to an amp that is way out of spec. The second caveat is how loud do you like to listen? At moderate volumes, you have to get to a BHSE or Carbon to hear much of a difference. Even then it's only when you play the amp really really loud that you hear the biggest difference. The 007 bass on a properly restored SRM-1 MK2 is quite ok. But I suppose if you're going to spend 007 money on a headphone at some point you need to get a better amp than the SRM1 MK2. But I think it's a huge exaggeration to say that the amp is barely adequate. Yes you're leaving some unrealized performance on the table. But to a lot of people, listening at moderate volume, I wonder if that difference is so important for the expense involved. Full disclosure, I have a recently recapped SRM1MK2 and a better amp (SRX +) and a 007.

Yea what you just mentioned is my entire point. I would never spend $1.5 - $2.5k or more on headphones just to bottleneck their performance significantly. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

But I would have to highly disagree on the volume point. I have the SRM-1 and a mini T2 prototype side by side and at any volume it is seriously a night and day difference performance wise with either the 007 or 009. The Shangri-la is nearly a non-starter altogether with the stax amp. My opinion also has been the same when the amp was newer years and years ago.

But definitely, if you need to get by for the time being, sure. But no, I can't at all in good faith recommend using one with TOTL electrostatic headphones if you want to get most out of them.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #21,532 of 26,137
Yea what you just mentioned is my entire point. I would never spend $1.5 - $2.5k or more on headphones just to bottleneck their performance significantly. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

But I would have to highly disagree on the volume point. I have the SRM-1 and a mini T2 prototype side by side and at any volume it is seriously a night and day difference performance wise with either the 007 or 009. The Shangri-la is nearly a non-starter altogether with the stax amp. My opinion also has been the same when the amp was newer years and years ago.

But definitely, if you need to get by for the time being, sure. But no, I can't at all in good faith recommend using one with TOTL electrostatic headphones if you want to get most out of them.
I think we hear things very differently. I would never ever want to own a hifiman Shangri-la SR. I thought it sounded (on hifiman's set up) much worse than a Susvara and and especially a Senn HE 1. Not even close. I listened to them all over 2 or three hours with my music in a very quiet amsterdam headphone store. Not saying with your ears you are wrong, just as usual YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #21,533 of 26,137
I think we hear things very differently. I would never ever want to own a hifiman Shangri-la SR. I thought it sounded (on hifiman's set up) much worse than a Susvara with a as well as an Senn HE 1. Not even close. I listened to them all over 2 or three hours with my music in a very quiet amsterdam headphone store. Not saying with your ears you are wrong, just as usual YMMV.

Yes, if the SGL sounds 'much worse' than the Susvara (of which they share more similarities than otherwise), we certainly have different ears. :) But I don't at all get what that has to do with anything about relative amp performance lol.

It doesn't matter if we're talking the SGL, the 007 or the 009, they are all clearly limited via side by side comparison on the SRM-1 MK2 imho. The thing that's so odd to me is that with planars, dynamics, etc. everyone easily agrees that better amps lead to optimized performance with TOTL headphones.. but with stax everyone wants to argue that there is no gap with budget amps vs. TOTL amps. And most times, they have not owned the them together over time.. which is a red flag. I do get the money aspect, but there are plenty of good amps between the $1.5-3k range. No one is saying you have to have a BHSE or T2. But to act like better amplification doesn't matter is just a bit crazy..

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #21,534 of 26,137
Yes, if the SGL sounds 'much worse' than the Susvara (of which they share more similarities than otherwise), we certainly have different ears. :) But I don't at all get what that has to do with anything about relative amp performance lol.

It doesn't matter if we're talking the SGL, the 007 or the 009, they are all clearly limited via side by side comparison on the SRM-1 MK2 imho. The thing that's so odd to me is that with planars, dynamics, etc. everyone easily agrees that better amps lead to optimized performance with TOTL headphones.. but with stax everyone wants to argue that there is no gap with budget amps vs. TOTL amps. And most times, they have not owned the them together over time.. which is a red flag. I do get the money aspect, but there are plenty of good amps between the $1.5-3k range. No one is saying you have to have a BHSE or T2. But to act like better amplification doesn't matter is just a bit crazy..
My point is we hear thing very differently. I never said there wasn't a difference between amps. I am someone who paid 4.5x what I paid for an SRM1 for a better amp. So I suppose I fall into a category that hears the difference between amps. I am just saying your point about the difference being huge is mostly based on what volume you listen at. At 80 - 85db or so, which is safe-ish for all day listening, the difference isn't very big at all. At the volume that most people who brag about carbon's (not all) listen at, the difference is much more noticeable especially in the low end, and of questionable safety.

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #21,535 of 26,137
I think we hear things very differently. I would never ever want to own a hifiman Shangri-la SR. I thought it sounded (on hifiman's set up) much worse than a Susvara with a as well as an Senn HE 1. Not even close. I listened to them all over 2 or three hours with my music in a very quiet amsterdam headphone store. Not saying with your ears you are wrong, just as usual YMMV.
come on

are you confusing SGL and SGL jr?

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #21,536 of 26,137
come on

are you confusing SGL and SGL jr?
Nope. I was shocked. The susvara was driven by a chord dave and a riviera amp. So maybe that's why. But it sounded closer to the HE1 than the SGL. Of course at that level you're spending more than 30k euros for the susvara set up. I wasn't the only one who came to that conclusion. Lot of us loonies in the world :wink:

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #21,537 of 26,137
I am just saying your point about the difference being huge is mostly based on what volume you listen at. At 80 - 85db or so, which is safe-ish for all day listening, the difference isn't very big at all. At the volume that most people who brag about carbon's (not all) listen at, the difference is much more noticeable especially in the low end, and of questionable safety.

Totally fine, and we respectfully disagree and that's ok. :) Despite the listening level, there is a very clear difference. I don't know how you can have them side by side and come to any other conclusion, ears aside. Whether it's worth it is a different thing entirely and that I get.

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #21,538 of 26,137
Nope. I was shocked. The susvara was driven by a chord dave and a riviera amp. So maybe that's why. But it sounded closer to the HE1 than the SGL. Of course at that level you're spending more than 30k euros for the susvara set up. I wasn't the only one who came to that conclusion. Lot of us loonies in the world :wink:
gotta be the setup

Dec 24, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #21,539 of 26,137
gotta be the setup

If the SGL is ‘much worse’ than the Susvara to someone, something is undoubtedly wrong. And I think Hifiman would tell you just that if you reached out to them..

I can totally understand having different preferences though, especially when it comes to tonality—Susvara being a bit warmer. And the Susvara having slightly better bass. Outside of those two things, SGL is easily, technically better in every single aspect. But I do get someone preferring one over the other.

But I’ve owned both for months, and saying the SGL is ‘much worse’ is just crazy lol

Dec 25, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #21,540 of 26,137
If the SGL is ‘much worse’ than the Susvara to someone, something is undoubtedly wrong. And I think Hifiman would tell you just that if you reached out to them..

I can totally understand having different preferences though, especially when it comes to tonality—Susvara being a bit warmer. And the Susvara having slightly better bass. Outside of those two things, SGL is easily, technically better in every single aspect. But I do get someone preferring one over the other.

But I’ve owned both for months, and saying the SGL is ‘much worse’ is just crazy lol
It is a tonality thing, yes SGL is an ok headphone. But I could listen to the HE1 at the same time. And it wasn't even close. I asked the shop owner if anybody was picking the SGL over the HE1, he said "not yet". He said almost everyone had the same reaction as I did.

SGL may be technically better than the Susvara, I really can't say. Because the tonality of the SGL was so wonky that I didn't care to try to figure it out.

But we all have different ear topology, different musical tastes and different minds. I am very happy for you that you found a headphone that you love. Cool hobby, so many different choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back