The Stax Thread III
Oct 27, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #19,201 of 25,560
There are lot of options to consider, even with an amp like this, the SR-007 Mk2 will have more bass slam the the detail and imaging are on a whole new level, Lambdas just can't reach to those heights. It is a very different sound overall, but a decent match with the modified 727, which I think is a bit brighter and flatter than the hybrid Stax amps with tubes which do a good job at "rounding off" Lambdas, but not as dynamic.
They seem to be going for fairly decent prices used, an SR-L700 Mk2 costing more just shows how much Lambdas have gone up in price.

Also, if you change to a balanced source you become less dependant on cables (better noise rejection), the Stax amps (including the aftermarket amps) are inherently balanced by design, so you are eliminating an unecessary unbalanced->balanced conversion with that (you also get +6db gain which is set lower on the 727 compared to other amps) for me it becomes a bit warmer and more dynamic, a positive change.

Some people are driving a top-tier headphone with a mediocre amp that sounds congested but overall still on a much higher level of detail and imaging, while others do it the polar opposite way, and it is quite difficult to evaluate, which is best.
But whatever you get first, you might end up upgrading all three things, in which case, it is quite a huge jump in price (but also sound quality) people can only really argue about what's the best order to do that (and more crucially, where to "stop")

If you intend to stay with the L300LE, then the KGST or an SRX+ should be decent upgrades without going higher to a Carbon or a BH, as long as you find a good builder for them.
This newer Head-Fi still isn't giving notifications even when I'm subscribed, just noticed your message. That's interesting maybe the modded SRM-727 really does put out good bass slam and the SR-007's could realize that. I do say what I'm hearing with my (blu-tac modded) L300 LE's is not too far off the 'house sound' of Lambda's I've heard before - great resolution and wide FR response but with a nod to a mid-focused and somewhat hollow sound.

Thanks for the other energiser recommendations. But I'm not familiar with any of those you recommended. SRX+, Carbon and BH. What is the full name including manufacturer name so I can look those up? Not long ago Carbon referred to Liquid Carbon SS amp by Cavalli.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #19,203 of 25,560
Thanks for the other energiser recommendations. But I'm not familiar with any of those you recommended. SRX+, Carbon and BH. What is the full name including manufacturer name so I can look those up? Not long ago Carbon referred to Liquid Carbon SS amp by Cavalli.
In the Stax context,
* SRX+ will be the SRX Plus, a DIY design by JimL11, who posts on HeadFi and I think elsewhere
* Carbon will be a Kevin Gilmore designed KGSS Carbon, of which there have been several iterations ... Mjolnir Audio is a good place to see some ... the schematics etc are avail for DIY builders
* BH will be a Blue Hawaii ... see HeadAmp.com

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #19,204 of 25,560
I have my eye on a Blue Hawaii by HeadAmp. Reviews are very positive, and I love the colors. Visually stunning. IMO

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #19,207 of 25,560
I owned the Blue Hawaii Special Edition in silver for almost 3yrs and used it with both, the 007Mk2 w/port mod & 009...spectacular!
It's amazing to see where we've all moved on to.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #19,211 of 25,560
I had the chance to buy some minty SR-307 / SRM323A for a reasonable price, pulled the trigger and got them on the way.

Do you think Audio-GD R2R11 would work fine as a DAC or should I contemplate another options?
Also, do I need a step-down transformer (Europe)? About connectors, any RCA cables would do the job?

I always research info before buying, but it was one of those situations where either you take it or leave it, so I had no time for it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #19,212 of 25,560
I had the chance to buy some minty SR-307 / SRM323A for a reasonable price, pulled the trigger and got them on the way.

Do you think Audio-GD R2R11 would work fine as a DAC or should I contemplate another options?
Look for something else. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-audio-gd-r2r11-dac-amp.5779/
Also, do I need a step-down transformer (Europe)? About connectors, any RCA cables would do the job?
Assuming that SRM323A is a 100V or 110V device and you're in a 230V country, you'll either need a step down transformer or you may get away with re-soldering a few wires inside, similar to what is described here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rewiring-the-srm-323s-from-100v-to-120v.806800/. You'll need some luck that the additional wires are still present, Stax cuts those in newer amps.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #19,213 of 25,560

I always research info before buying, but it was one of those situations where either you take it or leave it, so I had no time for it.

Thanks in advance.
I also had a negative experience with an Audio-GD DAC, their R2R R1. After getting the Chord Electronics Qutest instead for a bit more, the improvements were absolutely unparalleled in every aspect.

However Audio-GD does make some outstanding DDCs (audio interface). My DI-20 from them sounds even better than a direct stream from a dedicated CD transport via optical. Seems to defy logic but you'd have to hear it to believe it.
I owned the Blue Hawaii Special Edition in silver for almost 3yrs and used it with both, the 007Mk2 w/port mod & 009...spectacular!
Mind to say why you parted with it - found something even better to drive e-stats?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #19,214 of 25,560
Mind to say why you parted with it - found something even better to drive e-stats?
Just parted with it because I had my experience & enjoyment with the BHSE & Stax and just felt it was time to move on.
I pretty much always do this with my headphones & gear. A good analogy; it's like driving the same car for 3yrs and just wanting something different.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #19,215 of 25,560
I do the same thing. I’ve even rebought some headphones I sold. Probably going to slow down for a bit. At least until some new flagship comes out and I can’t resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back