The Stax Thread III
Apr 11, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #18,406 of 25,560
JimL11 - has anyone done an srx+ without a pcb? I remember reading that you said it was possible. Can't seem to find a pcb and not sure where I can simply order one.

I thought HiFi was about the sound, since when did everyone get caught up on how things look? I miss the 1960s-70s diy look with simple stamped chassis and transformers sticking out - so many amps with mediocre components and nice chassis work with dozens of tubes sticking out that makes everyone go, "ooh pretty"

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #18,407 of 25,560
If Kevin Gilmore, who is a MUCH more experienced builder than I am, says the heatsinks you chose are too small, I would believe him more than I believe your calculations.
Thank you so much for your help and guidance. I'm slowly drawing a circuit right now and I'm planning the parts. Then I'll be sure to let you know and show you pictures of what I can do.

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #18,408 of 25,560
JimL11 - has anyone done an srx+ without a pcb? I remember reading that you said it was possible. Can't seem to find a pcb and not sure where I can simply order one.

I thought HiFi was about the sound, since when did everyone get caught up on how things look? I miss the 1960s-70s diy look with simple stamped chassis and transformers sticking out - so many amps with mediocre components and nice chassis work with dozens of tubes sticking out that makes everyone go, "ooh pretty"

Sure, my original build as documented in AudioXpress was point-to-point. I wouldn't recommend the PS I published, though, it had some problems which didn't show up originally.

Apr 11, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #18,410 of 25,560
Hello,

Anyone knows who may have this tiny part for a Stax 009?
Thanks.

Paul

IMG_6546.JPG

Apr 11, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #18,412 of 25,560
Apr 12, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #18,413 of 25,560
There isn't a model (at least that I'm aware of) that blends the sound of say the MK2 and the faster and more detailed, brighter models..especially if bass is a priority. I have the L300 and it's a downgrade across the board entirely although a very, very good value for the money. Maybe look at getting the L700 back?

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm more or less new to the world of STAX so I'm not that familiar with all their products. I'm not sure whether I really want the L700 back. Because it was very "clear" and transparent and that's what made me lack the joy I wanted to have. However, as you said, maybe there's not one STAX model that is really satisfying in multiple respects.
As I said, what I really don't like about the 007Mk2 is the distance it puts between the singer and the listener. It's not intimate enough. So maybe I should give the L300 a try and see, what it does in comparison. Or, as some suggested, the new L700 Mk2 since it is said to be not as transparent as the mk1 version.
There are also older STAX headphone which are said to work well, especially with the paltauf amp. However, I don't know which one would be worth a try (if at all :wink:).

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it!

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #18,416 of 25,560
STAX 007mkI/II have the best accurate imaging maybe among all headphones.So if the vocals are not intimate sounding with 007, that's how they are intended to sound like.

Differences between mkI and mkII
007 mkI and mkII have few differences, mkII's upper treble performance is superior, however, 007 mkII(both mk 2.5 and mk 2.9) have 1khz shout/honk and the only way to fix it is to apply the spring mod.
007mkII has mid-bass hump because of the non-sealed port. I really don't like how mk2.5/2.9 sound like without port mod. While the port is not sealed, mid-bass has almost no texture and causing background hum which can mask all the micro detail. So it's totally important to apply both Spring mod and Port mod on your 007's.

Also, 007 fails to deliver proper sound like no other headphones when they are driven by weak amps. One of the reasons for that is probably 007's stator design. The holes on 007 stator perforated area are very small and the solid ring around the edges put a lot of load on amps while damping ringing sufficiently. That's one of the reasons why 007 has such amazing 10khz-20khz performance. The other reason is that probably due to 007 having a very loose tensioned diaphragm. As far as i know, it's the loosest tensioned diaphragm STAX ever have used in their headphones. When it's not controlled with sufficient amount of power, it tends to fail more.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #18,417 of 25,560
STAX 007mkI/II have the best accurate imaging maybe among all headphones.So if the vocals are not intimate sounding with 007, that's how it's intended to sound like.

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate it!
However, I'm not really sure what you mean by "that's how it's intended to sound like"? Do you mean that's how the 007 sound? Or how the Artis wanted the vocals to sound? The last one is hard to believe since basically everyone I had here to listen said the same. Vocals sound distant somehow. I found out that by turning the auricles you can improve it a bit. However, still not close enough for my tasting. Unfortunately .(

Differences between mkI and mkII
007 mkI and mkII have few differences, mkII's upper treble performance is superior, however, 007 mkII(both mk 2.5 and mk 2.9) have 1khz honk and the only way to fix it is to do the Spring mod.
007mkII has mid-bass hump because of the non-sealed port. I really don't like how mk2.5/2.9 sound like without port mod. While the port is not sealed, mid-bass has almost no texture and causing background hum which can mask all the micro detail. So it's totally important to apply both Spring mod and Port mod on your 007's.

Not sure if this addresses my questions, since I didn't really ask for the differences between 007 M2 and MI. Rather I asked for differences between the 007 Mk2 and the L700 Mk2. I once owned the L700 M1. There was no problem of voice being to far away. People often say the one that take voice directly to your ear is the L300...
But I will get the L700 Mk2 now.

However, what you said about "Spring mod and port mod" sounds very important and interesting to me. But I don't understand a bit of it :frowning2: What exactly is meant? What am I supposed to do?

Thanks again for your efforts! I appreciate it!

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #18,418 of 25,560
Yes, That means that's how the artist wanted those vocals to sound like. I owned L700, L300 and SR009. Among of all 007's imaging is better than the rest.(009 and 007 have similar imaging performance yet 007 is slightly better to my ears) .

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/3722-stax-sr-007mk2sr-007a-port-mod/ you can read more here about these mods.

Simply spring mod aims to bring drivers closer to your ears so 1k shout and mid-bass hump get a bit tamed down.
Port mod is about sealing the port of 007's so it removes the helmholtz resonance peak there. So basically you get significantly better sounding bass & bass response.

If you want really intimate sounding STAX with good technicalities, try 404LE. You mentioned L300, all lambdas sound very shouty(they always a nasty 2k peak) but L300 has the most nastiest 2k peak among of all.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #18,419 of 25,560
Interesting. I thought about doing the Port mod to my 007 MKs but in the end was happy as they were. IMO the later 007 MK2s were very close to the 007 MK1, Stax seem to have done something to level them up performance wise. What I really wanted though,was the warmth and bass of the 007 and speed and detail of the 009, if that was possible.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #18,420 of 25,560
Interesting. I thought about doing the Port mod to my 007 MKs but in the end was happy as they were.
You should at least try the port mod for a sufficient amount of time. It's reversible if you don't care for it.
When I owned the 007Mk2 w/BHSE I did the port mod & removed the springs. The bass had so much authority, solidity, precision & speed that I'll never forget it. I literally still brag about 'til this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back