The Stax SRM-001 mod thread
Jul 17, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #151 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by borisov57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi chi2,

Did you bought new srm-001mk2 or used one? New ( unmodded unit ) should work for at least 4-6 hours. It draws cca. 300mA from batteries.

Yes, I have the MKII version. It has a rather impressing sound quality but munches batteries like M&Ms. Thus I'm trying to use accus, but the Sanyo Eneloops especially bought for it don't work at all!?

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #152 of 440
I mean, did you bought your unit new or used. If you bought it used, it can have different opamps instaled with more current draw. It can eat batteries twice faster than with stock opamp.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #153 of 440
Oh, I see. Yes, I bought it new, so no energy-hungry modifications (so far
biggrin.gif
).

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #154 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I see. Yes, I bought it new, so no energy-hungry modifications (so far
biggrin.gif
).

i know why the NIMI can't be used on sr001, some battery, the polar + metal contact small cone dimension had been large, so that this can't be contact with sr001 plus, the alikline battery mostly have small cone size that NiMH one, so that please try to use small cone size
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #157 of 440
Problem solved. Kudos to sclee and AudioCats! As a matter of fact the Eneloops and Duracells have a wider cone at the + pole that doesn't fit the respective slot in the SRM-001. (In my amp the widths of the + slots in the two battery compartments are slightly different. This is why things worked with a certain type of battery in the outer/right compartment but not in the inner/left one.)
I guess I'll widen the slot by cutting away 0.5 to 1 mm of plastic on each side. This way batteries with a smaller cone will still work.

Thanks a load, chi2

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #158 of 440
With regard to the sleeves of the SR-001 I found out something that might be of interest for some of you. I guess I'm not the only one being somewhat uncomfortable with the original sleeves. After some fiddling they do give me good isolation and a very defined and satisfying bass (no lack of bass here!). But they begin to hurt after an hour or so. I was thinking of going for custom sleeves but wanted to try some existing sleeves first. The silicone sleeves of my Vmoda Vibes - despite of being round - are quite easy to mount. The largest size provides a good fit in the ear. They hurt later and less than the original sleeves and the low frequencies are quite good, too. Actually it's easier for me to get a good fit with them than with the Stax sleeves. I may still go for custom sleeves some day as the fit and feeling of my Livewires is unsurpassed.

Cheers, chi2

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #160 of 440
sorry if i am off topic, but my earspeaker's cable just broke. i have tried to repair it, but now i have humming noise. i was also wondering if it was possible to buy a new cable. Any place that shipps to Europe would be great.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #162 of 440
an update on the SFC++ configurations. I have decided to use Hammond aluminum case for battery box, they are easier to work on and are more slim than the plastic one I used before. The trade off is the internal capacity, the aluminum can only hold enough li-ion for 11 hr max.

IMGP1745.jpg

and why did I choose a case shorter than the 001? for easy access to the volumn knob.

IMGP1746.jpg

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #165 of 440
Hey, AudioCats, a quick question. Is there anything I can do about the stiffness of the knob? It doesn't turn very freely, and I wondered if you ever tried to do anything about it.
I also had some rechargeable batteries (Duracell) that didn't quite fit in the smaller slot. If you apply a little force while fitting it into the positive side, contact is just fine. Just wanted to throw that out to people who considered enlarging the positive terminal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back