The Stax SRM-001 mod thread
Jun 24, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #122 of 440
Can't wait to see it cased
biggrin.gif

And then I guess the only thing left will be how to incorporate tubes and work the words 'portable' 'blue' and 'hawaii' into a name...
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #123 of 440
I doubt it will be necessary to use tubes...

Anyway, since over sized caps will be in a additional enclusure attached to the amp, much like a booster rocket attached to a main engine to boost the power, I'd like to name the new mod after historical aero space carriers.... and these teflon are from former Soviet, so, this one will be the Proton mod
wink.gif
(sorry, have been watching too much Discovery channel lately)

Now, if that isn't crazy enough, how about a Saturn-V mod? With a 15hr power pack (maybe we can call it the fuel module), and a cap pack (with V-caps and Mundorf silve/Gold, called the booster module, to boost SQ that is).
eek.gif

teflon SQ update: 24hours into burn-in. So far the only difference I can tell (comparing to the 2hr sound), is the bass texture, it got a little more visible. I will draw the conclusion when it hits the 150hr mark.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #124 of 440
some thoughts for all you 001 fanatics:

I can pretty much predict the extreme mods now, it will use 4x opa627, and run on tri-voltage battery pack (+15v, -15v, and +4v). I/O caps can be V-cap OIMP as input and V-cap teflon as output. This will pretty much be the absolute extreme for the SRM-001 mods, the Saturn-V. (meanwhile the Delta-IV will use the AD825 with Auri/V-cap teflon I/O, and Proton-K will be AD825 with Auri/FT-3 teflon I/O. Yes, I like to create mod names
biggrin.gif
).

The possible price for this kind of mods (including a power pack), if somebody want to do it without losing money (say, @$20/hr, which is actually impossible to run a real bussiness on), the Proton-k have to go $450, the Delta-IV $600, and the Saturn-V probably $1000 (with a build-in Vcap ipod LOD though) Nuts an't it, with the mod price of a Saturn-V you can just go out and get a pair of 003 and a used T-1 amp, though they wouldn't run in a business brief case

I only plan to try out the opa627/tri-power and test it with Proton I/O's, since I already have most of the parts. The Delta or Saturn parts will be way too expensive for me. But I can see some crazy head-fi'er CEO's might be desperately needing the Saturn-V system when on a business trip....
wink.gif

Have fun

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #128 of 440
Borisov, did you mean that you will try out the silver/mica for us?
biggrin.gif
I assume you can get them easier locally, no?

I have checked out the silver/mica auctions on ebay, it seem like they are mostly 350/500v parts, I would have to get two of larger value and wire them in series...the size of 8 silver/mica will be pretty huge, approaching the size of four 0.1uf FT-3 teflon.
I might try some 1000v PIO K40Y instead, they are a bit smaller. The question is, is there really a need to do all these testing? I am pretty sure the expensive caps, such as silver/oil and V-cap teflon will outperform any cheaper caps. Since the 001's output stage is the actual bottle-neck in the system and I don't know what mod I can do to it (any suggestions without a complete rebuild?), I will need all the capacitor help available. So I will probably end up trying silver-oil or V-cap, pretty soon.
I couldn't make up my mind, so I bought some lottory tickets today. If I win more than $50 I will try silver/oil, if more than $100 I will go for the V-caps.
Otherwise...... the old plan, FT-3 teflons that I already have
redface.gif

pray for my lottory win guys, if you want to
tongue.gif

---- one week later.... hey, you guys didn't pray hard enough or not the right way or somebody prayed backwards. whichever way, I didn't win anything, as usual
redface.gif
so I take it as a sign: no extra fancy caps mods from now on.

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #129 of 440
teflon burn-in, 120 hours: the sound turned very raw. I can hear more, but that includes more problems, some probably due to recording, some due to the other area of my system. No longer overly smooth, instead not smooth enough.

90% of my CD's are now unlistenable. The rest 10% sound so very good but most of my favorits are not among them.
Maybe the extra transparency is exactly what the 001 doesn't need.

If the sound keeps going this direction, I can see the idea of ultra high-end output caps gets ditched very quickly
redface.gif

lets see if it gets any better in the next 150 hrs.

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #130 of 440
SWEET. Battery life doesn't bother me much (granted I don't get it until tomorrow), but can these mods be performed WITHOUT having to use an external battery pack? Atleast, something very similar?

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #131 of 440
Make sure you get a sony ac adapter that feeds it 4.5 volts like I have.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #132 of 440
^ How many mA will my wallwart need to be? I think I have a couple laying around that are 4.5v...

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #133 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ How many mA will my wallwart need to be? I think I have a couple laying around that are 4.5v...

If no one else responds I will have to check out mine at work tomorrow and get back with you. I really enjoy this setup at work. It is open enough and closed enough and very good sound. I also use the Sanyo batteries that are low discharge when on battery power.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #134 of 440
you will need at least 500mA of current, voltage can be between 3V and 5V. It wouldn't be a good idea to go over 5v since there will be quite some voltage drop on Q15 and it will get hot.

Of course, the more current reserve the better, but it is hard to find a low voltage power supply with higher than 1A output. I personally prefer the un-regulated power supply, somehow the regulated PSU make the sound a little "hyper" (possibly due to over compensating for the step-up power system in the amp).

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #135 of 440
I come back and use the sr001 for more that 4mouths, and didn't work on any mod, for almost 5mouth run time, the blackgate and sr001 burn in (Acturally use 200hr
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I want work on improvement because i see here so many update, and thing that the system can be improve, i real don't like the radio transparent sound but real like that musical and warm sound esp vocal, as i use belden sliver coat 3.5mm connect line as little become cold.

After study catscratch and here i just thing that:
The opamp affect the sound of sr001 as like opamp affect on normal headamp
Prevent sr001 sound and reduce radio transparent.

All AD opamp have problem is high precision but not musical, i don't like use AD on headamp but i like it DAC.

So that i plan use the NE5532 which Audiocats proved it can use on sr001 and only consume 400ma. I will use philips NE5532 ceramic which
provide warm but clear and good speed sound that normal NE5532.

I will working on change the opamp on weekend.
redface.gif

I also want to use the OPA2134, i thing OPA627 and OPA637 more speed - but for listening, a OPA2134 metal case will be better, but i don't know need of current for OPA2134, so that i will set the NE5532 first and test one channel OPA2134 (I only have one OPA2134) to see is it can work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back